An Nvidia console seems a no brainer to me. Who else could Console?

Not too interested in an Nvidia console but they should really look at updating the Shield TV to support Dolby Vision and whatever other new video and HDR formats have come since they put out the Shield TV.

Original Xbox also had one key thing that nobody had. Xbox Live: Online community, gamertags/pics, voice chat, multiplayer, leaderboards, gamerscore, achievements. This was a brand new world for console gamers. In comparison, PS2 had an online accessory that was sold separately, but only a few MMO games used it.

I remember how heavily online focused games such as Halo and DOA Ultimate felt completely different than existing PS2 console games. Tekken required you to have friends visit your house, while you could play DOA Ultimate online against top tier players at any time of day.

Gamerscore and achievements came later with the X360. The first Halo didn't have Xbox Live support. You had to wait Halo 2 for that or play with a system link internet hack that worked pretty good, but didn't have any of the Live features.

Xbox Live released earlier in some countries than others. Sweden got it quite a bit before than us Finns, almost a year if I remember correctly. I bought it from Sweden, it worked, but you were stuck with its language setting for a looong time, way past the original Xbox.

Hum I can't see that happen unless Nvidia face a shrinking of its revenues and profits. Now seeing nowadays tech and the software "plateau" I'm longing for a handheld.
I wish somebody (cheap) HP/lenovo/Dell push out a windows gaming tablet

Last edited:
Sure, the packets are basically still the same, but how those packets are routed as well as packet coherency changed.

Regards,
SB

MS got a lot of pull, but I this sounds so very unlikely.
So I will go on my merry way and not belive it ;) I would belive some proposed changes to NAT or if they where they main people pushing UPNP way back when, but forwarding of packets in general and changing hardware is a bridge to far. :)

But if you should stumble upon the original article again, I would love to read it.

With both shield gaming attempts they were unable to convince any 3rd parties to seriously invest in ports for the system. So, they ended up having port a few games themselves. Only thing is, since NV weren't interested in investing a LOT of money, they only ported a few older titles. Again, just proof of concept.

Yeah but The Shield 2017 uses a Tegra X1. Not powerful enough for easy current gen ports. Big difference.

Actually as I thought on this thread I realized a big secondary idea formed for me here is iterative consoles have IMO made the barriers to entry much lower to the console business. Third parties already have to port to a variety of X86 console platforms and likely low level optimizations are a thing of the past. Now you just put out the game and port it to many comparable hardware, almost a microcosm of PC games.

If you're of the opinion any console entrant must have expensive exclusives you might disagree. I dont really think so...it could make up for lacking those things in other innovation ways. This box doesn't have exclusives, but it has a really nice Elite style controller standard, or it has a really fast CPU relative to the other consoles, or it has...insert innovative OS feature you always wanted here.

Will this come to fruition? I guess not. But Nvidia should try it...or AMD but they really maybe cant since they want to sell tech to all the current platforms. Or maybe they could anyway since those platforms dont have a lot of other options anyway...

The biggest detractor is I have no idea how much loss leading is going on with PS4/Xbox hardware, at any point in it's life cycle. If it's difficult for Nvidia to get something competitively power/priced out, that would be a hard barrier.

Gamerscore and achievements came later with the X360. The first Halo didn't have Xbox Live support. You had to wait Halo 2 for that or play with a system link internet hack that worked pretty good, but didn't have any of the Live features.

Xbox Live released earlier in some countries than others. Sweden got it quite a bit before than us Finns, almost a year if I remember correctly. I bought it from Sweden, it worked, but you were stuck with its language setting for a looong time, way past the original Xbox.
Oh yeah. Now I remember. DOA3 was on the original Xbox (not DOA2 Ultimate), and it didn't have online multiplayer. Same for Halo 1. But the original Xbox wasn't that popular to begin with. Xbox 360 was the one that outsold Sony devices and made Microsoft a big player in console gaming. X360 introduced lots of new features to the existing Xbox Live (most of my list above). PS3 arrived a year later, but at the beginning PSN was way inferior to XBox Live. Sony improved PSN to catch up. This is actually when Nintendo failed. They didn't value online games and online stores as much as Microsoft and Sony. Wii's motion controls got popular with casual audience and that hide the fact that Nintendo actually dropped way behind Microsoft and Sony regarding to hardcore players, who now started to prefer online competitive games. WiiU didn't have enough brand new hyped innovations to hide this fact, and it flopped. Microsoft later tried to mimic Wii success with Kinect, but that failed too. Consoles are mostly for hardcore players nowadays. Most of the casual players use their phones and tablets nowadays to play games.

