No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

any news ? I love this game. More variety is needed in textures and space basis. They probably aiming to a profitable free to play... Who know something about 1.5 ?

Nothing yet, as far as I'm aware. It seems that the Atlas Passes for the ARG have all gone out now, so it's just a matter of waiting to find out what that ARG actually is, and what it teases.

1.5 is something of a milestone (personally, there's something about .5 that's always felt like an integer) and I quite expect it to be released on the game's birthday.

I bought it for next to nothing and have played a bit. Enough to repair a couple things but still nowhere near launching my busted up ship. Hard to find game time.

Save for them to implement procedural-generated cities and enabling actual multiplayer with friend invite systems so you can make quests together, I really don't know what else they can do with this game.

Oh and VR, of course.

They've still a ways to go with a few little tweaks, but it's mostly just a matter of variety. The core gameplay loop has settled down into something worthwhile though, so they can just optimise and expand now. After VR, that is.

What No Man's Sky would really need in order to keep me hooked with its primary goal, i.e. the exploration o the galaxy, is a sense of believability in its procedural generation. Every planet in this game is a collection of smallish rolling hills, crevices, repeated atmospheric conditions and a certain amount of plants and animals (most of which look really, really stupid) I want a planet with a Grand Canyon like structure every now and again, or an Olympus Mons, or a gas giant. Something you'd come across in actual space exploration. As it is, it all comes across as mostly random, yet still endlessly repeated nonsense. I have no urge to explore this galaxy because I know exactly what I'm gonna find anyways. All that's left to do then is to participate in an endless grind for basically no reason whatsoever.

Seems like Hello is fully aware of that given how all the major updates are geared towards keeping the player grounded in one place for as long as possible. When I found out I couldn't even take the space buggy with me I was done with the last update. Seriously, what was the point?

What No Man's Sky would really need in order to keep me hooked with its primary goal, i.e. the exploration o the galaxy, is a sense of believability in its procedural generation. Every planet in this game is a collection of smallish rolling hills, crevices, repeated atmospheric conditions and a certain amount of plants and animals (most of which look really, really stupid) I want a planet with a Grand Canyon like structure every now and again, or an Olympus Mons, or a gas giant. Something you'd come across in actual space exploration. As it is, it all comes across as mostly random, yet still endlessly repeated nonsense. I have no urge to explore this galaxy because I know exactly what I'm gonna find anyways. All that's left to do then is to participate in an endless grind for basically no reason whatsoever.

Seems like Hello is fully aware of that given how all the major updates are geared towards keeping the player grounded in one place for as long as possible. When I found out I couldn't even take the space buggy with me I was done with the last update. Seriously, what was the point?
I understand your point of view, but I also understand how others just enjoy the ride, the same as when you go out for a walk, without a specific goal and for no other reason than just enjoying the walk.

Oh, I did enjoy the game for quite a while for precisely that reason. But eventually I reached a moment where I was wondering what the point of it all was. Hello has been dodging that uncomfortable question ever since. Instead they've been erecting massive walls of answers to entirely different questions around it.

Last edited:
On the one hand, I like the idea of playing this multiplayer with friends. On the other hand, I feel it'll get boring and samey pretty quickly. After you've built a base...then what?

You wait for the next update :p

I generally don't like procedural games, neither do I like walking simulators, but this one's got something special about it. I think it's the strange, ghostly atmosphere.

Anyway, given how cheap it is now, I'd recommend it to anyone, even if only for dipping into it every few weeks or months. For less than the cost of a couple of cinema tickets, you get a whole universe in which to meander.

really looking forward to the Next update, I stopped playing when I had nice setup with freighter, few ships, farm and I'm ready to go back to see what changed ... hope I don't loose everything with the new update

There's an interview on EG with Shawn Murray. He says they've been selling plenty which is why they ignored the noise...
And you didn't walk away from the game.

Sean Murray: Yeah, I mean... I'd love to to take credit for that as some sort of selfless act or whatever, but people don't realise it's easy for that story to run away with itself. I know I'm bias but these facts are pretty much out there - there were stories that there were massive drop-offs of people playing No Man's Sky. I think PC Gamer did this thing where they were comparing our chart with lots of other games, and it's actually normal, and No Man's Sky is doing better than those games. We could see that, we could talk to Valve and to Sony who were super helpful and they were telling us people are playing this game for a phenomenally long amount of time.

You guys were writing stories about there being massive refund rates, and that's not true - our numbers were slightly above average on PC, but that's par for the course when you have a game that sells a lot of copies and people play it on min spec machines, below min spec machines. They were way under the average on PS4, say - but we had no credibility to come out at the time and say these things. Who would believe us? Probably no-one will believe me now. That's why we were doing updates. We're not doing it altruistically. You can see when our updates come out, we go to the top of the steam charts, our numbers go up the same as it would for any big title. I'm not saying there's no story there - there's definitely problems, there were definitely people who were angry. But you give me too much credit by saying we stuck with the game out of altruism.

Back