Dolby Atmos Support?

Can the ps4 and ps4 pro handle dolby atmos for games?

I’m sure that theoretically it could handle it. They do handle 3D sound for the PSVE after all. It’s just not supported as Sony would have to pay Dolby for the license, I’d assume? Shame cause my atmos setup is screaming for atmos in games.

I'm not sure, but their Platinum headset (I think that's the one) supports what they refer to as 3D audio, whereas the earlier, cheaper Gold headset supports 7.1.

So it seems that the hardware is capable of Dolby Atmos or something like it. Maybe they're being funny buggers and gating it behind the headset, maybe their 3D audio is some shitty approximation of Dolby Atmos.

Surely there's nothing earthshatteringly special about atmos. Seems to me, it's merely higher sound bitrates, possibly more channels, and a fancy trademark label slapped on top to make people all wet and excited about it... :p

No. Atmos as a format is amazing. It just doesn’t seem to require anything super fancy. After all you can get Atmos starting from a 5.1.2 setup, which is the same number of channels as 7.1. Whereas 7.1 has 2 rear channels, the 5.1.2 Atmos track has two overhead channels. Same difference really, especially when games are already running complex 3D worlds. I’m sure that more channels require more power but this seems to be trivial on current hardware. My money is on simply not wanting to pay Dolby for the license.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but their Platinum headset (I think that's the one) supports what they refer to as 3D audio, whereas the earlier, cheaper Gold headset supports 7.1.

So it seems that the hardware is capable of Dolby Atmos or something like it. Maybe they're being funny buggers and gating it behind the headset, maybe their 3D audio is some shitty approximation of Dolby Atmos.

3d audio is handled through an external hardware via platinum headset or psvr break out box. Reason why I ask is because I thought someone here may know more about the audio chip inside ps4pro more. If you look at xbox one, only the one s and x support it but not the original. I think MS has beefed up the hw in the new models. Looks like ps4 will be missing out spatia sound for the rest of the gen. Was really hoping AAA first party games lije gow and tlou2 will support atmos. For anyone that down play atmos for games, they obviously havent experience atmos for games or only on crappy hardware.

I'm pretty sure the Dolby Atmos app is available for the original Xbox One. In fact, I used it. The issue is it does not have a UHD BluRay drive, so there is little to no content for Dolby Atmos on the original Xbox One. But Dolby Atmos Headphones will work for pretty much any game that outputs surround sound.

There shouldn't be any real tech roadblocks for Dolby Atmos for Audio Receivers on the Sony platform. There aren't any on the MS side. The only additional cost is if one wants Dolby Atmos For Headphones support, then its a one time $15 cost but then you can use it on PC and/or Xbox.

On the PC and Console side there is another option for Windows Sonic for Headphones, which is free.

I think the only reason Sony doesnt support Atmos is they haven't focused on audio yet.

PS: sorry for expanding the topic to both platforms, but the two should really be mirrors of one another for what's supported.

So if the cost is only on the liscencing side, say if a particular game wanted to have atmos support on ps4, the dev would have to pay for it but not sony? I see some xbox one version of games support atmos but not only ps4 like ACO. Thats very lame and disappointing consider ps3 support superior pcm 7.1 for the entire generation . The only small slight hint of a possibility of ps4 atmos support is zone of the enders 2 mars because the JP site specifically said dolby atmos but not on the english page. That can also be a typo or pc only feature. Ps4 support atmos bit stream out on bluray but never on games I know, I dunno how og xbox one work with atmos, may it is also bluray only. Some bluray like game of throne already support atmos you don’t need uhd bd for atmos. If Sony actually block atmos support to get ppl to buy their platinum headset, that’s incredibly short sight. And headphone is never as good as a real home theater.

I don't really know how atmos licensing works. I'd assume the devs have to pay the licensing fee? Microsoft has users pay for the app, so then the devs don't have to pay the license? In terms of Bluray output, the home theater receiver would carry the license, I guess, so bitstream out would work, but if you wanted atmos for headphones there'd need to be a license on the console?

I'm as close to certain as you can be that there aren't any technical barriers on Playstation for atmos.

Xbox users only need to pay for the app for Dolby Atmos for Headphones; so if they want Dolby Atmos via HDMI there is no charge to the end user.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/dolby-access/9n0866fs04w8

1. Start a free trial of Dolby Atmos for Headphones within the app, or buy it via a single in-app purchase. Dolby Atmos for Headphones works with any pair of stereo headphones.
  2. Set up Dolby Atmos for home theater, which can be used for free with any Dolby Atmos compatible home theater system, TV, or sound bar.

Xbox users only need to pay for the app for Dolby Atmos for Headphones; so if they want Dolby Atmos via HDMI there is no charge to the end user.

1. Start a free trial of Dolby Atmos for Headphones within the app, or buy it via a single in-app purchase. Dolby Atmos for Headphones works with any pair of stereo headphones.
  2. Set up Dolby Atmos for home theater, which can be used for free with any Dolby Atmos compatible home theater system, TV, or sound bar.

Yes, I mean on developer end, should works like Dolby digital 5.1.

tried it months ago. I was about to purchase it but I tried the temporal demo and then I changed to the current laptop that I use and just yesterday I finally purchased it for 17€. Not very cheap but not super expensive either.

I am using it on a really decent laptop with a very mediocre sound but it works to great effect. I mean, you don't need to have headphones. Since when you use a laptop you are usually close, left and right sound channels are pretty distinguishable and noticeable, as if you had a headset on.

Taking into account the very poor bass performance of my laptop, the sound is more crisp and fuller, be it either music or just your typical chat. Since I use the same account for my Xbox, Windows and so on devices, I can try it on the Xbox One now :D

I am using it on a really decent laptop with a very mediocre sound but it works to great effect. I mean, you don't need to have headphones. Since when you use a laptop you are usually close, left and right sound channels are pretty distinguishable and noticeable, as if you had a headset on.
There's a fundamental, physical difference. Spatial audio for headphones cannot work properly on speakers placed in front of you.

Surely there's nothing earthshatteringly special about atmos. Seems to me, it's merely higher sound bitrates, possibly more channels, and a fancy trademark label slapped on top to make people all wet and excited about it... :p

Nope, atmos is completely different.
Previous multi-speaker streams in audio/video files (up to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD) had simple audio tracks fixed to each speaker.

Atmos and DTS:X work more like a game audio engine. Audio producers can either fix an audio track to a speaker (usually done for voice acting) or they can have up to 128 tracks as 3d positional objects. Then each spatial object track will play in a speaker setup according to number of speakers and each speaker's position.

That said, there's no "hardware" reason for the PS4 to encode its audio output into Atmos. Speaker-wise, what Atmos compliance brings as novelty is the ability to configure top-firing speakers, but HDMI 2.0 already has the ability to output LPCM up to 32 audio channels so there isn't an actual hardware requirement here.

What consoles do need is a speaker calibration app so that they could connect to any HDMI 2.0 receiver and calibrate their speaker output to the room's several speaker positioning.
Atmos is needed for movies and the standard does help with possible complications when setting things up, but there's no need for Atmos in games.

I think Steam Audio and other solutions are probably better than Atmos for games. They do all of the same 3D positional work, but work in a lot of advanced stuff for sound occlusion etc. Essentially most games should be able to do all the stuff atmos does and then mix it into a 5.1 dolby mix so your receiver can play it.

Back