Learning about GPU profiling - AMD or Nvidia

Scott_Arm

Legend
I'm thinking about building a pc, and one of the things I really want to do with it is finally do some real graphics type programming. I'll probably get Unity 2018 to play around with, but also do some from-scratch programming. One thought that crossed my mind is how early I want to start looking at GPU profiling, and whether it would be better to pick AMD or Nvidia. AMD has Radeon GPU Profiler. Nvidia has something, but I can't remember the name. And then there's PIX for Windows.

I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist, so free or cheap tools is how I'll be doing this. I'm not sure of the difference in the tools, or which might provide me with more value in terms of learning about profiling and optimizing. I'm sure it'll take some time to get to that point, but I want this computer to last me a while, especially with current gpu prices.

I'd also be interested in opinions in terms of when to start looking at profiling as a mechanism for learning. Is there such a thing as too early or too late?

PIX for Windows is for DirectX 12 only.
Radeon GPU Profiler is for Vulkan and DirectX 12 only.
Visual Studio has a built-in graphics "debugger" and analyzer.

PIX for Windows is for DirectX 12 only.
Radeon GPU Profiler is for Vulkan and DirectX 12 only.
Visual Studio has a built-in graphics "debugger" and analyzer.

So maybe my choice should also be around the api I choose to learn as well. Vulkan is cross-platform, so I might consider starting there, which leans towards RGP.

So maybe my choice should also be around the api I choose to learn as well. Vulkan is cross-platform, so I might consider starting there, which leans towards RGP.

It certainly influences you engine design in a forward looking way. I suggest you either go with DirectX 11 or with any of the other newer APIs. If you want to cover both domains it's going to become a huge headache, and much less enjoyable to advance your engine.

It certainly influences you engine design in a forward looking way. I suggest you either go with DirectX 11 or with any of the other newer APIs. If you want to cover both domains it's going to become a huge headache, and much less enjoyable to advance your engine.

I don't know if I'll ever get to the point where I'm making an engine. Probably stick to one of the new apis, dx12 or vulkan.

I don't know if I'll ever get to the point where I'm making an engine. Probably stick to one of the new apis, dx12 or vulkan.

Well, if you try to program something on your own, even just for learning, and you reach a certain level of abstraction, you can call it a "engine", no problem. :)

Well, if you try to program something on your own, even just for learning, and you reach a certain level of abstraction, you can call it a "engine", no problem. :)

Fair enough.

I actually forgot that I saw this project MoltenVK for Mac, which means I can actually get started learning to use Vulkan on my macbook before buying a PC.

Back