Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Played WO VR for a couple of hours. Wonderful experience! I've always loved WipeOut, although I've never been that good in in. In VR it feels a bit easier, managed to gold some events that were difficult to finish even third in non VR. Maybe racing feels a bit slower... I'm playing on novice difficulty though.
For a free update should really not complain, but was a bit let down that all the ships seem to be basically same models with unique team textures. The cockpit is also same no matter which ship you choose.
No motion sickness at all, but I've never been prone to that anyway.

I'm curious how this is gonna play out on the higher/highest speed classes. Even though Wipeout is one of the slowest future racers you can currently play (except for when you're in zone mode where it'll eventually out-speed the entire competition), to me the devious track layouts become near impossible to handle without the added awareness the third person camera provides. Either way, cannot wait to play this when I get home. Gonna miss that HDR, though.

A lot of things are sorely lacking in VR. That's just the price you have to pay for immersion right now. That said, HDR would be the easiest thing to implement on a hardware level. Still, being right inside a low res representation of reality feels alot more believable than what can be accomplished with even the biggest and most prisitine of screens.

doesn't HDR add lag ? could be incompatible with VR.

well i just tried wipeout VR...i had high hopes for this...and i must say...it's pretty amazing

If Ready Player One is a massive success, it could be a huge boost for VR. I still believe PSVR will reach 5 million sales by end of this year.

Can you play any part of Wipeout in VR or is it just for a couple of vehicles/tracks?

doesn't HDR add lag ? could be incompatible with VR.

That depends on your tv. Or rather depended. I believe none of the 2017 models do. The 2016 lg Oled did , but this was not the fault of HDR. HDR simply wasn't initially available in game mode. If you wanted HDR, you had to switch to one of the various cinema presets which added a ton of input lag no matter whether your source signal was SDR or HDR. This got rectified by a fw patch, though.

One of the more recent updates gave us an unlocked framerate, so it seems they've been edging closer to the 60fps minimum.

As for stereoscopy, it's worth bearing in mind that PSVR displays 960x1080, so isn't much more costly than rendering in 2D at 1920x1080.

I think the base PS4 version will just display lower quality assets. If this is true. Please be true. Pleeeeeeease!

Last edited:
Seems it couldn't be done on PS4. You need the current game at solid 60 Hz minimum, only rendered stereoscopically.

Well I read somewhere that the game has gone through substantial optimization since launch and can actually ran a 60 FPS on PS4Pro. Plus even if it comes for PSVR it might come with limitations / caveats?

Additionally, if this really comes it is another testament to Sony commitment to PSVR. Why would they be doing this without Sony's support?

One of the more recent updates gave us an unlocked framerate, so it seems they've been edging closer to the 60fps minimum.

As for stereoscopy, it's worth bearing in mind that PSVR displays 960x1080, so isn't much more costly than rendering in 2D at 1920x1080.
True, but then there's the extra border rendered beyond what's visible. So there's definitely more needed to be drawn.

True, but then there's the extra border rendered beyond what's visible. So there's definitely more needed to be drawn.

Well, RE7 deals with the lesser performance of the OG PS4 by dropping below standard resolution and adding the fake foveated to save performance. I saw plenty of people (not necessarily here) saying Skyrim was impossible to port to PSVR before it was announced and law and behold it works quite well. Granted that NMS is procedurally generated but I can't see why it would make a difference for it to be VR or not? Surely the procedural process only happens once independently of having two view points?

EDIT - I never read about it, but since this is an online game, I wonder if the procedural generation is actually made on the Cloud?

Back