Far Cry 5 [PS4, XO]

I'm about 25 hours in because of the crazy amount of side missions and diversions to get lost in, which is my gaming kryptonite for completing anything. That said, Jacob is down, John is a mission or two from going down and Faith is perhaps two or three or four missions before she is also toast.

The core combat mechanics are fantastic and I've not enjoyed an open world game as much since Horizon Zero Dawn. :yes:

edit: aslo the use of licensed music in this game is spot on. Not something youy traditionally associate with Far Cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken down John and put 20-30 hours in. Some small stuff is getting on my nerves.

• Constant forced "kidnapping", how many times do I get away from these fools?
  • Super accurate enemy gun fire. Add some rng to the bullet spread, these guys hit me from 100s of meters with hip fire. They hit my helicopter hundreds of feet in the air.
  • Too many copy-paste bad guys everywhere, the roads are always full. Spread things out!
  • Glitches, tons of them. Some are funny, some are not.
  • Strangely failed missions, sometimes its not clear why.
  • Do enemies just spawn behind you? It really feels like it.
  • Lack of variety. I guess it's hard to make a variety of white trash methheads with guns. I don't see better enemy vehicles either, where is a fortified truck? Something to be a mini-boss.
I don't think I suck at these games, but I have died a lot. Getting surrounded by hillbillies that never miss means dying quickly. I think the game was balanced around co-op, it was a lot easier with a friend, so maybe the game doesn't scale?

II don't think I suck at these games, but I have died a lot. Getting surrounded by hillbillies that never miss means dying quickly. I think the game was balanced around co-op, it was a lot easier with a friend, so maybe the game doesn't scale?

This only seems top happen to me when I'm near an actual road. The number of cultists and cultist vehicles is just absurd. What's your play style? I'm mostly playing the stealth game; Jess and peaches as dual companions, bow, silenced weapons and throwing knives for takedowns and going guns blazing every so often. I rarely use vehicles other than my combat helicopter.

The game is basically Far Cry meet Just Cause meets GTA with a dash of Saints Row IV. And for me, it's surprisingly...really good. I was expecting another tired and contrived open world game, but what we ended up getting is a rethink of how UBIsoft does open world games.

It's a rethink of the entire Open World formula that has become stale over the past few years. Get points of interest from climbing towers (in Horizons case, walking towers. :p) or something else (chefs in FFXV) that unlocks a blizzard of POIs that clutters up the map, do missions, climb more towers to get more POIs, etc.

Instead it takes a page from Guild Wars 2 with more organic mission discovery. The map starts with some general points of interest to start you off (towns, well known local landmarks, etc.) You roam the land doing your thing. You come across an event and rescue someone or liberate a place. The people that you rescue or liberate point you to a POI. Or you just randomly come across the POIs while exploring.

It generally doesn't come across as contrived or holding your hand like something like Horizon, Witcher 3, FFXV or almost all previous UBIsoft open world games

It takes Just Causes schtick of encouraging zany play by giving the player a ridiculous amount of ways to cause general mayhem. Same goes for it's GTA like encouragement of finding ways to do hilarious things with the environment.

And then, while it doesn't go quite as much off the tracks as Saints Row IV (no dildos as weapons), the story is less about reality and more about a parody of reality while touching on the paranoia that some people have about certain stereotypes. Then throw in ridiculous things like a Bear with diabetes called Cheesburger or the ridiculous time trials scattered around.

I loved Far Cry 1, I hated Far Cry 2, I loved Far Cry 3, I got bored of Far Cry 4, and Far Cry Primal was utterly forgettable and bad.

Far Cry 5 is by far the best Far Cry so far and has revitalized the franchise again. IMO, outside of Zelda: BOW, it's by far the best Open World game in the past 10 years as well.

And as icing on the cake it is also arguably the best looking open world game on the market.

I haven't purchased it for myself yet (played at friend's house and watching streams) due to the fact that I almost never finish open world games. But I'm really tempted to get this, and probably will as soon as it goes on sale.

