Ravenridge Excitement, what are you buying?

• Total voters
let me know how it goes , I haven't ordered the board or ram yet , will do so next week.

Not looking so good [emoji46]
d67c0bb32d15eb2f56753b4f498022a1.jpg

The cpu debut light is coming on, I’ll just have to pull apart my 1700x rig and update the darn bios, I’m literally to tired for this!

I got it working and installed my favorite benchmark to test memory scaling, seems to top out at 3200mhz.
So I’ve settled 3850 mhz cpu, 1500mhz gpu and 1600mhz ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glad you got it working. Did you have to put in the other ryzen or did it just work? I think I am going to send away for that kit tomorrow so I have it for when the board comes in. I really think amd should have had the new board chipset out for this launch

glad you got it working. Did you have to put in the other ryzen or did it just work? I think I am going to send away for that kit tomorrow so I have it for when the board comes in. I really think amd should have had the new board chipset out for this launch

It was such a process but I had to pull the 1700x out because the board was on an older bios.

I am glad you had one on hand and were able to fix it quickly. It sucks for people without them. AMD really should have come up with a better solution
I'm not sure what AMD could do about it, other than know what they needed to have in the BIOS when Ryzen was released, which was likely simply not possible.

Is up to motherboard makers to ensure their boards are compatible out of the box and advertise as such. If a consumer is going to gamble on what BIOS version is installed on a motherboard, then it's their responsibility to make sure they have a means of updating it.

Some boards have the ability to update the BIOS via USB without the need for POST and the UEFI, that would certainly help.

I am glad you had one on hand and were able to fix it quickly. It sucks for people without them. AMD really should have come up with a better solution

I’m surprised bios updates for rr were so late in the pipeline. They’ve had a year since ryzen to have mobo makers update their parts with rr support, especially before the big rr push last week. This is very disappointing, but it’s amd, it is to be expected. They can’t execute for shit.

Surely, in this day and age, when coming up with a new socket that they knew was going to endure a number of product cycles they could have come up with something which would allow some kind of POST for all future processors to allow BIOS updates to be loaded? This situation where you need another CPU to get the things working must be having a detrimental effect on sales and, AMD's reputation for people who aren't aware of the issue before they order parts.

I was hoping to build a 2400G system for my daughter to play Minecraft, etc. but as I don't have another Ryzen system and there don't appear to be any B350 boards with the POST-less BIOS updates, I'll have to wait or build something else.

So the case that I was going to use, the psu doesn’t work, I believe the format is stx. I really wanted to test it out so I went and bought an atx psu at bestbuy.

It’s a sad state of affairs, there are no computer parts stores in miami any more ever since compusa/tiger direct went out of business, bestbuy literally has 5 components on hand.

I was able to get it to boot and updated but the rr driver is the same as the mobile driver, 17.7. Not sure why AMD forked(for lack of a better term) rr drivers and are updating them separate from the standard Vega drivers. They work but not sure why they are launching a new product on stale drivers.

Back to the case, I’m looking to buy a cheap sff style case, with atx psu fittings, silver stone looks nice. I’ll update this post with my choice.

I decided on the case, I’m going with the silver stone ml03b, should arrive early next week, hopefully then I can finish this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case anybody need it, Amd is sending old AM4 processors provided you can´t flash your mobo

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

"Boot Kit Solution

AMD will provide affected and qualified users a boot kit to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard.

This solution is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for affected and qualified users of this specific boot up issue. This boot kit is free of charge.

To obtain the boot kit, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Go to the AMD online warranty claims page: https://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma
  2. Fill in your full contact and product details
  3. In the Problem Description field enter "Boot kit Required" (without quotes)

NOTE: The product must be a valid AMD processor with authentic OPN and serial number.

Once the claim is received and approved, confirmation details and boot kit instructions will be provided in a follow up email."

Back