Linux is a pile of shit

Also, if you are having problems with the raw iptables interfaces, maybe you should try firewalld? That is supposed to be more newbie friendly.

Also, iptables is a service and not part of Linux.

I'm not having troubles with the interface, I'm used to configuring firewalls through a cli.

The problem is Linux is ass backwards meaning what works on ever other device in the world doesn't work on linux.

Eventually I figured out the problem was the DNS resolver (which by the way isn't exactly easy to disable either). In all it's logic linux (Ubuntu) decides it's resolver takes priority over whatever dns you set on your nic. As that process doesn't run under your own user account it caused problems.

I'm not having troubles with the interface, I'm used to configuring firewalls through a cli.

The problem is Linux is ass backwards meaning what works on ever other device in the world doesn't work on linux.

Every "other device in the world" you have used to probably runs Linux, so I do not understand what you are mad about. Maybe you should learn the difference between Linux and Ubuntu, that would probably be a good start.

Last edited:
You're running iptables under your user account? What?

What what? I'm not saying anything like that.

iptables allows the accept/drop packets based on the users that generates them (because there is no real application firewall). So I only allowed the user account that my software runs under access to the internet. However the problem was that by default linux/ubuntu ignores your dns settings and instead uses its internal resolver (very logical...). The resolver obviously isn't running under the same user (probably root or some system user or whatever) as my software thus dns traffic got blocked until I disabled the resolver.

You get what you pay for. I often feel some open source projects are purposefully obtuse to enable "them" selling consultance or create job security through obscurity and bad documentation. Some communities are just arrogant and to be part of them you get tortured before you are accepted. And then there is all the forking and wars between frameworks(systemd anyone?) which is not really linux but they might run on top of linux.

Linux really isn't anything but kernel. Rest is various open/closed source projects that are combined into a distribution.

"Linux is obtuse by design to filter out the unworthy."

- Linus Torvalds

may or may not be actual quote

Why?
Couldn't they have installed *BSD instead of Linux if they really wanted?
And what's the point or utility of a hack like that?
Linux may be a good OS for exploratory stuff, but the availability of Photoshop/AutoCAD/Office/etc on Linux would be much more awesome for much more people than yet another Linux gadget hack.

Why?
Linux may be a good OS for exploratory stuff, but the availability of Photoshop/AutoCAD/Office/etc on Linux would be much more awesome for much more people than yet another Linux gadget hack.

Of course it's possible to run Office in wine or crossover and there are numerous CAD packages for linux that are arguably as competent as their mainstream OS counterparts. Still, corporations tend to say they want to standardize on standard packages so if you're not running Photoshop or SolidWorks it's bad even if you still crank out good or better product. I actually went Linux only for a couple years with success. Ultimately I had to have a VM running XPP for some company software and I eventually reverted back to win/macos machines for my main efforts. Of course now I have to have a linux VM...

Why?

They probably could not install any BSD because no BSD support the Tegra chip in the Switch. I personally do not care for any of the programs you mentioned, but I would be interested in running emulators on a Switch for which Linux is the only realistic OS kernel.

Where do you get free support for other OS?
Linux has no support for the most part. If a new version comes out and something is broken you must deal with it yourself. However if you are a Windows or MacOS user, if something is broken because of an update and you need that for your business or whatever they MUST give you technical support, which they do, and solve the issue.

Where do you get free support for other OS? And where are MS guarantees that something that is working now will work on Windows in 10 years?
They do for sure. One of the reasons why Windows is like it is today is that they is that they support old buggy applications and exoteric procedures they used, just because of compatibility.

A very interesting discussion on what are the good and not so good things of Windows, and other OSes like Linux.

https://www.quora.com/Microsoft-has...d-Why-is-Microsoft-Windows-designed-so-poorly

Just a tidbit, but there are many others as interesting as this one, if not more!

"Windows has a legacy going back to late 1985. Microsoft has historically expended Herculean efforts to make sure old software continues to run on newer versions of Windows. Today, 32-bit versions of Windows can still run much Windows 3.1 software from the late ’80s and early ‘90s, and even some DOS software. (In 64-bit versions of Windows, which are what most people use today, compatibility goes back only to 32-bit apps, but you can still install 32-bit Windows in a virtual machine on a 64-bit host, and run the old apps in that.)

It is interesting and instructional to read Raymond Chen’s blog, The Old New Thing. Chen was an engineer on Windows 95, and many of his blog entries describe the lengths they went to in order to make sure older apps worked on that OS. To the extent of actually recognizing specific applications that used APIs in particular wrong ways, and creating special modes that certain Windows APIs used when running those applications. In particular, old programs tended to be rather cavalier in how they used memory (for example, using it after releasing it). This is a bug in those programs that went unnoticed because of how memory allocation used to work, but Microsoft added code to Windows to support these buggy applications.

As a result of this effort, Windows has a great deal of code in it to support old applications. And because they still work, some apps still use those APIs in the wrong ways. So Microsoft can never remove that behavior without breaking apps. Maintaining that code is a significant engineering effort."

Linux has no support for the most part. If a new version comes out and something is broken you must deal with it yourself. However if you are a Windows or MacOS user, if something is broken because of an update and you need that for your business or whatever they MUST give you technical support, which they do, and solve the issue.

I couldn't use my printer that worked on Win XP on Win 7. How can I contact MS so they can fix that for me?

I couldn't use my printer that worked on Win XP on Win 7. How can I contact MS so they can fix that for me?
I tell you that if you had a company and a program for your company which is essential in your company's activities stops working, you can contact support if something is broken from a OS update. And they are going to fix it for sure, because you as a registered user have paid for the OS.

They can't. It's up to the printer manufacturer to provide a compatible driver.
Maybe there is some fix. I was discussing this yesterday with a mate and he told me that I was wrong and that he knew at least a game that didn't work on Windows 10 and there was no fix. I found a fix in less than 5 minutes.

https://classicgamefixes.wixsite.com/home/motocross-madness-2

Are you telling me that Cyan does not write 100 % correct things? I am shocked!
:(:cry:

I tell you that if you had a company and a program for your company which is essential in your company's activities stops working, you can contact support if something is broken from a OS update. And they are going to fix it for sure, because you as a registered user have paid for the OS.

MS will not fix other companies' drivers, and if the drivers do not work after a major (or even) minor update to Windows then you are screwed and your only option is to downgrade Windows.

Back