Kudos to UBIsoft that instead of just disbanding the developers of a franchise that was struggling (here's looking at you EA), they instead kept them and allowed them to continue the franchise by not being afraid to discard the mechanisms that used to work and evolve the world mechanics of their open world games.

Regards,
SB

How does this compare to the latest Assassin's Creed Origins open world formula and quality?
Far Cry 5 a bit more immersive I assume or will it be more down to preferences such as visual quality where some will prefer one over the other.

I've taken back the John Seed area so far. I'd say playing the game feels like overeating on m&ms or gummi bears ot what have you. It's oddly compelling yet the nutritional value is next to nothing. There's the occasional nugget of brilliance in there too, but generally it gets drowned out by the constant noise. The game looks really pretty. Damn near photo realistic at times even. Too bad any sense of realism and immersion is utterly thwarted by the absurd frequency of, well, fucking everything. Often quest givers can barely finish their lines because they're getting ambushed mid sentence. Possibly for the third time. And unlike other games where you're fighting for territory, FC5 actually gets worse the more you advance in that regard. As if a patrol car every 10 seconds wasn't bad enough, FC5 eventually throws in patrol planes.
There's also quite a bit of stuff in there that's just flat out bad and/or annoying. Like the armored guys. Not much fun to fight in most shooters, but somehow Ubisoft managed to make them worse. Possibly because everyone's aim in FC5 is so dead-on. The cult members which are on drugs and therefor able to withstand barrages of head shots aren't much better either. Also, that Call of Duty-esque mission which concluded the first chapter was utterly terrible.
Story and gameplay have never blended so poorly in FC before, either. It's hard to give a crap about anyone and anything here. The militia come across like a bunch of lazy bums who couldn't be arsed to do anything by themselves. If you love your fucking truck so much, couldn't you at least come along for the ride when I'm trying to get it back? As for the cultists: they are just bloody idiots. Just how many times are they planning on letting me slip away.

On the plus side I'm really enjoying the shooter mechanics at the game's core. They are pretty damn good. Much better than the stealth/combat mechanics at the core of the AC games imo. I also like the more organic way FC5 chooses to dole out its suffocating amount of content.

Last edited:
There's also quite a bit of stuff in there that's just flat out bad and/or annoying. Like the armored guys. Not much fun to fight in most shooters, but somehow Ubisoft managed to make them worse.

I found heavies and flamers (both armoued) much easier than previous Far Cry games because armour-peircing rounds are available early on (take the Black Market perk) and it takes a single shot to the head (or fuel tank) to kill them. I've now killed Jacob and John and a few missions of the showdown with Faith just a few missions off and at this stage in previous Far Cry games every other baddie would be an armoured bullet sponge but this isn't the case in Far Cry 5.

The cult members which are on drugs and therefor able to withstand barrages of head shots aren't much better either.

Again, armour-peircing rounds to the head area one hit kills on Angels. The shotgun is also pretty effective. And fire and explosives. Or a couple of arrows from the bow.

I had planned to go mostly melee, bow and knives in this game as I like stealth but the different enemy types got to change up. AK-MS, .50 AMR are both now essential parts of the arsenal, as it's the $7,200 combat chopper with machine guns and rockets. Because sometimes it's just fun to blaze in and strafe everything with two Nick and Adelaide riding airborne shotgun.

Yes cultists, you can have your apocalypse now. :yes:

Just taken down Faith, the final battle was so ridiculous I don't even know if it's good or bad any more :LOL:. Also if Bliss was real I can totally see how it could benefit the humanity at the right hand.

How does this compare to the latest Assassin's Creed Origins open world formula and quality?
Far Cry 5 a bit more immersive I assume or will it be more down to preferences such as visual quality where some will prefer one over the other.

I can't really say. I've heard that AC:O has revitalized that series and that's it's good, but I don't generally like open world games, and was burnt out on the standard open world formula (I don't know whether AC:O sticks to that or not, even) that I didn't even look at it or try to play it.

I wasn't going to bother with FC5 either for the same reasons, but I kept constantly hearing friends and people I watch stream saying how absolutely awesome the game was that I finally broke down and watched some streams. After watching it a bit I went over to a friend's place to try it out for a couple hours. It's really quite good.

