NPD January 2018

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
VentureBeat Breakdown: https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/21/...even-slays-beasts-like-call-of-duty-and-pubg/

“In dollar sales, the gap between the top-selling platform and the third best-selling was only three percent.” said Piscatella.

The Nintendo Switch sold the most systems, but Sony’s PlayStation 4 generated the most revenue. Microsoft’s Xbox One rounds out the top-three consoles for the month.

Software, Overall
  1. Monster Hunter: World
  2. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  3. Call of Duty: WWII
  4. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K18
  7. Super Mario Odyssey**
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  9. Mario Kart 8**
  10. Madden NFL 18
  11. Star Wars: Battlefront II*
  12. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
  13. UFC 3
  14. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  15. FIFA 18*
  16. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
  17. The Sims 4*
  18. Splatoon 2**
  19. Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT
  20. Need for Speed: Payback*
* No PC digital sales
** No digital sales

Surprised there's no NPD thread, and I don't feel like creating one.

So just wanted to comment on a few things that stood out.

Switch came in #1 for units sold, of course, but in terms of revenue there was only 3% difference between 1st and 3rd in terms of dollars spent with PS4 coming in first WRT dollars spent (higher ASP than Switch due to PS4-P). An interesting statistic. Also there was a spike in 3DS unit sales (highest since 2013) in Jan. for some reason.

The only single SKU titles that make the top 10 best sellers for the past 12 months are all Nintendo titles, and they have 3 of them in there. That's fairly amazing (especially when you consider no digital sales are included for the Nintendo titles) and showcases the draw of Nintendo game properties. No other company produces system sellers like Nintendo.

PUBG is still doing surprisingly well. It's actually ahead of COD on the XBO top 10 and only 1 spot behind COD on the all SKU chart. Microsoft did well to get that as an exclusive, even if it ends up only being timed. This makes me wonder if it's PUBG that is keeping the XBO so competitive with the PS4 right now? Also, the flood of Chinese hackers on PC might be driving a lot of PUBG players to move to XBO in order to get away from the rampant hacking and cheating on the PC right now. They're working on ping based matchmaking now in an attempt to prevent Chinese hackers and cheaters from affecting the game for US players.

No Minecraft in the top 20, I'm almost shocked. :D

Regards,
SB

A split on monster hunter would be interesting.

Keep on selling Origins. Great game. Shadow of Mordor disappeared fast.

Might give GTAV a shot if a X1X version comes out.

Switch came in #1 for units sold, of course, but in terms of revenue there was only 3% difference between 1st and 3rd in terms of dollars spent with PS4 coming in first WRT dollars spent (higher ASP than Switch due to PS4-P). An interesting statistic. Also there was a spike in 3DS unit sales (highest since 2013) in Jan. for some reason.

Is the amount of money comparison the hardware? It means Ps4 outsold xbox in amount of money in the US despite the lower price of ps4p, and the higher xb1x sales ratio against the normal sku. So ps4 outsold xb1 in units by a fair amount, in the US, and by extrapolation it puts the ps4/xbox worldwide figure above 2:1.

Getting through the 4 months launch honeymoon, we can say neither the xb1x nor BC managed to increase their market share. But it must have prevented a worse situation and they kept their existing user base happy.

Is the amount of money comparison the hardware? It means Ps4 outsold xbox in amount of money in the US despite the lower price of ps4p, and the higher xb1x sales ratio against the normal sku. .

You have to take into account the lower ASP of XB1S and higher ASP of PS4. From a pure number of unit sales, all the hardware was extremely close, according to an NPD analyst. Let me dig up that tweet... try to look at the entire Tweet thread (not sure what it will embed as):

I.. don't know what ASP means... :runaway:

But it makes sense that they would be close if xb1s still had sporadic sales while sony didn't have any in january.

I.. don't know what ASP means... :runaway:

But it makes sense that they would be close if xb1s still had sporadic sales while sony didn't have any in january.

Since I think someone covered what it is (Average Selling Price, Average Sales Price, or Average System Price) , here's what it isn't:

It's not the Cobra Assault System POD vehicle:
CobraASP.jpg

The Reset Era prediction contest results are out which allows us to narrow hardware a bit. Seems a month with a lot of error possible though https://www.resetera.com/posts/5021030/

I did some math. Pls remember those are just estimate.

NSW ~ somewhere between 255K and 285K
PS4 ~ 254K
XB1 ~ 235K

Until we get others news/leaks, i'll probably use ~270K for Switch.

At first glance unremarkable, but comments clued me in Xbox had a really good January relatively. Because all previous Xbox One January's had been really bad. Previous high Xbox One January was 158k January 17 (estimate).

I'd put it down to Xbox X because that's the narrative I like. But PUBG is also a possible reason touted on Era, or I suppose even a plethora of good X1S deals in January IIRC.

The Reset Era prediction contest results are out which allows us to narrow hardware a bit. Seems a month with a lot of error possible though https://www.resetera.com/posts/5021030/

At first glance unremarkable, but comments clued me in Xbox had a really good January relatively. Because all previous Xbox One January's had been really bad. Previous high Xbox One January was 158k January 17 (estimate).

I'd put it down to Xbox X because that's the narrative I like. But PUBG is also a possible reason touted on Era, or I suppose even a plethora of good X1S deals in January IIRC.
That + exceptionally 5 weeks instead of 4

Back