God of War [PS4, PC]

I played everything except Ascension, and I'm very much eager to finally see Kratos evolve. Everything they've shown so far looks to be spectacular.

Spectacular they are indeed. The lighting is sublime and accentuates the high quality assets perfectly.
God-of-War-Screen-12.jpg

The in game model quality is just ridiculously good.
god-of-war-screen-6tapot.png

For me, the GoW series wasn't my favorite, but I played and enjoyed all but ascension. GoW3 was great, but the series definitely needed a change for me to be interested in another GoW game, and I'm liking everything I'm seeing so far.

It is possible to not throw the baby out with the bathwater, though. You can make radical changes to gameplay without comepletely ditching the things that made it special in the first place. God of War just never really tried that before. Save for a couple of extra moves, every God of War plays exactly the same. Well, except for Ascension where combat was changed to accomodate a multi player mode nodody asked for. Now compare that to the competition. Look how Devil May Cry has evolved from 1 to 4. In terms of sheer depth, DMC3 and DMC4 are downright oceanic compared to the first game. They still feel like Devil May Cry, though.

Curious little aside: people bitch and moan about narrow FOVs in fps games. Rightfully so I might add. For some reason they seem to be okay with this though. Even though it actually necessitates having to watch out for blinking colored symbols which alert you to off screen enemy attacks. Heck, if the camera was any closer it'd be stuck inside Kratos's ass.

What I really liked about GOW I and II were the weapons and the diversity of the combos with them. What they lacked however was a story behind them (excepted for the blades of chaos). Each encounters were also memorable.
The epicness of the cinematic actions was phenomenal and lots of games failed to mimic it. I really didn't like most of the weapons in GOW III they all looked the same excepted for the gloves same for Ascension that is my least favorite.
I guess i 'm gonna have to get used to " no free jump button " ala TLOU and see how it goes but so far the only BTA action adventure game that i liked without a jump button was God Hand...
I 'm glad they focused on single player campaign this time but I woudl'nt be against some DLC with maybe ? another character or chapter ?

Come to think of it, it kinda does look like God Hand, doesn't it? What I'm really curious about is the supposed 35 hour length of the campaign. That's an insane number of hours, and I can hardly think of one action game that didn't start to drag a little once you've passed the 10 hour mark to be honest. Even the mighty RE4 could have done with some trimming, and the brisk campaign of The Lost Legacy was a huge reason why I found that game so much more enjoyable than Uncharted 4.

I hope it bodes well for ample boss fights big and small, a very thorough rendition and exploration of all those different realms, enough weapons, upgrades, runic magic to keep the progression interesting, well developed characters and arcs and of course cool puzzles. They did take their sweet time tho for 5 years in the making, so that length is the fruit of all the labors.
Saw the new leaked footage, they went all out with the gpu particles as the whole screen was showered in it, lighting looked CG like.

I hope it bodes well for ample boss fights big and small, a very thorough rendition and exploration of all those different realms, enough weapons, upgrades, runic magic to keep the progression interesting.

That is exactly what I' m hoping too. As I usually make only one playing session of games before playing them again. Especially games that don't allow the players to go back to previous sections. I am really a bit skeptical about the combat system although i liked what was shown in the gameplay videos. What I would have loved is more hazard traps or kind of interactive environment takedowns ( like in GOW ascension multiplayer ). I know that the focus will be more story-driven but I really like games where each players have their own way of doing things. I haven't seen the classic QTE finishes but the gore and brutal finishes are still there. I just hope Atreus support character won't talk too much lol.

Yup the graphics look mind blowing, I love the particle effects and I can't wait to see what they' ve done with the snow and water effects. Also I wonder how effective the transitions between gameplay and cutscenes will be. Also the first boss battle of the first 2 hours or 3 is supposed to be really epic. Can't wait to see more. I would' ve loved Sony to drop a demo on the PSN like they did before :'(
I wonder how the gameplay with R1 andR2 will work as well....I know you can remap the buttons like previous GOW, I m not really fan of the triggers on the DS4 for BTA games but well let's see.

Again pretty much everybody including all the critics were wowed and enjoyed that preview footage despite been rendered at 30fps in 4k mode, yet not a sight of uproar was found ;). This should serve as a critical reminder that pretty pixel always trump framerate to the mass audience. Now imagine they showed the 60 fps footage looking half as good, blurry, jaggy, low res to the media, we'll hear an ocean of downgrade, grassgate from half of Resetera and N4G would be littered with GoW PS4 Downgrade Headings all the way till launch day, imagine how damaging that would be to SMS in terms of sales and reputation. There's a reason why they advertise the 30fps/4k mode first even though they have the 60fps mode already.

If it’s a ‘performance mode’ like in HZD, then no real point. The game already runs almost flawlessly in 4K, and the performance mode just outputs a very noticeable lower res for pretty much no real performance gain in 99.99999% of the game.

4K all the way for 4K users, no doubt.
Absolutely.

It's going to be an uncapped mode. 100% sure. Guerrilla never said their 'performance' mode was "Smoooooth" and that the extra power at 1080p was being put to good use (because it obviously wasn't)

All God of War games, and even their 2016 demo, were using an uncapped framerate. I know that Cory much prefer playing with a uncapped framerate, particularly on a 1080p screen.

The only reason that it will ship with a 30fps cap is because of marketing reasons: Sony doesn't want any negative technical analysis of the game. If the game was uncapped by default at launch, then we know half of Digital foundry analysis would only be about shitty and juddery framerate. Like they did in their incomplete Monster Hunter World analysis.

The only reason that it will ship with a 30fps cap is because of marketing reasons: Sony doesn't want any negative technical analysis of the game. If the game was uncapped by default at launch, then we know half of Digital foundry analysis would only be about shitty and juddery framerate. Like they did in their incomplete Monster Hunter World analysis.
Yep. Because we all know millions of potential customers will avoid buying, even if people are saying it plays smoothly, on account of a DF technical article saying it drops frames. Look how shittly MHW has sold since DF dumped on it...

Back