Windows 10 [2018]

WTF does windows do this, its been bugging me for ages

search for a file eg "fileX"
10 minutes later, searched the harddisk it returns the results ~100 files, with name,date,location info etc
great but say I wanna reorder them by date, it researches the whole harddisk again.
WTF you just found them all, I just want you to reorder them so I can see what's the one I want, why do you spend another X minutes researching the disk looking for the stuff you have already found

whenever the startmenu disappears for me on windows 10 (prolly once a week), I kill explorer.
Killing explorer makes a bunch of my icons in the systray go AWOL, after nearly a quarter century of this same shit microsoft hasn't fixed that problem. Unbelievable.

Oh WOW thanks man, that program actually works, Its at least 100x quicker than what windows does.
You've gotta wonder why Windows Explorer doesnt use the same method
Killing explorer makes a bunch of my icons in the systray go AWOL
Very Minor bug, but anyone noticed this, its been like that for at least 6 months, The icon hilights at the wrong position
windows.jpg

Windows 10 S is continuing the Apple-/Googleifcation of Microsoft.
They want Windows 10 S, which is in a walled garden where applications only come from the Windows Store, to be the primary Windows 10 version people use. Sounds like Windows RT redux, hope it fails as RT failed.

Eh, they're discontinuing 10S as an actual product and merging it back into their traditional win10 SKUs. That's taking a step back for all intents and purposes, as it'll be entirely up to the customer if they want to step inside Microsoft's iron maiden and close it on themselves. MS would have no say in the matter.

I saw an article the other day indicating how every copy of Win 10 S is eligible for a free upgrade to Win 10. I wonder what the stats are on how few actually go forward with the free upgrade.

Oh WOW thanks man, that program actually works, Its at least 100x quicker than what windows does.
You've gotta wonder why Windows Explorer doesnt use the same method

Very Minor bug, but anyone noticed this, its been like that for at least 6 months, The icon hilights at the wrong position
windows.jpg

Yeah but for me it comes and go randomly.

The icons also randomly got duplicated into another apps..so all apps will have the same icons

Has anyone tried the VR interface? Or know of anyone who has?
Was reading some stuff about things they are working on for next big Win 10 update & it was mostly work on the VR stuff.

Am I really missing out or is actual usage of that stuff tiny as I suspect?

I saw part of the MS presentation where it was introduced. It looked fucking hokey, and corny as hell. I don't see how it would be in any way useful, or even usable. But, YMMV, I guess.

Is there any way to turn off Windows help in this fucking piece of shit OS? For the many'th time after booting it Windows automatically opened up some crappy win10 help page in Firefox, in the process fucking up the restore last session option in Firefox so everything I had open is gone.

Shitty programmer will be shitty.

Theres a help system? How did you trigger it?

Oh whoa, I've never seen that. I'm kind of surprised considering how many times various NV drivers have crashed my system. NV drivers + Edge + long browsing sessions is a recipe for disaster. Chrome doesn't as long as JavaScript is disabled and you don't watch too many YouTube videos simultaneously with Twitch video streams. Other combinations of factors also trigger NV driver hangs (system, programs, etc. continue to run but the graphic subsystem stalls causing Windows 10 to revert to a basic graphics driver until the system is rebooted). It's stupendously annoying.

Regards,
SB

Microsoft start testing ads in Windows 10 Mail and Calendar app
It appears ads, which are becoming increasingly pervasive on Microsoft’s Windows 10 operating system, have now reached the Windows 10 Mail app.

Users on Reddit are now reporting that a banner has shown up in the Windows 10 Mail app in a space above the Mail, Calendar and People buttons. The banner cannot be removed except by closing the menu, and currently advertises the Office 365 subscription service.
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-start-testing-ads-in-windows-10-mail-and-calendar-app/

Is it any different from the sort of ads that Google GMail uses on their email service?

Is it any different from the sort of ads that Google GMail uses on their email service?
I don't think so. But according to the article Microsoft did criticise Google for doing this in the past.
The ads in the mail app are somewhat ironic, given Microsoft’s ad campaign against Google a decade ago, criticising the company for reading user’s email and showing them ads appropriate to the content of the email. Gmail is, of course, a free service, while most users pay for Windows 10 when they purchase their PC, making the operating system ads a deal Windows 10 users have not really signed up for.

Oh my. Throwing stones and glass houses and all that.

Though does anyone really want to pay for an email client anymore? I'm surprised the use of separate email clients for general consumers is even a thing (they still exist) in this day, considering so much flexibility is available online. Yes, it's rather crappy to have ads for what people consider is now core functionality of an OS.

Gmail has ad's?
just checked couldnt see any, apart from the obvious ones (emails from companies)
maybe I changed something in settings years ago

Back