Shadow of the Tomb Raider [XO, PS4, PC]

So the main villain is
latest

judging by the symbol. Or is this what Lara has become after all those years of rough outdoor activities?

Can't wait to see some gameplays.

Considering how well some of the franchises which took inspiration from gaming's past have done, maybe we'll get an actual TR game for once? I'm not wishing for tank controls mind you. Just some mechanical depth and mastery that goes beyond knowing which controller button does what. Take those cut-scene budgets and put 'em into level design instead.

Set in the future on the moon and in the end she has to fight Cyber-Jason.
It should be set the Canadian prairies, and you just spend hours running through fields.
So the main villain is
latest

judging by the symbol. Or is this what Lara has become after all those years of rough outdoor activities?
  • Lara is visiting Samantha in Japan as 7 days out there will be a solar eclipse there.
  • Lara then finds a VHS in one of her dad's secret stashes, labelled Eclipse of the Moon Princess
  • *Story DLC* Learn how Lara embarks on a mission to find a functional VHS player that doesn't cost her a literal fortune on eBay!
  • Samantha is revealed to be the reincarnation of the Moon Princess, and that Himiko was her Earthly rival (being the Sun Queen and all)
  • It is also revealed that the two souls are meant to battle during solar eclipses over Japan
  • Without Himiko, the seemingly evil Sun Queen from the first game (who was later banished to a mirror in the comics), the Moon Kingdom would win and would thus usher in eternal darkness on the Earth (until the next battle/eclipse over Japan)
  • Trinity is after Sam and the mirror. CONFLICT.
  • Samantha's Moon side shows more and more as the week goes on, and Lara is dramatically and intensely conflicted.
  • Lara becomes a Priestess of the Sun and then shatters the mirror containing Himiko, who then partly possesses Lara, and they are transported to the moon to fight evil Moon Princess Samantha.
  • In the ensuing battle, Lara/Himiko is in a state of space dementia and confesses her true love for Samantha and realizes that the harmony between the two would solve the problem
  • During the end credits - Lara and Sam marry and retire to Saskatchewan whilst showing off TressFX & L'Oreal adverts
  • Post-Credits - Jonah digitally enhances, recovers and watches the last part of the VHS and he goes wide-eyed and says "OH NO". The voice of Lord Croft is heard repeating an ancient proverb "A shadow cannot be cast without the Sun." DUN DUN DUN
  • SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER

Last edited:
Considering how well some of the franchises which took inspiration from gaming's past have done, maybe we'll get an actual TR game for once? I'm not wishing for tank controls mind you. Just some mechanical depth and mastery that goes beyond knowing which controller button does what. Take those cut-scene budgets and put 'em into level design instead.
I recently finished the first instalment of the reboot and I think the game is brilliant.

On the tank controls... I liked them and I still do! :D I wouldn't mind a new Tomb Raider game with that kind of accuracy so that I can perfectly calculate my platforming movements.

I liked the game as well. Brilliant? - Nah. I certainly would have liked it a lot more if the traversal mechanics weren't of the braindead Uncharted variety. You know, the kind into which you have to put actual effort in order to fail. It's like TR on opposite day. The recent TR games are third person shooters with some extremely light puzzling. Puzzling that's mostly optional for heaven's sake.

I liked the game as well. Brilliant? - Nah. I certainly would have liked it a lot more if the traversal mechanics weren't of the braindead Uncharted variety. You know, the kind into which you have to put actual effort in order to fail. It's like TR on opposite day. The recent TR games are third person shooters with some extremely light puzzling. Puzzling that's mostly optional for heaven's sake.
I come directly from Tomb Raider: Underworld, and I liked the new approach, even though I'm a massive fan of the first games. It made me truly wonder how this "new" believable character would become the Lara we all have been known for two decades.

I think the level design is very good and the cinematic experience is well integrated within the gameplay. I mean, it wasn't a pain in the ass, to me, and I even missed some cinematics in the middle of the game. Also, the supernatural twist was unexpected, to me. I've been avoiding info from this game all these years, and I thought it to be a "realistic" Tomb Raider, so I didn't expect what I found, and I also liked that it was subtle at the beginning.

By brilliant I mean that it's well designed and it's fun to play, and it managed to do this over an old formula, to renew the series. Even though it may feel a bit unchartedish, it still felt fresh, to me. So I'm 100% happy with my experience.

I don't have an idea about ROTR, though. I'll have to play it soon.

Oh, I would also like to mention that I felt this game was some kind of transition into what I expect to become another game more similar to old Tomb Raiders, so that's why I, maybe, was more forgiving with the lack of complexity, acrobatics... swimming... :D I hope I'm not mistaken.

ROTTR is the same game basically. The optional puzzles are slightly more complex, though. Story is more akin to the mystical nonsense of the older games, but due to its po-facedness it's also a lot less charming.

^I feel betrayed. So, I let myself fall under the spell of that game, and it turns out that there's nothing more to expect, no evolution towards what I miss.

Back