Final Fantasy XV [XO, PS4, PC]

Is that the Thundara spell? Lightning + Fire?

Regards,
SB

I completely forgot why the spell name is. I only remembers it have very wide area effect and not just kill all the soldiers but also stunts my teammates.

Promoto looks hilarious doing the electric dance

Worth noting he says specifically how SSAO is used with FF XV:

He must be confused about VXAO in FFXV then, this is VXAO on a 1080 Ti:

You can clearly see AO being culled in screen-space, even with VXAO. If what durante is proposing is to only use VXAO and completely disable in-game SSAO then I agree, it's better that way. But it looks like because they separated the two different options there are quite a few problems that can be caused by running both at the same time.

Last edited:
He must be confused about VXAO in FFXV then, this is VXAO on a 1080 Ti:

You can clearly see AO being culled in screen-space, even with VXAO. If what durante is proposing is to only use VXAO and completely disable in-game SSAO then I agree, it's better that way. But it looks like because they separated the two different options there are quite a few problems that can be caused by running both at the same time.

Sorry thought it was clear, that is exactly what he does and also proproses due the SSAO implementation as done for FF XV.
His concern about the implementation of SSAO in FF XV that I linked and quoted earlier, seems to be correct as others have noticed what he describes at resetra, plus he is a very technical modder (really more than just a modder) that has corrected quite a few games in the past.

Last edited:
I know who durante is :p

It's just that the way they've implemented VXAO in this game is weird (i.e. not as an ambient occlusion option). Although that might be better overall, because we can completely disable screen space AO.

I know who durante is :p

It's just that the way they've implemented VXAO in this game is weird (i.e. not as an ambient occlusion option). Although that might be better overall, because we can completely disable screen space AO.
Then you should know it was very unlikely he was confused :)

Part of my earlier quote from him that you may had missed:
So I use VXAO only in this game.
In response to someone suggesting using both VXAO and SSAO.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...performance-thread.27680/page-19#post-5353269
Same page as the earlier link I gave.

Last edited:
Regarding the thoughts on VXAO and how implemented relative to say RoTR, the reason is VXAO went through an evolution after that game and also that games own lighting mechanics - took time to remember where to find the article.
Basically they had to change how they used VXAO with RoTR due to the games lighting solution meaning combining with AO solution such as HBAO+.
After RoTR and the experience from that, Nvidia also revised VXAO, hence why it is no longer potentially unusual to run it outside of game's own AO options depending upon implementation.
In Rise of the Tomb Raider, not all locations benefit from VXAO equally well, and the reason for that lies in the game’s art and lighting solution. The game has separate channels for ambient lighting and ambient occlusion, and how exactly they are used is determined by materials. The ambient occlusion channel is often applied on top of direct lighting as well, and because VXAO is not a local effect and tends to add occlusion to large surfaces, some lights become dimmer. So we had to apply VXAO to the ambient light channel instead and keep HBAO+ in the ambient occlusion channel in order to achieve the best look.

It became clear that VXAO is mostly a long-range effect, and it’s useful to combine it with some short-range SSAO technique to highlight small features which cannot be adequately represented by voxels. For this reason, VXAO now includes an optional screen-space occlusion pass so that you don’t have to work with a separate SSAO library.
I think the RoTR situation and implementation also was possible with the Unreal engine depending upon versions.

Talks about RoTR near the bottom: https://developer.nvidia.com/vxao-voxel-ambient-occlusion

Last edited:
Then you should know it was very unlikely he was confused :)

Yeah I guess I was confused about the way they've implemented VXAO in FFXV :p

In RotTR, like you posted already, they've combined HBAO+ with VXAO to get the best possible results. SSAO in FFXV is just so strong that it creates a lot of artifacts.

That's an unusually deep graphics analysis from DF but unlike they have said it's not the best graphics game in my opinion. The Division is still the game with the best visuals on PC (next to Wildlands) and that has environmental destruction everywhere. However, Final Fantasy XV plays high up in the upper league.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess I was confused about the way they've implemented VXAO in FFXV :p

In RotTR, like you posted already, they've combined HBAO+ with VXAO to get the best possible results. SSAO in FFXV is just so strong that it creates a lot of artifacts.
Well they did it in RoTR like that because it is not technically implemented correctly anyway due the lighting mechanics, although even if they could they learnt it still would need an SSAO pass for smaller details that they added after RotTR, but in FF XV the game's own SSAO is implemented more on larger-scale occlusion hence the artifacts and with how VXAO now works it can be used without a game's SSAO (when a game does not have a great implementation).
Not saying it is perfect, but a consideration when compared to how a game implements SSAO.