It would be really hard for a new company to get into the console business today. A console centered solely around VR could be an option. But PC headsets are selling currently for 900€+, and at minimum you need hardware that is able to run dual viewport at vsync locked 60 fps (120 hz timewarp). And you would need lots of good exclusives, because porting traditional AAA bestsellers to VR isn't going to result in good experience. Nvidia would certainly have the hardware expertise to pull this off, but it wouldn't be a cheap project, and the consumer product would be expensive. But the biggest issue would be the exclusive VR games. I don't think any manufacturer could solve this issue in the near future.

Nvidia Steam console could be doable. But most existing Steam games require x86 processors, and Nvidia only has ARM license. And if they don't own the store -> they don't get big chunk of software sales -> they can't sell the hardware for zero profit -> hardware price is not competitive with Sony and Microsoft consoles. But they already have a very profitable PC GPU business. Huge profit margins. People are buying GPUs that cost 2x console price at 2x the pace of console generations. Do they need to enter the console market?

Xbox managed to sell well enough - comparable to Nintendo's console from a new player. Perhaps being home focussed and marketed heavily helped? So I can see a Chinese console doing similar, selling 30+ million in the home country before getting a bigger foothold elsewhere. The largest software publishers in the world are Chinese. A collaboration between nVidia and Tencent, say, could work.

Xbox managed to sell well enough - comparable to Nintendo's console from a new player. Perhaps being home focussed and marketed heavily helped? So I can see a Chinese console doing similar, selling 30+ million in the home country before getting a bigger foothold elsewhere. The largest software publishers in the world are Chinese. A collaboration between nVidia and Tencent, say, could work.

I could see something like that working in China if the base console was cheap enough and if it focused almost entirely on F2P, Freemium (kinda like PUBG cheap with long term gameplay), or MMO type games instead of traditional expensive (for the market) console games.

For example, create a sub 200 USD console that can play League of Legends and DOTA 2 and it might actually do somewhat decently over there. Too much more than that and you'll start to compete with used PC hardware and PC bangs.

Regards,
SB

I sold off my Shield K1 tablet and the gamepad recently. I played quite a few games on the TV with that thing, just out of curiosity over the past couple of years. The gamepad mapper was pretty good but it wasn't perfect. Some games have touch behavior that doesn't map well to a stick.

I don't think Android is going to go anywhere interesting. It's mostly about phone games and people expect everything to be $5 or less. NV put effort in but it hardly had any effect.

Not sure what to expect with GeForce Now. I tried OnLive years ago and it was ok. Played FEAR 2 on my EeePC. But that company folded quickly. I think more people have faster internet access today though.

Last edited:
Not sure what to expect with GeForce Now. I tried OnLive years ago and it was ok. Played FEAR 2 on my EeePC. But that company folded quickly. I think more people have faster internet access today though.
Geforce Now seems promising. Most people own lightweight laptops nowadays (Macbooks, Ultrabooks, etc). Only hardcore gamers buy desktops anymore. Geforce Now would allow AAA gaming for much wider range of people. But it can't be the only way, since it only works well near big cities. Need fast broadband + low latency to servers. But a significant number of people live near big cities, so the market is definitely there. Not something that Sony and Microsoft would do to replace their Xbox and Playstation brands, but definitely something that Nvidia could do with Geforce GRID.

Geforce Now seems promising. Most people own lightweight laptops nowadays (Macbooks, Ultrabooks, etc). Only hardcore gamers buy desktops anymore. Geforce Now would allow AAA gaming for much wider range of people. But it can't be the only way, since it only works well near big cities. Need fast broadband + low latency to servers. But a significant number of people live near big cities, so the market is definitely there. Not something that Sony and Microsoft would do to replace their Xbox and Playstation brands, but definitely something that Nvidia could do with Geforce GRID.

I really like TB3 external graphics card docks for this. Waiting for laptops with the capability to come down in price either by the feature being added to lower models or the models with the capability going on sale.

AMD and the Smach team just stated that Smach-Z will have the newly-announced Ryzen V1605V (Ryzen 5 2500U equivalent) with 2400MT/s DDR4.

https://liliputing.com/2018/02/smac...ature-amd-ryzen-embedded-v1000-processor.html

UOUOKoo.jpg

Wooohoooo!

Maybe we should make a Smach-Z thread.

They're supposedly going to show the final console at Embedded World 2018, which is one week from now.

Back