Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is actually a good thing. Because, I realised the other day with the realtime raytracing progress, the moment we can produce content indistinguishable from reality is the moment we can't believe a single thing we see on a screen. Governments and the mega-rich and uber-crims will be able to go full-fat Running Man for real with machine-learned 3D modelling and composites and photo-accurate rendering.

They’ll actually be able to make videos of Flat Earth that look real.

Did they release the specs of the machine they ran those demo's on ?
I'm immensely impressed by all of the tech that they showed
off at GDC.

Even if it isn't "Photorealistic" or "The illusion fails",I would hope most can
admit that this is an incredible leap forward.

IMO, young Kurt Russel from opening scenes of GOTG2 is the best facial CGI job I've seen so far. IMO, zero issues.

Squadron 42 New Skin shader
Skin Shader (1).jpg Skin Shader (2).jpg Skin Shader (3).jpg

Almost as good as Star Citizen

/troll

Genuinely though, that looks stunning. The fur on the kid's perfect.

Do you want to say that this looks more realistic?
image_god_of_war-37545-3634_0001.jpg

image_god_of_war-37545-3634_0003.jpg

Last edited:

You should post better pictures because i still failed to understand how these pictures are supposed to be impressive for an AAA pc game... the game still has the same problems : textures, shaders, beard.

Otherwise, everything else looks good. The geometry is particularly impressive.

The problem is that the game fails on the most important points.

For instance, if we exclude the hair, everything looks more realistic in this model :

image_detroit_become_human-37753-3428_0014.jpg

Last edited:
Squadron 42 New Skin shader
These are shockingly low res face textures in S42, low res beard alpha and lack of SSS? Not impressed. Also Kratos has real time muscle deformation all over his body for the added realism.

These are shockingly low res face textures in S42, low res beard alpha and lack of SSS? Not impressed. Also Kratos has real time muscle deformation all over his body for the added realism.

Star Citizen has a runtime wrap deformer "that makes skin attachments such as beards, eyebrows, haircuts, caps, hats, helmets and similar objects deform realistically on customized/morphed heads even during animations. While this technique is commonly used in VFX and animated feature films, it is not usually (if ever) used in games. This implementation combines the unique strengths and features of this deformation method with the speed of traditional deformers like skinning and blendshapes"

And this is shockingly high res and the most realistic human model you say?
image_god_of_war-37545-3634_0001[1].jpg

You should post better pictures because i still failed to understand how these pictures are supposed to be impressive for an AAA pc game... the game still has the same problems : textures, shaders, beard.

Otherwise, everything else looks good. The geometry is particularly impressive.

The problem is that the game fails on the most important points.

For instance, if we exclude the hair, everything looks more realistic in this model :

image_detroit_become_human-37753-3428_0014.jpg

Supersampled high res image vs. YouTube video. I could search for images on Detroits Youtube videos too.

"Everything is better"

Shure haha

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, the point the industry has reached with look and motion on these most recent demos get it done for me.
They still have that slight synthetic look, but they are close enough for me to buy it if I allow myself to sit back and just enjoy it. They've reached the point that most subtle cues from an actors performance get captured closely enough that I can read their emotions and such. If games can start reaching that bar I'm content. All gains onwards are just a bonus at this point.

As far as I'm concerned, the point the industry has reached with look and motion on these most recent demos get it done for me.
They still have that slight synthetic look, but they are close enough for me to buy it if I allow myself to sit back and just enjoy it. They've reached the point that most subtle cues from an actors performance get captured closely enough that I can read their emotions and such. If games can start reaching that bar I'm content. All gains onwards are just a bonus at this point.

I agree. We’re pretty much ‘almost there’. Give or take a weird look here and there.

Star Citizen has a runtime wrap deformer "that makes skin attachments such as beards, eyebrows, haircuts, caps, hats, helmets and similar objects deform realistically on customized/morphed heads even during animations. While this technique is commonly used in VFX and animated feature films, it is not usually (if ever) used in games. This implementation combines the unique strengths and features of this deformation method with the speed of traditional deformers like skinning and blendshapes"

And this is shockingly high res and the most realistic human model you say?
View attachment 2506
Have to see that deformer in motion, got a link?
Also Kratos definitely has much higher texture res it's blatantly obvious as day light, most realistic? Well aside from the grey skin tone yeah it's up there in terms of shading, SSS, texture detail, mesh density, hair rendering and muscle deformation. He also maintains this quality throughout the entire game unlike SQ42 where its cutscene LOD 0 model is way better than the in game model, not to mention the lighting downgrades.

Of course talking about real time in game model.

Don't we agree that Kratos is full of war-paint? That he's deliberately designed the way he looks? Other characters in the game look just fine (or have more subtile amounts of make-up).

In general one also has to keep in mind what realistic means. Most people in the media, have a thick layer of make-up and powder on their faces, blocking basically a great deal of SSS. People start to believe others look like in the photos and movies and shows, which besides the make-up are also under rather artificial light design, you don't and can't place diffusors everywhere and set them up very naturally, that's just the nature of being in a studio.

Recognizing this, leads to the insight, that everything - except barebone unmodified naturalistic faces/feets/hands/.... - is a designed face/foot/hand/... Make-up is a design tool, light is a design tool, camera is a design tool, post fx is a design tool ..., people design their self-image or that of others since forever.

What kind of realism are we talking about here? Physical interaction realism? Because a lot of the rendered imagery has a "real" counterpart in some movie or show. To me Kratos is realistic, just like the painted aristocracy of the 16th/17th century. Maybe he should sweat a bit (lot) more, but maybe gods don't sweat. :) On the other hand, almost no media representation of people I find naturalistic, but ofc they are real(istic).

Supersampled high res image vs. YouTube video. I could search for images on Detroits Youtube videos too

Then why did you post high res pictures of God of War ? Double standard ?

But i agree, not all models look this good in Detroit. Some are less impressive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back