Dig gets realistic, I need a new HDD...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I want to grab either 2 1TB HDD or 1 2TB HDD, not sure what else except I'm looking for cheap as usual with quality and at least 7200rpm....

Are the hybrid drives worth it? I wouldn't mind spending the extra if they can live up to even half their claims, but I want this mainly just for mass storage so I can consolodate everything on all the odds & end HDDs I have in Bubbles and just use the SSD and the new one. (And mebbe a couple others if they're decent, not sure...)

Just curious since I haven't been keeping up with what I should be looking for and figured since everyone here is wonderful about educating me when I'm in this situation I figured I'd start a thread.

I can put off upgrading and go without gaming, but damn it if I lose my family pictures and such I will cry. Got 'em on other systems, but want to make sure my own copies are good and I'm pretty sure half my drives are failing.

I guess it just FEELS like the time to back them all up, and when that feeling hits like it does you either do it or regret it in a little while and with HDDs so bloody not-expensive I feel like I'd be an idiot not to.

Shit. Just checked, I got about 2.2TB of HDD space on Bubbles. Then again, I only have to back about 20% of that up...

What's the best deals around, suggestions please and thank you!

If it's for Mass storage why not go for one of those "baclup/Nas" 5400rpm drives all manufacturers seem to make?

For what it's worth; I got some WD red's in my NAS and they seem to be doing fine.

Really, I don't think you can buy anything really horrible from the big names these days. Sure some might be better, but it all seems to be single didget numbers last time I checked.

If it's just for storage all you need is to pickup a cheap external USB3 drive. If you want to run it internally, then shuck it from the enclosure and run it as SATA on the PC. There were deals on 4TB units for around $100 last week.

Though it seems like you have an option of internal drive for around $10 more, if you don't mind getting a WD and don't want to mess about with de-shucking. There's also some new spec change where some drives need a SATA pin taped up to enable it to work, some sort of idle or power-saving mode, where its used more on external drives, so might be a bit of work to get it working internally.

If it's just for backups why not just use a cloud solution like backblaze? It's very cheap and you know you're completely safe as it's offsite.

Good suggestions all. I don't want an external drive, don't like the interface speeds. Been meaning to look in to offsite backups, but this is just in case any/all my current HDD fail and gives me room to grow/re-arrange things. I HATE 5400rpm drives, just a thing with me.

Looking at this right now, a 3TB 7200rpm 64MB cache SATA 6.0Gb/s for $57.30us and it'll be here Tuesday. Doesn't seem that bad to me.

And then I noticed we had some bonus point cash available and it was only $19.09! After that the next thing I knew I'd bought it.... :oops:

A drive for backups and you go with some generic no-brand hard drive? Yes it's cheap, you get what you pay for. Just don't rely on it.

I don't want an external drive, don't like the interface speeds.
You have zero USB3 connectors on your PC? Even simple 5Gbit/s USB3 is plenty even for SSDs. I'd suggest investing in a USB3 PCIe adaptor card to remedy... :)

I HATE 5400rpm drives, just a thing with me.
Meh, for backup it doesn't matter. 5400 drives run quieter, cooler and spin up faster. But I know what it's like when you want something a certain way, I bought a crazy PC last year not because it was at all rational... :p So enjoy your new HDD.

Is it western digital? It resembles WD, but I see no manufacturer's logo so maybe it is some OEM model. Hopefully not with any corners cut; Backblaze reliability figures often don't favor WD... :p

You have zero USB3 connectors on your PC? Even simple 5Gbit/s USB3 is plenty even for SSDs. I'd suggest investing in a USB3 PCIe adaptor card to remedy... :)
Nope, not a single one on my mobo. Don't mind the no-name, I'll take a risk on it since I don't mean this is gonna be my safe storage box...I just think some of my HDD are gonna go so I'd rather get all the stuff I want off them and reformat/check them and eliminate a couple, but I still do multiple backups on a few different computers.

Gives me room to get organized, and I"ll be looking for external drives for my daughter's laptop soon enough. LOL

Good suggestions all. I don't want an external drive, don't like the interface speeds. Been meaning to look in to offsite backups, but this is just in case any/all my current HDD fail and gives me room to grow/re-arrange things. I HATE 5400rpm drives, just a thing with me.

