Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Down to $200:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/02/15/new-playstation-vr-deals-available-starting-february-18/

rthcWrL.jpg

Let's see if this "limited time" is a one-off thing or they'll just silently keep this price as it is.

Any takers on this being a move to clean the channel before announcing an even newer PS-VR headset?

Down to $200:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/02/15/new-playstation-vr-deals-available-starting-february-18/

rthcWrL.jpg

Let's see if this "limited time" is a one-off thing or they'll just silently keep this price as it is.

It would be awesome if they kept the price. Would do wonders for sales. The PS4 reddit section is on fire with people interested on it at this price point (700+ answers on the topic) and the PSVR on is trending with people viewing it. However, I'm not too sure Sony could keep with the demand.

They launched a revised PSVR only 3 months ago with built in earphones and HDR pass through so I doubt it...

I completely doubt it too, but what's with the 33% drop in MSRP? Why are they pushing for it now? Maybe I'm missing an event or something, but this massive price drop (even if only temporary) doesn't seem to align to any events or conferences.

It's almost enough to get me to pick one up for my 4Pro, and I'm not a VR advocate in it's current form.

I completely doubt it too, but what's with the 33% drop in MSRP? Why are they pushing for it now? Maybe I'm missing an event or something, but this massive price drop (even if only temporary) doesn't seem to align to any events or conferences.

It's almost enough to get me to pick one up for my 4Pro, and I'm not a VR advocate in it's current form.

Maybe because February is a particularly strong month in game releases for PSVR? Sprint Vector, Knockout League, Apex Construct, Moss.. There is a lot of hype surrounding at least three of those games and they are dropping the price to increase the effect and make people who are on the fence buy it?

They need to do something to drum up interest in PSVR. BF/CM showed that with deals they could revitalize sales of the headset short term, but at it's normal MSRP, not many people were interested.

I'll be interested to see what kind of effect this has on sales of the headset both during and after the sale. My prediction is that it might allow the headset to chart again short term, but if the price doesn't drop permanently than it'll just be another short term bump.

One very important thing to keep in mind is that Sony's fiscal year ends on Mar. 31. So, this could also just be an attempt to get sales figures up for FY ending 2018's financial report when presenting it to investors. It'll make it look better if they were able to hit their sales targets (conservative as they are for PSVR), which I'm guessing they are likely to miss if they don't put the headset on sale.

If they don't get sales up, it could start rumblings among investors questioning whether Sony should continue to invest in VR. Although I'm not sure how much of a factor this is considering that PSVR is doing relatively well in Japan.

Regards,
SB

Truth be told, if there's a PS5 coming up in late 2019, they'll definitely launch a new PSVR 2 with higher resolution, etc.
That means they don't have a lot of time left to sell the PSVR 1.

Plus, there might be no reason not to sell it at this price point. The headset isn't actually state of the art right now. The Windows Mixed Reality headsets are offering significantly better hardware at $300.

Truth be told, if there's a PS5 coming up in late 2019, they'll definitely launch a new PSVR 2 with higher resolution, etc.
That means they don't have a lot of time left to sell the PSVR 1.

Plus, there might be no reason not to sell it at this price point. The headset isn't actually state of the art right now. The Windows Mixed Reality headsets are offering significantly better hardware at $300.

Yeah at 300 and at much smaller production scale than psvr.

PSVR at launch also already sold at profit. So even with the new lower price, they probably still made tidy profit off it

Back