All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If an install base doubles, you can't expect software sales to double. Racing games in particular are pretty niche and usually only sell well in EUR; FH3 is no exception. It constantly charts in the UK but is no where to be seen elsewhere. That's not to say sales dropped off a cliff everywhere else, but the UK is the only country where we have proof that it is consistently performing well.

So with that said, I kinda doubt it sold 4-5M... maybe 3-4M, which is still very good, especially for an XB1 exclusive racing game.

Car games sold well in Europe. GT5 sold 12 millions and mostly in Europe. The problem for FH3 is the Xbox One is not very popular in Europe. The 360 sold less than PS3 but it gains some marketshare compared to the og Xbox. They lost probably everything they gain during 360 era with the Xbox One. I think the best sales for a racing game at the end of the generation will be GT Sport because it is on PS4 and because Gran Turismo is a good brand in Europe... But the sales will be far from the peak of the series 6/7 millions would be very good... Car games are less popular...

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

GT 5 sold 11,94 millions and 7,380,000 sales were coming from Europe

Last edited:
Since Shadow of the Tomb Raider announcement is a day away, does anyone know what has sold more, RotTR on Xbone or PS4?

Car games sold well in Europe. GT5 sold 12 millions and mostly in Europe. The problem for FH3 is the Xbox One is not very popular in Europe. The 360 sold less than PS3 but it gains some marketshare compared to the og Xbox. They lost probably everything they gain during 360 era with the Xbox One. I think the best sales for a racing game at the end of the generation will be GT Sport because it is on PS4 and because Gran Turismo is a good brand in Europe... But the sales will be far from the peak of the series 6/7 millions would be very good... Car games are less popular...

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

GT 5 sold 11,94 millions and 7,380,000 sales were coming from Europe

FH3 was announced at 2.5 million (99% sure that's end of 2016) last February https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2017/02/13/forza-franchise-exceeded-1-billion-retail-sales/

At that point it was 400k in the UK, if the same ratio kept up for 2017 it should be around 5 million sold now. Maybe some more for the 2.5 months of 2018.

That's very good for a console with half the install base of PS4. It's easily one of MS's biggest first party hits. Well above proper Forza 7 too I'm sure.

I wish MS would announce some 1st party games sales more often, to provide some good cheer to the brand, and objectively counteract this "Xbox has no games" thing so popular with youtube blowhards for last two years. Maybe they are afraid of looking bad next to higher PS4 numbers because PS4 has 2X the install base. Maybe they just dont care or think about it, I dunno.

I guess they (or the developer) have been announcing PUBG player count for what that's worth.

FH3 was announced at 2.5 million (99% sure that's end of 2016) last February https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2017/02/13/forza-franchise-exceeded-1-billion-retail-sales/

At that point it was 400k in the UK, if the same ratio kept up for 2017 it should be around 5 million sold now. Maybe some more for the 2.5 months of 2018.

That's very good for a console with half the install base of PS4. It's easily one of MS's biggest first party hits. Well above proper Forza 7 too I'm sure.

I wish MS would announce some 1st party games sales more often, to provide some good cheer to the brand, and objectively counteract this "Xbox has no games" thing so popular with youtube blowhards for last two years. Maybe they are afraid of looking bad next to higher PS4 numbers because PS4 has 2X the install base. Maybe they just dont care or think about it, I dunno.

I guess they (or the developer) have been announcing PUBG player count for what that's worth.

Seeing top of other european country Forza Horizon 3 had less legs than in UK. I think it is more 3.5 to 4 millions now... UK is by far the best Xbox country in Europe...

I am not a fan of Gran Turismo and I think Forza Horizon deserve more sales but Polyphony is lucky to launch the game on the most popular console in Europe...

I will only have two car game on PS4 Drive Club and On Rush... Fan of ex Evolution studios...

Last edited:
It looks like a mix of Motorstorm and burnout...

Day 1!

It's such a shame what happened with Evolution Studios. I don't know what things looked like behind the scenes, but I think Sony were stupid to let them go.

At worst, I would have thought the best thing to do would be to strip them of creative freedom for a game, and release another MotorStorm. Ideally one like Pacific Rift: colourful and 4 player! Would have been perfect for a 2019/2020 release.

Day 1!

It's such a shame what happened with Evolution Studios. I don't know what things looked like behind the scenes, but I think Sony were stupid to let them go.

At worst, I would have thought the best thing to do would be to strip them of creative freedom for a game, and release another MotorStorm. Ideally one like Pacific Rift: colourful and 4 player! Would have been perfect for a 2019/2020 release.

Sales where bad, so why throw more good money after bad. And I did like the Motorstorm games

Maybe it's about avoiding competing with themselves, which is a bigger loss than just an unprofitable game in isolation.

They seem to be doing fine with all the other studios, various genres, various styles, and there can never be too many story-driven games since they are 12h to 20h long (maybe more for open worlds). Competitive and sports games are dependent on the user base, so I suppose having more of them is detrimental to all of them as the user base splits.

Maybe it's about avoiding competing with themselves, which is a bigger loss than just an unprofitable game in isolation.

They seem to be doing fine with all the other studios, various genres, various styles, and there can never be too many story-driven games since they are 12h to 20h long (maybe more for open worlds). Competitive and sports games are dependent on the user base, so I suppose having more of them is detrimental to all of them as the user base splits.

I know vgcharts is dubious, but these where the first numbers I found.

https://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=motorstorm

Motorstorm : 3.87m
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift : 1.36m
MotorStorm: Apocalypse : 0.49m

The last one probably cost more to make than it ever recouped.

And then the new ip out of EVO, that got delayed for a year or something.

Driveclub : 2.36m

They where not games that sold well, nor were they niche titles worthy of keeping alive.

And I did like the games, hoping that OnRush hits it out of the park.
But most other people did not care much for Motorstorm, sadly.

It's worth noting that MotorStorm: Apocalypse did not have a normal launch. The game was suddenly delayed just before the release because of the devastating tsunami disaster in Japan.

Sony initially delayed it "indefinitely" because the game featured realistic portrayal of natural weather mass destruction. They stopped shipments and removed all marketing material. This effectively killed the game when it came out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impac...hquake_and_tsunami_on_the_video_game_industry

Last edited:
20% off PS store code once you complete a quest (watch a 30 second far cry 5 video).

https://live.playstation.com

Sign into your PSN, look for the quest on the right side, and click 'Claim Prize' after the video is done.

Code is good until the end of April so it can be used on God of War. You'll have to wait until release though because the code cannot be used on pre-orders.

It appears to be for North American accounts only.

Last edited:
Does that work on digital games or only physical?

I did it but did not see it was April. Nice, I have another that expires on March 30th from the other quest on The Show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back