Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compared to the top end GPUs, of course PS5 is going to be 'conservative'! These can cram a gazillion transistors onto a $1000 card drawing 1.21 gigawatts. For a measure of conservativeness, you need to compare the console's horsepower to what the same dollars get in the PC space. A 'high end' console will give more bang per buck than PC parts, but never trump the top possible on PC mining gaming rigs.

What will a $300 graphics card look like in 2020?

so if PS5 comes in at 10-12TF in 2019 versus AMD having a 13TF top end GPU today it would be much less conservative this time round relatively.
I think we'll be super lucky if we get 10-12GF in a theoretical console in 2019, honestly. The price of such a chip would be quite high, considering per-transistor costs has kept going up hugely with each process shrink for a while now.

Here is a new Samsung ARM big core worthy of a console with single threaded performance on par with Apple's Bionic and better than crappy Ryzen mobile--

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/262676-samsungs-new-exynos-m3-processor-ultra-wide-mobile-monster

Samsung octacore CPU, AMD gpu, plus Samsung supplied GDDR6 or low cost HBM would be a beautiful console with a neat manufacturing solution.
I am not seeing anything in that link to support your emotional assertion.

i guess if you were making a nintendo switch pro console you would want the arm arch compatibility so the ~50% higher performance of the new exynos would be valuable, but considering that they basically used an off the shelf tegra x1 its unlikely they would be willing to go with a custom solution...

and its no where near ryzen performance, lol.

I am not seeing anything in that link to support your emotional assertion.

Comparing the raw compute potential this will easily have more of it than entry level Core U and Ryzen mobile chips.

Around 4000+ and 10000+ single and multi scores on Geekbench. (note it's targeting Apple Bionic which scores similarly)

by comparison: Ryzen 5 2500 mobile, 3500 single and multi 9400 geek bench--https://www.custompcreview.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-mobile-apu-geekbench-scores-leak/

i guess if you were making a nintendo switch pro console you would want the arm arch compatibility so the ~50% higher performance of the new exynos would be valuable, but considering that they basically used an off the shelf tegra x1 its unlikely they would be willing to go with a custom solution...

and its no where near ryzen performance, lol.

Are you expecting a Ryzen desktop core in a console?

Comparing the raw compute potential this will easily have more of it than entry level Core U and Ryzen mobile chips.

Around 4000+ and 10000+ single and multi scores on Geekbench. (note it's targeting Apple Bionic which scores similarly)

by comparison: Ryzen 5 2500 mobile, 3500 single and multi 9400 geek bench--https://www.custompcreview.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-mobile-apu-geekbench-scores-leak/
https://www.custompcreview.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-mobile-apu-geekbench-scores-leak/

Haha, did you copy and paste from some random in the Extremetech comments?

"Yes it is. Comparing the raw compute potential this will easily have more of it than entry level Core U and Ryzen mobile chips.

Around 4000 and 10000 single and multi scores on Geekbench."

Anyway, a few points:

- That's Geekbench
- The AMD engineering sample you quote results from is limited to 2 gHz (!!?)
- .... and a single memory channel, with ~5% of X1X's BW
- ... on the ageing and troubled 14nm GF processs
- .... and that's Geekbench.

Are you expecting a Ryzen desktop core in a console?

What exactly do you think the differences are?

(Half size L3 is present in desktop APUs too)

4K gaming should be its number one goal I would think. The ps5 would need to be double the power of the Xbox x to do that with improved simulated AI . AMD should get the job again, reason is they’re cheap and it will keep with the ps4 ethos that was so successful, easy to work with architecture!

Not sure about geekbench being representative of real world gaming code.

Anyway the idea is to use a lower clock 8 cores zen. The current 8 core is over 30000 on that particular benchmark.

The difference between single and multicore from the samsung (only doubled between 1 and 8 cores?) is showing a severe lack of scalability. Zen looks like it's highly scalable. Even 16 cores is scoring 50000.

But again I don't think geekbench is worth much as a benchmark.

I think we'll be super lucky if we get 10-12GF in a theoretical console in 2019, honestly. The price of such a chip would be quite high, considering per-transistor costs has kept going up hugely with each process shrink for a while now.

You are about the most conservative on that metric I've read. I think it is fairly reasonable but given AMD have Zen 2 provisionally down for ~April 2019 and no new GPU until 7nm Navi in ~2H 2019 for desktop 2020 for PS5 might be more likely.

Some on other gaming forums expect/demand 15TF or even 18TF so 10-12TF is modest.

You are about the most conservative on that metric I've read. I think it is fairly reasonable but given AMD have Zen 2 provisionally down for ~April 2019 and no new GPU until 7nm Navi in ~2H 2019 for desktop 2020 for PS5 might be more likely.

Some on other gaming forums expect/demand 15TF or even 18TF so 10-12TF is modest.
From the previous thread and this one, I guess 12tf in 2019 would be considered the ceiling of reasonable expectation on b3d. Nobody came up with a technical explanation of how it would be possible to have more in a console wattage and price. It's even quite difficult to find a way to do 12tf without breaking the bank and have a big hot console. Beyond 2019 is a different question though...

From the previous thread and this one, I guess 12tf in 2019 would be considered the ceiling of reasonable expectation on b3d. Nobody came up with a technical explanation of how it would be possible to have more in a console wattage and price. It's even quite difficult to find a way to do 12tf without breaking the bank and have a big hot console. Beyond 2019 is a different question though...
There’s “technically” possible within TDP limits and then there is price point. If $399 is the goal it’s hard to reach high without subsidy.

console for peasAnts confirmed. :runaway:

It needs to be at least......... 3x the size & powa!

(and cost)
:nope:

Last edited:
Or 60 TF with 24GB ram for $499 for X2X!
Which means the ps5p at 42TF (84TF fp16) for 399.

Crap, those numbers seem so far away... Where are the quantum star trek goo things we were promised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back