AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Slides also leaked:

https://videocardz.com/75194/amd-ryzen-2000-series-exposed-pricing-performance-leaked

What gets my attention is that AMD seems to be a lot more bullish with their prices with this new generation of CPUs. The performance difference towards the Intel counterparts are now purely symbolic.

ckPIef4.jpg

Also note the lack of 2800X to better match Intel counterparts

Well Coffee Lake tops with the 8700K for now and the 2700X seems to be already pushing the envelope well enough through that 105W TDP.
I'm guessing the 1800X wasn't all that popular since most people could just buy the >30% cheaper Ryzen 1700 and get nearly the same results with some overclocking.
But the most popular was definitely the Ryzen 5 1600 and I'm guessing the 2600 will follow suit, so that's where AMD is really applying the pressure with the $200 price point.

I'm really hoping for Ryzen 2's CCX to come with 6 cores and 12MB cache now.

Still >5% single thread performance advantage for Intel is something

Hope to see some some reviews testing both Cofees and Ryzen 2 with memory kits to make them shine the most

So the clocks from above link
AMD-Ryzen-2000-modelos.jpg

3.7Ghz base 4.35Ghz boost not that huge improvement vs 1800X 3.6/4.0 and with higher 105W TDP.
Looks like a much healthier bump vs 1700X 3.4/3.8 though.

I guess holding back on a 2800X assuming Intel brings out something quicker?

Higher TDP to allow it to hit/stay at the high boosts longer? (also with the newer turbo tech looking to keep higher turbo across more cores) Or because they're pushing hard against that performance cliff?
Clearly some improvement in that cliff though, gonna be interesting to see whether it will overclock much above 4.35Ghz. (what sort of OC is easy for Intel these days?)

Is better RAM speed -> uncore (or whatever AMD calls it) clock why L2/L3 seem quicker? (the CPU-Z screen says its at same CPU clock/RAM speed though)

Why do they have to have so many different turbo techs :confused:
AMD-Ryzen-2000-tecnologias-3.jpg

Can't they just bundle it all together under one name?
I wonder sometimes if the different techs can wind up fighting against each other?

I guess holding back on a 2800X assuming Intel brings out something quicker?
Nope, just cutting down the amount of models & matching Intel naming. They're also dropping Ryzen 3 x300X and Ryzen 5 x500X and moving to Intel-esque tick-tock-cycle where every other year comes new/improved architecture with new process and every other year process maturity + efficiency update to said architecture

Hmmm, the 2600X no longer matches clock (Base/Turbo) of the top CPU like the 1600X did. That makes it less attractive as an alternative. Where the 1600X you only sacrificed 2c/4t to the 1800x with the 2600X your sacrificing that plus base/turbo clocks compared to the 2700X.

Regards,
SB

Hmmm, the 2600X no longer matches clock (Base/Turbo) of the top CPU like the 1600X did. That makes it less attractive as an alternative. Where the 1600X you only sacrificed 2c/4t to the 1800x with the 2600X your sacrificing that plus base/turbo clocks compared to the 2700X.

Regards,
SB
Overclocking is still a thing.

Nope, just cutting down the amount of models & matching Intel naming. They're also dropping Ryzen 3 x300X and Ryzen 5 x500X and moving to Intel-esque tick-tock-cycle where every other year comes new/improved architecture with new process and every other year process maturity + efficiency update to said architecture

Its not really intel-esque, its just a stepping revision for the enthusiast consumer market as 2 year cycle is a bit long for that market , notice no revisions for the APU or for EPYC. New steppings pushing performing forward bit by bit in the enthusiast market used to be a much bigger thing when intel/amd competition was very close P4, K7 days ( TB-A, TB-B, Barton).

I ended up having to get a 1700x and a b350 board but I am loving it and I am not to mad since I got the 1700x for $200 . I do hope they come out with a higher end APU perhaps a 6 core with a faster vega attached or even some hbm on die. I'm loving the 2400g system I bought my gf but would have liked something a little better. Hopefully next year they put something like that out and I can just upgrade hers

Overclocking is still a thing.

Yeah, I don't overclock the CPUs much anymore, the increased power consumption isn't worth it to me. For example, the 1600 OC'd to 1600x (stock) levels uses far more power than the 1600x at stock settings which made it a worse deal after a couple years (I usually use my CPUs for 2-4 years) depending on electricity costs in your area. The same was true for the 1700x versus the 1800x, except there the cost difference between the CPUs was large enough that you could still save a little bit of money over time with the 1700x.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I don't overclock the CPUs much anymore, the increased power consumption isn't worth it to me. For example, the 1600 OC'd to 1600x (stock) levels uses far more power than the 1600x at stock settings which made it a worse deal after a couple years (I usually use my CPUs for 2-4 years) depending on electricity costs in your area. The same was true for the 1700x versus the 1800x, except there the cost difference between the CPUs was large enough that you could still save a little bit of money over time with the 1700x.

Regards,
SB

Undervolting is where it's at :p

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12642/amd-ryzen-2nd-gen-details-4-skus-reviews-19th
Preview stuff, not review till 19th.

Edit: hint at some special XFR sauce or a later 2800X?
Users might note that this is called the 2700X, whereas the top of the pile in the previous generation was called 1800X. We know the reasons why, but they are technically under embargo until the 19th. What we can say is that the previous model of XFR, whereby the CPU can boost beyond its turbo frequency, has been replaced. More details on the 19th.

Last edited:
Edit: hint at some special XFR sauce or a later 2800X?
There is no need for 2800X anymore with the new XFR. The chip ditches the old per core turbo range, it now adjusts clocks based on temps, vcore, current and other factors, if all parameters are good it will keep boosting even if all cores are fully loaded. So in effect, you could have the 2700X at 90% usage and still boosting to 4.1GHz (from 3.7GHz), as opposed to the 1800X which collapsed to the base clocks of 3.7GHz any time it's usage exceeded 2 cores.

There is that remote possibility AMD will sanction few select top dies for halo overclockers product like 2800X Black Edition if it adds 100 or 200MHz headroom on top. Otherwise, as DavidGraham said, there is no reason for one to exist.

There is that remote possibility AMD will sanction few select top dies for halo overclockers product like 2800X Black Edition if it adds 100 or 200MHz headroom on top. Otherwise, as DavidGraham said, there is no reason for one to exist.

I should have my 2700x on Thursday, will report back with results if I have some free time :)

Back