AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

So, it's not recommended to put system cache on SSD? How much SSD lifespan is reduced and how much speed is lost then if cache is put on HDD?

So, it's not recommended to put system cache on SSD? How much SSD lifespan is reduced and how much speed is lost then if cache is put on HDD?

well you will certainly decrease your SSD life span. it all depends on how often the cache is used. The more ram you have the less often it should hit it. As with speed your not going to loose much speed if the cache is on the HDD. Going from system memory to SSD is already a huge decrease in performance , dropping from ssd to mechanical is a much smaller decrease when compareed

I wouldn't worry so much about SSD lifespans.

My Crucial SSDs (M4-CT512M4SSD2) that I use for staging/editing/rendering HD videos have been holding up perfectly since 2012 (62-76 hours a week), without any performance lost. And my Samsung EVO SSDs for storage/dumping/retrieving large video-projects have been holding up as well. Hell, I had mechanical enterprise hard-drives fail me within 2 years.

Some interesting info on SSDs lifespans at the link below.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2856052/grueling-endurance-test-blows-away-ssd-durability-fears.html
TR recently reported that after a year of testing the durability of six SSDs, four died after reaching between 728 terabytes and 1.2 petabytes of data writes, all of which is far beyond the specified life span for the drives.

Two other SSDs—a Samsung 840 Pro and a Kingston HyperX 3K—are still going after crossing the 2 petabyte data write benchmark. That's utterly insane.

To make that point, Tech Report’s Geoff Gasior says the SSD he’s running in his own desktop PC has logged less than two terabytes of data writes over two years or so. “At this rate, it’ll take me a thousand years to reach that total,” Gasior wrote, referring to one drive that lasted to the 1.2PB mark.

I wouldn't worry so much about SSD lifespans.

My Crucial SSDs (M4-CT512M4SSD2) that I use for staging/editing/rendering HD videos have been holding up perfectly since 2012 (62-76 hours a week), without any performance lost. And my Samsung EVO SSDs for storage/dumping/retrieving large video-projects have been holding up as well. Hell, I had mechanical enterprise hard-drives fail me within 2 years.

Some interesting info on SSDs lifespans at the link below.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2856052/grueling-endurance-test-blows-away-ssd-durability-fears.html
you are right about that , I mostly moved the windows cache to the mechanical to avoid any performance loss when things page out to the cache. However you do gain a lot more life out of the drive also. I had a 64 gig ssd (vertex ) die out due to the nand going bad. I would assume modern drives have more nand back up and longer endurance.

I have 8 SSDs and an NVMe SSD across various systems ranging from 8 years to 1 year old, none of them have experienced a single issue. Can't say that about any of my mechanical drives.

The only mechanicals I use now are NAS drives for my... NAS. I just don't see any reason to have them in any client PCs unless using them for local backup (lack of NAS) or scratch disk.

you are right about that , I mostly moved the windows cache to the mechanical to avoid any performance loss when things page out to the cache.

I highly doubt moving anything to a mechanical hard drive yields performance gains. "Caching" is the opposite of what you're doing

Maybe just in case of a not-so-good ssd which would have no space remaining

I highly doubt moving anything to a mechanical hard drive yields performance gains. "Caching" is the opposite of what you're doing

Maybe just in case of a not-so-good ssd which would have no space remaining
I've had games with performance issues if the page file is on the same drive as the game . By moving it to the mechanical the hitching would go away.

I've had games with performance issues if the page file is on the same drive as the game . By moving it to the mechanical the hitching would go away.

Eastman, what type (i.e., sata, pci-e, usb, etc...), brand and model SSD are you using? You shouldn't be receiving hitching (which sounds like texture streaming is causing some type of fps penalty) from having page file enabled on you're gaming drive. The only time you'll receive something like that, is that page file is fighting for resources (i.e., lack of space on SSD), or you have lot's of applications running in the background, requiring virtual memory.

Plus, if you have a decent amount of system ram (16GB or greater), virtual memory shouldn't be an issue (unless you have some legacy applications coded / requiring page file space). Personally, I have it disabled between my machines, or set to something ridiculously low (16MB), making sure that Windows OS, it's applications and games, are getting the most out of the system memory.

Eastman, what type (i.e., sata, pci-e, usb, etc...), brand and model SSD are you using? You shouldn't be receiving hitching (which sounds like texture streaming is causing some type of fps penalty) from having page file enabled on you're gaming drive. The only time you'll receive something like that, is that page file is fighting for resources (i.e., lack of space on SSD), or you have lot's of applications running in the background, requiring virtual memory.

Plus, if you have a decent amount of system ram (16GB or greater), virtual memory shouldn't be an issue (unless you have some legacy applications coded / requiring page file space). Personally, I have it disabled between my machines, or set to something ridiculously low (16MB), making sure that Windows OS, it's applications and games, are getting the most out of the system memory.

Mx 300 by crucial with sata 3.0 . At the time I had 12 gigs of ram .

Mx 300 by crucial with sata 3.0 . At the time I had 12 gigs of ram .

Those drives are fine. If you have more system memory beyond the 12GB stated, and a GPU with a decent amount of VRAM, then your virtual memory requirements should be lowered or disabled.

OK thanks, yeah have been seeing April doing the reading I guess I should have done before posting that...
Was kinda hoping to see some clock/performance improvement details by now.
At least there is confirmation of being in production :D
If I recall there was talk of ~200Mhz improvement back when first announced.

Edit: oh, updated EPYC & Threadripper with the new chips in it 2H18

Edit2: a slide
AMD-Ryzen-2000-Series_2-1480x817.png

Edit3: was just thinking, I've long lusted after an APU that would be something like a Zeppelin die linked to a big monolithic GPU but just occured to me looking at Raven Ridge die & thinking of the Threadripper socket, would an APU using Raven Ridge dies in the Threadripper socket make sense/provide decent GPU performance? It'd be 16 cores, 32 threads CPU, 2816 SPs (which I guess is where it falls over, thats only a bit more than an RX480...)

Edit4: Bunch of very interesting slides about Zeppelin die design here https://wccftech.com/amd-zeppelin-soc-isscc-detailed-7nm-epyc-64-cores-rumor/
full slide deck is near the bottom if you want to avoid the semi-random rest of article

Last edited:
Back