Last edited:
Well this is interesting.
DSO compared the pirated version to the Steam version; conclusion very notable performance differences; https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/...xv-runs-faster-better-than-the-steam-version/

Some issues possibly come back to the Steam Overlay (seems to exacerbate the memory leakage amongst a few other factors), but that would not explain a lot of the performance behaviour seen.
Does not necessarily mean it is Denuvo (there was Durante's test comparing demo version to retail), just something is fundamental with the consumer Steam retail version - cannot be said if it applies also to the Microsoft Store version as it was not tested.
One other fundamental difference with the Durante test to DSO was the resolution where Durante set it as low as possible (rendering at 50% of 1280x720 resolution), it should not matter but still something to bear in mind.
Another important divergence I missed 1st time reading is DSO using HDD, which would show much greater differences to Denuvo factors in the retail version - to reiterate I am not saying everything is down to Denuvo but some factors would be exacerbated.

Biggest caveat is at times IMO the DSO site is not optimal in the methodology/behaviour analysis for game performance.
Edit:
DSO noted the difference when:
However, things went downhill once we upped the resolution to 1080p and started exploring the vast environments

Last edited:
So, decided to give the co-op DLC a try. And what do you know, again a poor port.

There are no options to customize controls in the DLC, so one assumes it inherits the controls from the main game. And for the most part they do. But they for some they don't. In the main game my pick up objects/interact button is (S). In the DLC it just decided to make it [W] instead. WTF? Thankfully [W] still works as my warp button like in the main game. But it's annoying to have to use a different button to pick something up in the DLC.

Also, when asked to enter a name for my Avatar, it wouldn't accept any keyboard inputs except for [Enter] or [Esc] which means my character in the DLC is now named Avatar. Ugh.

Also, the whole self shadowing and/or skin shader system is borked in the game if you are in an area with something overhead but it is daylight out. I've got plenty of in game shots that Promto has taken that show it. At this point I wonder if it's just the engine or if it's the crappy NV drivers (it reminds me of the fucked up rendering that NV had in Warframe and Guild Wars 2 when AMD drivers rendered everything fine). I'm inclined to think it's the engine, but I just do not trust NV drivers to render things correctly anymore.

Regards,
SB

Iris, you've let yourself go, lass. Those thighs. :p Ignis' cooking is just too good.

39vfjaI.jpg

Yeah, the lighting/shaders in this game are really weird sometimes.

Regards,
SB

Using only VXAO is really good in this game, it's probably the best AO right now. But boy oh boy does this game like VRAM, it's eating up like 10-11 gigs on the 1080 Ti, so pretty much all of it :)

Made a gif, comparing SSAO vs VXAO indoors:

ffxv_vxao1xu3o.gif

Native 4K screenshots: SSAO - VXAO

And that's with "high" quality SSAO. By enabling VXAO only you get rid of banding and haloing artifacts, and culling "artifacts" as well.
Thanks for the test.
Nice to see the benefit of only VXAO resolving the issue of banding/artifacts with how the game's SSAO is implemented.

Last edited:
Using only VXAO is really good in this game, it's probably the best AO right now
I agree wholeheartedly. In this game and in Rise of Tomb Raider it's a must have.
But boy oh boy does this game like VRAM, it's eating up like 10-11 gigs on the 1080 Ti, so pretty much all of it :)
The game suffers from a horrible memory leak right now, it eats through system RAM, video RAM, and then even virtual memory pretty quick. I am using a system with 16GB of RAM, I got by just fine using 3GB of virtual memory, until I met FF15, where I had to increase the virtual memory limit to 10GB to avoid constant crashes of the game.

I agree wholeheartedly. In this game and in Rise of Tomb Raider it's a must have.

The game suffers from a horrible memory leak right now, it eats through system RAM, video RAM, and then even virtual memory pretty quick. I am using a system with 16GB of RAM, I got by just fine using 3GB of virtual memory, until I met FF15, where I had to increase the virtual memory limit to 10GB to avoid constant crashes of the game.
No memory leak here, VXAO has a massive hit on Vega and i just dont see it coming anywhere near close to being worth it.

No memory leak here, VXAO has a massive hit on Vega and i just dont see it coming anywhere near close to being worth it.
Unfortunately it has a big reduction hit on both due to how it works:at 1440p Nvidia 19% with GTX1080 and AMD 26% with Vega 64 reduction in performance according to Computerbase.

Part of the memory leak situation seems to be from the Steam Overlay.
You using Microsoft Store or Origin instead?

Last edited:
Back