Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's TCL. The P series 55". There are two variants, one exclusive to Amazon (55P607) and the other exclusive to Best Buy (55P605). The Amazon model has a better remote. Other than that they are identical.

Yeah, I searched them out and holy hell is that a great deal. I can’t imagine buying a different TV.

What is the downside of this model? Granted knowing these features are available there’s almost no chance I’d buy a different one but I’m just curious about the available technologies.

Yeah, I searched them out and holy hell is that a great deal. I can’t imagine buying a different TV.

What is the downside of this model? Granted knowing these features are available there’s almost no chance I’d buy a different one but I’m just curious about the available technologies.

The downside is that they don't make them larger than 55.

QA is a little suspect. Some sets (like mine) exhibit some backlight bleed where a totally black screen can end up showing some artifacts. Peak brightness isn't that bright, so highlights don't pop as much as they do on brighter sets. That's pretty much it. It's OK at HDR, with a nice wide color gamut and phenomenal at SDR. And the Roku SmartTV features are superior.

theyre supposedly making more sizes for the updated 2018 model, and increasing the amount of dimming zones to 128 iirc. i would like something around ~40" myself, lets hope.

theyre supposedly making more sizes for the updated 2018 model, and increasing the amount of dimming zones to 128 iirc. i would like something around ~40" myself, lets hope.

Good luck with that. >65" is actually the fastest growing market now. And most of the big players limit their most advanced tech to their 55" and above sets. Big screens are all the rage now so most manufacturers are treating anything south of 55" like step children.

Hard to convince people to spend a premium on a good performing 40" set when there are $500 55-65" displays sitting right next to it. So literally almost every manufacturers has stopped trying. They rather sell old cheap tech at bargain bin prices.

Maybe someone will step up and realize not everyone has a need for a behemoth of a TV.

Good luck with that. >65" is actually the fastest growing market now. And most of the big players limit their most advanced tech to their 55" and above sets. Big screens are all the rage now so most manufacturers are treating anything south of 55" like step children.

Hard to convince people to spend a premium on a good performing 40" set when there are $500 55-65" displays sitting right next to it. So literally almost every manufacturers has stopped trying. They rather sell old cheap tech at bargain bin prices.

Maybe someone will step up and realize not everyone has a need for a behemoth of a TV.

I'll be looking for 55 inch in the next few months, but no way I'm sacrificing image quality for that. Getting mentally ready to spend a small fortune... A friend of mine went on cheap on an Hi-Sense one he got for £650 and it shows. Apart from looking sharper because of 4K resolution, the color quality is well under my 42 inch Sony Bravia. Software is also garbage and slow. Miracast simply does not work with any device we tried.

Last edited:
I'll be looking for 55 inch in the next few months, but no way I'm sacrificing image quality for that. Getting mentally ready to spend a small fortune... A friend of mine went on cheap on an Hi-Sense one he got for £650 and it shows. Apart from looking sharper because of 4K resolution, the color quality is well under my 42 inch Sony Bravia. Software is also garbage and slow. Miracast simply does not work with any device we tried.

There are enough resources out there that if you do enough research you can find the price/performance standouts pretty easily.

There are enough resources out there that if you do enough research you can find the price/performance standouts pretty easily.

Yup, that is what I did with my current Sony and been happy for 3 years with it. Just getting a larger one because I'm moving to a bigger house and will have my own man cave :D

... Getting mentally ready to spend a small fortune...

are you looking for something that will last more years or do you upgrading more often? ... because right now, no announced TV set have HDMI 2.1 and if you want something more futureproof with variable refresh rate and 120 Hz there is no other option than wait.

are you looking for something that will last more years or do you upgrading more often? ... because right now, no announced TV set have HDMI 2.1 and if you want something more futureproof with variable refresh rate and 120 Hz there is no other option than wait.

Well, ideally it would be to last but I'm not sure if I want to wait one year or more. I guess it's unlikely we will have TVs with HDMI 2.1 by summer time?

I must say, I went from 50" to 65" and at the time even I was a bit scared that it would be too big. My partner thought I was crazy. But. Once you go bigger you never go back. Those extra 15" really hit the spot.

(Have fun with that)
Yeah my friend mentions he wished he went with the 65" instead of the 55" they purchased to replace their older 40" (or similar size) as it is a much more noticable step.
He feels the 55" from a perception perspective does not feel that much larger unlike when viewing the 65" models, really regrets his purchase now.
Has made me rethink my own purchase going forward.

Well, ideally it would be to last but I'm not sure if I want to wait one year or more. I guess it's unlikely we will have TVs with HDMI 2.1 by summer time?

No the spec is finalised but the complaisance tests to actually certify against are not as far as I know, also not enough time as this year's sets will have mostly been finalised.

Some sub features will be present as not everything needs all the new bandwidth but full hdmi 2.1 will not be this year.

You will see more of the spec features potentially supported via streaming but not connected devices.

Compliance tests are being rolled out in a piece meal fashion which spans Q1 to Q3 2018.

Unless hdmi 2.1 chips get certified quickly and some manufacturer quickly turns around a set for a holiday launch, we won't see 2.1 until 2019.

Unless you are London Boy or among his ilk, 2020 might be the more ideal time to get a hdmi 2.1 set as discounts will be plentiful on 2019 high end models and hdmi 2.1 will probably be more ubiquitous amongst cheaper sets.

Honestly I am feeling like I might as well wait until next gen shows up to pick up a 2.1 TV. What's the point of rushing out to buy one now? You need an X (which I have) and heavy support from devs (which has yet to be seen). 2.1 will either need some level of penetration to create enough noise from gamers to influence devs or MS to effectively push devs to offer support. In the near future VRR will be limited to the X userbase who own a 2.1 TV which will be rather small from the outset. Outside of first party titles, I doubt most devs will be all that motivated to support it especially in 2019.

Instead of rushing out to buy a 2.1 TV in 2019 and paying a premium for it. It might be more advantageous to wait for somewhat wide hardware and software support and better TV deals.

The last thing I want to experience is to run out and buy a 2019 2.1 set only to have wait for software support to show up. And then when support does show up, the TV I bought is available at half the MRSP I paid for it.

Last edited:
So you think the sets that will be upgradable to HDMI 2.1 will only be the premium sets? I think more of the sets will be upgradable, perhaps middle of the pack to the premiums. I'm basing this off of how many of the TVs and AVRs were already labeled as upgradable to DolbyVision.

Yeah my friend mentions he wished he went with the 65" instead of the 55" they purchased to replace their older 40" (or similar size) as it is a much more noticable step.
He feels the 55" from a perception perspective does not feel that much larger unlike when viewing the 65" models, really regrets his purchase now.
Has made me rethink my own purchase going forward.

Tell him it might be too late now. LOL.

Moving up gradually from 40" to 49" to 60" was not as noticeable as moving down from 60" to 50" when my 60 went down.

I missed that missing display real estate more than I thought I would. Going 65" was strongly influenced by that experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back