Would PS3 have been better with a 2nd Cell instead of the RSX?

Buray might have died without the PS3. Bluray players were so expensive, if there wasn't a device like the ps3 pushing it, it would have been adopted much more slowly.

Plus, there was HDDVD, which was quite a lot cheaper, with an initially much larger movie library. So no PS3, no blu-ray today very likely.

Buray might have died without the PS3. Bluray players were so expensive, if there wasn't a device like the ps3 pushing it, it would have been adopted much more slowly.

Plus, there was HDDVD, which was quite a lot cheaper, with an initially much larger movie library. So no PS3, no blu-ray today very likely.

And that kids is the story of how Bluray was saved. However it doesn't detract from my point that bluray is what caused the ps3's troubles

BluRay neither saved the PS3 or was a strong advantage.

That would be like wanting credit for saving someone's life because you untied them from a railroad track right before they were to be hit by an oncoming train when you tied them to the track in the first place. Or wanting kudos because you allowed me to take you to the prom when you lied to my preferred potential date by telling her I had herpes. LOL

BluRay strongly contributed to PS3's high price at launch while inhibiting Sony's ability to recoup the cost of providing millions of PS3 to the market.

Without BluRay, the PS3 would have been cheaper to manufacture, came with a cheaper price tag and sold better among gamers. The guys that buy content that actually pays license fees to Sony.

Bluray wasn't expensive to produce throughout all of PS3's lifetime. It had struggles initially, but there were a lot more things wrong with PS3 early on than just a high pricetag.

Like an overabundance of USB ports and memory card slots on the original 60 and 20GB models. The Memory Stick Pro Duo HD Premium Last Temptation of Christ or w/e Sony called it was arguably the only real card slot it needed, and just because of the PSP. But IIRC, couldn't you just transfer files and store purchases through the USB cable? The Blu-Ray actually served a real purpose, and a used first production run 60GB was my first device capable of it. However, I didn't even have an HDTV, I used a PC monitor via HDMI --> DVI converter, so that was another early plus for the PS3 the 360 couldn't match. The VGA adapter for the 360 still had tale tell signs of signal banding.

That would be like wanting credit for saving someone's life because you untied them from a railroad track right before they were to be hit by an oncoming train when you tied them to the track in the first place. Or wanting kudos because you allowed me to take you to the prom when you lied to my preferred potential date by telling her I had herpes. LOL

BluRay strongly contributed to PS3's high price at launch while inhibiting Sony's ability to recoup the cost of providing millions of PS3 to the market.

Without BluRay, the PS3 would have been cheaper to manufacture, came with a cheaper price tag and sold better among gamers. The guys that buy content that actually pays license fees to Sony.
I remember a lot of people justifying their initial purchase of the PS3 on the fact that it had blu-ray and could play games, often inferior to their 360 counterparts. Having an all-in-one device is actually a good selling point for a console.

Slightly inferior games plus equal media capabilites = bad sales proposition.

Slightly inferior games plus superior media capabilites = good sales proposition.

I know tons of people that bought PS3 because of bluray.

People that build home cinemas in basement, watched lot of movies and similar groups bought ps3 for at least 2 years because it were best image quality with acceltable pricing.

Maybe not +100% sales, but still lot of people buying it just for movies.

I like to read gaming, tech and audio&video forums and I remember threads with hundreds of replies in many place about using ps3 as bluray player.

Ps2 had similar value as dvd player, I know lot of people including myself that used it as dvd player.

I would not underestimate its value, but without clear statistics it it hard to say if bluray helped sales for 50% or hurt the sales for 50% because high price.

I personally skipped ps3 because I just didnt have so much of money to spend.

Bluray wasn't expensive to produce throughout all of PS3's lifetime. It had struggles initially, but there were a lot more things wrong with PS3 early on than just a high pricetag.

No. But bluray saddle it with a high launch price and influenced it pricing well into the future.

The attachment rate was initially poor compared to the 360. As it fell in price and stand alone Bluray players became more reasonably priced, the attachment rate rose to more typical numbers. That's because it was being bought by more gamers.

Back