Unreal Engine 4

Can someone explain (in a practical and technical sense if possible) the difference between temporal anti aliasing and temporal upsampling?

Can someone explain (in a practical and technical sense if possible) the difference between temporal anti aliasing and temporal upsampling?
Both are anti-aliasing in this context, but one is increasing resolution in the process. Render in low resolution for better performance and stretch it to a consistent output/screen resolution.

Both are anti-aliasing in this context, but one is increasing resolution in the process. Render in low resolution for better performance and stretch it to a consistent output/screen resolution.

Isn't the output already being stretched anyway?

I guess what I'm asking for is a step by step outline of how you would do each of them.

Isn't the output already being stretched anyway?

I guess what I'm asking for is a step by step outline of how you would do each of them.
Temporal AA would just be improving edges over time, possibly accounting for small variations in rendering resolution from the dynamic feature. The upsampling would be more significant scaling in regards to resolution. Similar effects as mentioned in the notes, but the quality will differ a bit as the upscaling will likely involve a lot more reconstruction.

Same feature essentially, but made into two bullet points. One letting the resolution float to enhance performance and the other scaling output.

Temporal AA is Uncharted4. Temporal upscalling is Quantum break. Both titles have detailed presentations on their implementations online. Checkerboarded games with TAA is kind of both, if only a naive implementation of it. HZD on PRO is an example of that.

I thought temporal super sampling-TSSAA (used in most games using TAA nowadays, including UC4) was doing the exact same thing, I'm curious to see what this new TAA does in UE4, and what's the main difference when compared against TSSAA.

I thought temporal super sampling-TSSAA (used in most games using TAA nowadays, including UC4) was doing the exact same thing, I'm curious to see what this new TAA does in UE4, and what's the main difference when compared against TSSAA.

I think it's probably similar to UC4. Not all temporal AA solutions accumulate samples for a super-sampling effect.

I think it's probably similar to UC4. Not all temporal AA solutions accumulate samples for a super-sampling effect.
Unreal engine 4 already had that kind of AA since relatively early in its existance. If they are anouncing this as a new feature, its to be expected it does something more.

Last edited:
Using a custom MSAA pattern gives you better coverage, but makes all math more tricky. Aside from being harder to implement, there's nothing about it that prohibits dynamic scaling.

Back