I don't get the difficulty comments, myself. Hard mode seems pretty well balanced all the way through end game. Normal mode is a bit easy as expected.

At first I was thinking that perhaps the game's difficulty was tuned to KB/M (easier aiming, easier to line up shots on multiple enemies, easier camera movement for situational awareness, etc.) but I've seen people playing on controllers that did well as well. Caveat to that, the airplane controls on KB/M are complete crap.

But perhaps it's related to what DSoup has mentioned. If you use the right loadout, enemies that some people think are hard are in fact quite easily taken down.

Another thing to use for people having difficulty, make explosives. Promiximity explosives and remote detonated explosives wreck everything except planes. :p They are easy to craft, easy to aim, and easy to use (no timer to cook like you have dynamite). In fact, they probably make the game far too easy.

Regards,
SB

Funny Far Cry 5 video

Last time I've heard this music (at 3:50 in the video above) was somewhere in the 1980s. Its called Hooked on Classics.

Last edited:
I had a much easier time recently, it's all the unlocks really. Two helpers, seeking rocket launcher, 50 cal sniper, etc. The amount of damage a random bullet does from a mile away from an AK is still ridiculous, but at least now I can take them out faster with my crew and arsenal.

PS You can get Tulip the attack chopper from one mission at the marina place. No need to buy anything.

PPS do all the Peggi stash mission as soon as you get them. Easy 3 points.

But perhaps it's related to what DSoup has mentioned. If you use the right loadout, enemies that some people think are hard are in fact quite easily taken down.
I've yet to encounter any enemy that can't be brought down quickly with the right approach. Even planes and helicopters can be brought down if you can see the pilot and shoot him/her and if you can't, you know roughly where they are so use a sniper rifle with armour-piercing rounds which do seem to penetrate vehicles. Explosive arrows are also a great counter to armed helicopters which like to fly close. Or throw sticky explosives at them - you can hit plans bearing down on you too with this approach.

As far as I've found, nothing survives a single headshot from a shotgun with explosive rounds.

Another thing to use for people having difficulty, make explosives. Promiximity explosives and remote detonated explosives wreck everything except planes. :p They are easy to craft, easy to aim, and easy to use (no timer to cook like you have dynamite). In fact, they probably make the game far too easy.

Explosives are great and I recommend upgrading the base types to sticky explosives as soon as you can. :yes:

Why must sony games constantly pollute other threads? I saw new posts and came here to read stuff about gaming stuff in FC5, and I've just wasted my time reading an entire page of Ubisoft vs. Horizon (isn't there a thread in technical for engine comparisons or something?). There's nothing game oriented in any post on this entire page. At the very least if you're going to have a technical discussion of something, shouldn't it be done in the technical forum?

Regards,
SB

I saw new posts and came here to read stuff about gaming stuff in FC5, and I've just wasted my time reading an entire page of Ubisoft vs. Horizon (isn't there a thread in technical for engine comparisons or something?).
I always check the last poster before even clicking a thread. Some posters you just know aren't talking about the game. :nope:

Still haven't killed Faith.

Too. Many. Distractions. :runaway:

Far Cry 2 vs Far Cry 3/4 Gameplay:

Completely different concepts. Far Cry 2 with its mixture of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Crysis is rather mine and its my favourite in the series so far.

Far Cry 2 vs Far Cry 3/4 Gameplay:

Completely different concepts. Far Cry 2 with its mixture of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Crysis is rather mine and its my favourite in the series so far.

The original Far Cry (basically the pre-cursor to Crysis) was far better than FC2. If I had to put them in order of ones I liked the best. FC5, FC1, FC3...and then the rest were just either bad or boring, IMO. The original Far Cry was the graphical showcase on PC for the longest time. No hardware on the market at the time it came out could run it at max settings at 60 FPS. Hell most hardware at the time struggled to run it at max settings at 30 FPS without drastically reducing the resolution. But that's understandable as that was Crytek's first game and the first iteration of CryEngine. It also forms the basis for the Dunia engine.

I kind of want to go back and play the original FC. I'm just not sure where my CDs for it are. :p

Regards,
SB

Back