Movie Reviews 2.0

Bright was very very silly, but not as bad as some people were saying. Then again I didn’t find Suicide Squad as bad as reported, so maybe it’s me.

I sort of half-watched Bright the other night because I quickly lost interest in it. I spent more time looking at stuff on my laptop than the TV screen.

A sub-par rip off of the Shadowrun 'universe', from what I could tell. Not good in any manner that I noticed, though I think it's a pity Netflix haven't attempted a Shadowrun-style TV serial which I think could work.

Interesting to see the trailer for Altered Carbon, the upcoming Netflix SF series. Some years now since I read the Takeshi Kovacs books by Richard Morgan but, as The Expanse series follows those books pretty closely, I'd imagine Altered Carbon will do the same. Get ready for some incredibly violent, nihilistic SF fare!

Is this part of some new internet trend which I don't understand, perhaps to slag off Disney; alternative-spelling the main characters' names - Po...? Fin?!

What! :LOL:

No worse than the trend of writing "would of" instead of the correct "would have". :mad:

Thor was a bit too much slap-stick, "carry-on up the norse god" for me in places.
"We need to travel thru the devils Anus"....?...really ?

Thor is also far too often and far too long portrayed as weak and infectual against foes that he should brush aside.

Yes I enjoyed it like I enjoy any decent comedy, but when the film started, I wasn't expecting my overall thoughts of the film to amount to "that made me laugh". I guess I felt a bit cheated in terms of my reasonable expectations of a Marvel hero movie.

It certainly doesn't add anything to the canon, or the "big picture" marvel story, and perhaps it wasn't meant too.

I'm not entirely sure why Dr Strange makes a brief cameo, didn't add anything for me.

Last edited:
Yes I enjoyed it like I enjoy any decent comedy, but when the film started, I wasn't expecting my overall thoughts of the film to amount to "that made me laugh".

No? That is the number one reason why most of my friends like Marvel movies, they have good time laughing. As for me, I'm not a big fan precisely because of that. It's normally the kind of humor that is done purely for laughs and does not add anything to story/character development (Guardians of the Galaxy being the outlier here given how much of the comedy is essentially for some of the character development).

No? That is the number one reason why most of my friends like Marvel movies, they have good time laughing. As for me, I'm not a big fan precisely because of that. It's normally the kind of humor that is done purely for laughs and does not add anything to story/character development (Guardians of the Galaxy being the outlier here given how much of the comedy is essentially for some of the character development).

Well, although Civil war, for example, had it's funny moments, It's underlying story and it's major scenes were far from light hearted. Spidy and ant-man were the main comic relief, but I'd say there is night and day between CW and Thor Ragnarok in terms of the level and persistence of comedy.

There is an amazing contrast in the darkness between the dialogue and fight with Iron Man and Capt America in CW, and the colleseum scene in Thor.

Well, although Civil war, for example, had it's funny moments, It's underlying story and it's major scenes were far from light hearted. Spidy and ant-man were the main comic relief, but I'd say there is night and day between CW and Thor Ragnarok in terms of the level and persistence of comedy.

There is an amazing contrast in the darkness between the dialogue and fight with Iron Man and Capt America in CW, and the colleseum scene in Thor.

Yes, and funnily enough Civil War did not fulfill the expectations haha! My friends left the cinema saying it was meh :LOL:

Do you know if the upcoming Tomb Raider movie will be based in both the first and the second installments of the reboot series, or just the first one?

Care to share some spoiler-free thoughts on the movie?

I enjoyed it. quite different from the other Marvel movies so far. pretty good action and audiovisual experience. Somewhat surreal to have an African tribal environment mixed with super high tech. The plot/story itself wasn't really anything special imo, but alright for this type of movie. A more serious tone in this one, which I welcome after so many humour filled superhero movies. This has some of that too, but it's more constrained. Solid, but not quite a classic imo.

I give it 3.75/5

The nazis would had found the ark without Indy, opened it and died :) :LOL:
It's a clever interpretation of the movie, but if you actually watch it, you realize the Nazis find Marion - and thus, the medallion which reveals the location of the Ark - by following Indy to her. ...Although I suppose one could assume sooner or later they'd find the Ark anyway simply by excavating the entire region around their digsite. Unless if that would take too long and the war would interfere with their archaeological expedition. :p

There was never a world-ending threat related to opening the arc.
Au contraire, the implication as described by Denholm whatsisface's character in the movie is very much that the Nazis would become unstoppable (and thus end the world as we know it.)

Maybe we need a separate Star Wars thread, this one has been taken over by Star Wars talk, and all other posts are overshadowed by the discussion.

Anyway, I saw Black Panther. Very impressed. Out of all the characters, BP himself was probably the lamest, but then again there were some incredible personalities in that movie. Whether it's an amazing movie or not, the cultural significance and the financial success ($200m opening maybe?) will propel this film to the top of many records. And I'm ecstatic about it.

Only read good things about this movie so far. Not that I've been actively looking, because I don't want to risk getting spoiled. :p But, I still see the general hubbub on the webs, and it's all been positive, or as in your case, ecstatic.

Well, ok, some people were upset over it.

But I'm ignoring such wankers.

Back