Looking at this right now, a 3TB 7200rpm 64MB cache SATA 6.0Gb/s for $57.30us and it'll be here Tuesday. Doesn't seem that bad to me.
Lol, that's a different offer to the same kind of drive I recommended!

Well, going by this reviewer anyway.

4.0 out of 5 starsRefurbished HGST HUS724030ALE641
January 29, 2018
Verified Purchase
At this price, I expected it to be a refurbished drive, and it was. A quick check with smartctl and see that it's a HGST HUS724030ALE641. While all of the SMART data had been zeroed, it still reported a failure it had after 771 days of operation. I'm going to be running it through a few intensive tests before I toss it into production use on my home file server.

But the product description is different. So it might be a new, but inexpensive, drive and not a HGST one. That can be a problem with Amazon, sometimes the reviews are for different versions. I nearly bought a router until I read newer reviews that warned that the product was now Version 2, and Netgear had switched to cheaper processors.

Ugh, they're reselling HDDs that have been running - at minimum - for ~2 years? Who knows how much thrashing they've been put through in that time, especially when SMART data (which frequently lies anyway it seems) has been zeroed out?

It's literally buying the pig in the sack.

Ugh, they're reselling HDDs that have been running - at minimum - for ~2 years? Who knows how much thrashing they've been put through in that time, especially when SMART data (which frequently lies anyway it seems) has been zeroed out?

It's literally buying the pig in the sack.
Oh sure, NOW you tell me! :rolleyes:

I read the reviews, but decided to take the risk anyways since I'm so cheap and desperate when it comes to upgrading my rig alright? I'm gonna check out the drive when it comes and see what the what is, if it's used at all I'll return it. (After checking to see if anything interesting is/was on it....)

mm.... bacon.
Not getting the pop culture reference, sadly. Seems I'm too old or something... :p Google image search for your picture spits out best guess: "human"; I'm getting a Mass Effect vibe here tho, but still don't get the connection to bacon. :p

Btw the pig/sack thing is a swedish proverb which like many others doesn't really explain itself. It is basically an older version of Forrest Gump's "life is like a box of chocolates", IE, you could end up with basically anything. Ehum... End of "things you never asked to know" lesson... lol

Well I have the flu, so I gotta amuse myself somehow.

Not getting the pop culture reference, sadly. Seems I'm too old or something... :p Google image search for your picture spits out best guess: "human"; I'm getting a Mass Effect vibe here tho, but still don't get the connection to bacon. :p

Btw the pig/sack thing is a swedish proverb which like many others doesn't really explain itself. It is basically an older version of Forrest Gump's "life is like a box of chocolates", IE, you could end up with basically anything. Ehum... End of "things you never asked to know" lesson... lol

Well I have the flu, so I gotta amuse myself somehow.
qtw9q.jpg

Was just a random ME Andromeda screenshot I took. :p

Sorry for the derail (no I'm not).

Here, help me try and figure out what brand this white label HDD could possibly be!

https://i.imgur.com/g9F7ZkB.jpg

Looks like a wanderer-digital brand. ;)

Oh sure, NOW you tell me! :rolleyes:

I read the reviews, but decided to take the risk anyways since I'm so cheap and desperate when it comes to upgrading my rig alright? I'm gonna check out the drive when it comes and see what the what is, if it's used at all I'll return it. (After checking to see if anything interesting is/was on it....)

If you get the one I linked to it has "2.0 million hours MTBF specification". Newegg list those specs. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z4-001J-00224
I expect to grind away at mine less than a tenth as much as it had already been used. Storage is a lot different than being used as a constantly hammered server.
And given that a lot of new gear fails fairly early in its life, these used ones offer me a comparable degree of reliability, for my purposes anyway. The one I linked to has a one year warranty, and a few reviewers who did have to exercise that noted how easy it was to work with the seller. The seller can vary, but it's often goHardDrive, and sometimes you can choose them under the list of sellers.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aag/mai...7ME&isAmazonFulfilled=1&seller=A10GIQVUTYZMGS

5 out of 5 stars 99% positive over the past 12 months. (14,346 total ratings)

Add to cart from seller goHardDrive and price $57.99
[/URL]

Back