Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
little to any work needed for upgrading existing games, keeping huge installed base... Strong arguments

and also building up a "bridge" towards a 2023 PS5 that can be only compatible with PS4-pro2 upgraded games but not with vanilla PS4 games

What is the point of releasing half baked consoles, l don’t see the logic, the last two were released just because of 4K t.v and v.r and that’s about it. I believe the ps5 will be a major upgrade, its timing 2020-2021 would have many things going for it,
7nm(I’m hopeful), VR2, a huge 4K tv installer base, cheap 4K drives. Better understanding and implementation of AMD tech.

I’ve had every PlayStation since the first one, I think backwards compatibility hursts game sales a little. The reason l believe this is that say for example you had bought the ps5 and it was bc, then if there was one ps5 game you really liked then you would buy just that one game for now and hold off buying any others because you had your existing ps4 library to go back to.
But if you had only ps5 games to choose from then you may be more inclined towards buying more ps5 games for your new consol.

There are, I just value perfect compatibility for my games rather than 95-99% :p

What Microsoft is doing is extremely impressive, but it's still no replacement for 100% on board bc. I completely understand

why most people would choose a lesser form of BC for more power and a fresh start.
I think the key here is to just have BC. After which beyond the functionality of playing 95% of the library, I think it’s diminishing returns on satisfaction.

When BC was first introduced, following some of the threads here, there wasn’t a large debate whether it was even necessary. That it would not be this killer feature. And most people were interested in the new games.

Given that BC Will have it’s greatest impact during the transition period of the generation. Whether we have to go through more hoops to access it I don’t think people care as much as it just being there.

This, I believe impacting any more performance of the console to do more than bare bones BC, is likely to not be the best move in the long run.

Given that BC Will have it’s greatest impact during the transition period of the generation.
I think there's a second point of impact, at least in mindshare, and that's nostalgia and revisiting old titles. A PS5 that plays PS3 games with improved visuals would hit a positive nerve for fans of obscure titles that never got sequals, sort of thing. Even if they never play those games because they're playing new stuff. A PS5 that can play improved Ps2 games would definitely get my attention more than a PS5 that can't. I'd like to play BGDA and XMen Legends again.

That's talking about distant future compatibility regards this gen, though. Current gen will just be old and rubbish when next-gen comes out, and won't become veteran, matured, classic until next-next-gen when everyone sits around the old folks home saying how the XB1X was the best console and these new-fangled machines aren't as fun as the games they used to play. Which of course they will be able to play as XBooooox9999 GTX will play XB1X games, and XBTuu games, but nobody will like XBTuu games.

You see now why everyone talks in terms of PlayStation generations?? At least with consistent numbering we know what the hell we're talking about!

little to any work needed for upgrading existing games, keeping huge installed base... Strong arguments

and also building up a "bridge" towards a 2023 PS5 that can be only compatible with PS4-pro2 upgraded games but not with vanilla PS4 games

Then why not a Pro3 in 2023 to build a bridge towards 2026 PS5? Or a Pro4 in 2026 to build a bridge towards 2029 PS5?

At some point Sony will have to let devs make games that aren't necessarily compatible with a 1.8TFLOPs base GPU and low-clocked+low-IPC CPU cores.
By 2023 I guess even the devs making games for stand-alone VR headsets using ULP SoCs (Snapdragon 920 with LPDDR6?) might have more leeway than the ones targeting the PS4Bone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a second point of impact, at least in mindshare, and that's nostalgia and revisiting old titles. A PS5 that plays PS3 games with improved visuals would hit a positive nerve for fans of obscure titles that never got sequals, sort of thing. Even if they never play those games because they're playing new stuff. A PS5 that can play improved Ps2 games would definitely get my attention more than a PS5 that can't. I'd like to play BGDA and XMen Legends again.

That's talking about distant future compatibility regards this gen, though. Current gen will just be old and rubbish when next-gen comes out, and won't become veteran, matured, classic until next-next-gen when everyone sits around the old folks home saying how the XB1X was the best console and these new-fangled machines aren't as fun as the games they used to play. Which of course they will be able to play as XBooooox9999 GTX will play XB1X games, and XBTuu games, but nobody will like XBTuu games.

You see now why everyone talks in terms of PlayStation generations?? At least with consistent numbering we know what the hell we're talking about!
Yea, having the option seems more important than the quality of the BC. It’s there if appetite for older titles need to be satiated, but it’s not front and centre.

Semiaccurate is bragging about guesses ending up partially correct, as an argument to give credibility to what is claimed to be a leak. This is a big red flag in "journalism".

Semiaccurate is bragging about guesses ending up partially correct, as an argument to give credibility to what is claimed to be a leak. This is a big red flag in "journalism".
It's $1000 for a year sub. lol

It's $1000 for a year sub. lol
And the links to his proof of credibility from 2013 is also behind the pay wall.

To be fair he often has real stuff so maybe it's one of those times he's got legit leaks. Even claims to have release date and silicon specs, that's a lot more bold than the previous stuff which were mostly educated guesses or already leaked info.

EDIT: "two possible launch dates, one more solid than the other"
Hahaha!!! That's fishy as fsck.

Last edited:
Maybe he's right or wrong, but it looks like the rumors are starting to pick up a little steam so I think we'll get something legit soon.

That's not a red flag to me. This early, I don't think that both MS and Sony themselves have rock solid release dates.
There are no launch dates when it's years in advance, it would be just a rough month target. It would only narrow down to a choice between two date as marketing plans go forward, delivery schedules have to be planned worldwide, launch games must be ready for day 1, etc....

Unless the leak is not two dates, but two time frames. As in "aiming for november, or possibly march if something goes wrong and we can't hit BF"?

Or otherwise if it's this year... Something like nov 12 or nov 19.

Last edited:
There are no launch dates when it's years in advance, it would be just a rough month target.
For a console it would almost certainly be autumn timeframe, like september-october-ish if at all possible, for christmas holiday sales boost. Christmas sales eats up so much of ordinary peoples' money that they're poor for a full quarter and poor-ish for another. Effing up and missing that boat is a big hit in the nads, sales-wise. For 3rd parties as well, who will have games lined up and so on, and in this day and age with more games than ever multiplatform, you don't want your new platform to miss that sales window. The games lined up for it will be old hat on other systems by the time your hardware is ready for launch... :p

Of course it would not be hard dates like Nov/11/19, but more like Q4 2019/20.

But I guarantee that they already know and are planning for a specific quarter even if they expect to hit it ~2 years from now. The amount of work on the hardware and software side, not to mention on the supplier and manufacturing side, is immense and can't simply be scheduled months in advance. These products take years to execute. And even then it's a mad rush until the very end.

Oh the article is out on Resetra (in screenshot form). He's claiming that the GPU is Navi based and could be a 2018 product. I think he's off a year or it's a typo. He's also claiming that the dev kits are out. Nothing on the CPU nor actual specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, a guy on resetera paid the 1000 and posted it.

So it's a fucking scam. Zero insider info, it's not even worth continuing to talk about it here, utterly moronic.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...ubscription-to-read.33810/page-2#post-6311500

Basically they are guessing it will be zen/navi and then said it shoud be q4/2018 or q1/2019... Because that's when navi is coming out. That's pretty much it. Teh internets bits are being wasted as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back