Sea of Thieves [XO, PC, XGP, PS]

The kids are home today due to snow storms so tried another session at lunch time with the boy. Much better today with both of us showing online the Xbox App and was able to invite to a group in the game immediately. We were able to get in and do a couple of voyages for chests, we had a blast! Now I need to try and teach the boy the concept of steering a ship.

The kids are home today due to snow storms so tried another session at lunch time with the boy. Much better today with both of us showing online the Xbox App and was able to invite to a group in the game immediately. We were able to get in and do a couple of voyages for chests, we had a blast! Now I need to try and teach the boy the concept of steering a ship.
yea last night was absolutely horrid for connections.
That being said they did manage to recover somewhat. There must have been a lot of players logging on yesterday.

I am going to play tonight if anyone wants too. I would have been on yesterday but wasn't back from my proposal weekend

Is it possible to have all your friends in the same online instance if you have more than 3 friends around?

The way their servers are setup it's almost impossible.

Each server instance holds 24 people.

However, server's will dynamically move crews around to try to ensure that there are 24 people within an area of the overall map. IE - to try to not have a situation where say there's 20 people all on the right edge of the map and 4 people on the other side of the map on the left edge.

Basically they want to make it so that if people are doing their quests and sailing around, there's a reasonable chance they'll run into other people, but the areas are large enough that it isn't going to become a clusterflock.

Also it should eliminate a situation of a crew sailing around an empty map as happens with traditional dedicated server games where the server population is low.

The downside is that if you have a group of friends that are more than 4 in total, it'll be almost impossible to play together. The upside is that if you aren't in a large group of friends or "clan" that has massive numbers, you won't run into a mob of 20 people all intent on killing your crew of 4 or less. :p

Regards,
SB

The way their servers are setup it's almost impossible.

Each server instance holds 24 people.

However, server's will dynamically move crews around to try to ensure that there are 24 people within an area of the overall map. IE - to try to not have a situation where say there's 20 people all on the right edge of the map and 4 people on the other side of the map on the left edge.

Basically they want to make it so that if people are doing their quests and sailing around, there's a reasonable chance they'll run into other people, but the areas are large enough that it isn't going to become a clusterflock.

Also it should eliminate a situation of a crew sailing around an empty map as happens with traditional dedicated server games where the server population is low.

The downside is that if you have a group of friends that are more than 4 in total, it'll be almost impossible to play together. The upside is that if you aren't in a large group of friends or "clan" that has massive numbers, you won't run into a mob of 20 people all intent on killing your crew of 4 or less. [emoji14]

Regards,
SB
They do merge servers when a server doesn't have many players. Just hope you cashed your stuff in. You can lose stuff in the merge.

Tommy McClain

Maybe they hide that by having a Kracken Attack?

There's no global warning + timer countdown?

Nope, no warning other than you might notice a "hitch" as you are transitioned to another server.

Since time of day, weather, water, etc. are all synchronized across all server instances (yay cloud services) there's no discontinuity moving between instances.

Regards,
SB

Must learn to look after my boat rather than trying to kill skeleton pirates for the bounty.... had wondered what all that noise was.... trip back to island to try and find skull doesn't seem like a good plan, reminds me of starting an EQ corpse run near midnight...

My kids and I are having a blast sailing around doing Voyages. Thankfully we haven't had many encounters with other players as I know it just wouldn't be as fun for them and I know that's part of the game but there are of course different people who simply won't just attack on site. One time on just a sloop with my son we were anchored and a galleon sailed past us. I shouted out Ahoy! and my son proceeded to shoot a cannon at them as they went past, he's such a pirate! I hear yells from the players that they're just passing and not a threat. I scolded my son and explained we try not to attack unless we're attacked first.

We ran into our first serious storm and my daughter kept saying she can't control the ship and doesn't know what direction she's going and asked me to take over. I then discover it's not easy controlling a galleon in a big storm! Between trying to keep control of the ship, bucketing water out of the hold and trying not to run into islands we made it out of the storm and they said that was the most intense and best fun they've ever had in a game.

The first thing my son bought when he had enough gold was a hook lol

Damn this game is gorgeous.

My kids and I are having a blast sailing around doing Voyages. Thankfully we haven't had many encounters with other players as I know it just wouldn't be as fun for them and I know that's part of the game but there are of course different people who simply won't just attack on site. One time on just a sloop with my son we were anchored and a galleon sailed past us. I shouted out Ahoy! and my son proceeded to shoot a cannon at them as they went past, he's such a pirate! I hear yells from the players that they're just passing and not a threat. I scolded my son and explained we try not to attack unless we're attacked first.

We ran into our first serious storm and my daughter kept saying she can't control the ship and doesn't know what direction she's going and asked me to take over. I then discover it's not easy controlling a galleon in a big storm! Between trying to keep control of the ship, bucketing water out of the hold and trying not to run into islands we made it out of the storm and they said that was the most intense and best fun they've ever had in a game.

The first thing my son bought when he had enough gold was a hook lol

Damn this game is gorgeous.
That's so damn cool! Man, I can't wait for my son & daughter to get old enough to play this with me. Daughter is playing simple platforming games though. If you see me online playing those it's probably her. LOL

Tommy McClain

Back