Cable companies, consoles, and the games industry.

Concerto

Newcomer
So I had an idea about cable companies and why they do not enter the games industry? Seeing as they control all other means of content (internet, phone, TV) and they won over the FCC ruling. You would think that the games market would be the next avenue to get their greedy hands into.

Think about it “Comcast, now for an additional $500.00 usd, now you can expand you entertainment with the latest games like (insert generic title here) along with our high speed internet and you favorite TV programs. Order soon and get the exclusive preorder dlcmicrotranactionsgambling for said latest title".

The only thing that they would need to do is to charge you for the cheaply made and expensive controller.

They are not global businesses.

Most don't even have coverage that extend across the US.

Comcast only has 28 million subscribers so they would need to convert the vast majority of their users to rival current consoles in terms of userbase.

Who wants to move across town only to lose their console service. Or be forced to limit their choices of residence to only places or areas that support their consoles.

Last edited:
Well to get to those points.

*Yes, creating a console as part of the set-top-box. I do not see why they could not.

* I can see that the cable companies not being a global business can be a problem. I guess I was thinking more domestically here in the U.S.

* In regards to people moving across town to only lose their console service, well, isn’t that how it is now with internet? The companies pretty much have monopolies as it is. Who cares if you have no choice? You want to game, the same as wanting internet? You have to go through them.

*Yes, creating a console as part of the set-top-box. I do not see why they could not.
Very expensive and no-one will develop software for it unless it's a generic PC/Android box that'll take cheap ports.

* In regards to people moving across town to only lose their console service, well, isn’t that how it is now with internet? The companies pretty much have monopolies as it is. Who cares if you have no choice? You want to game, the same as wanting internet? You have to go through them.
You can swap ISP and keep the same services because they are independent. Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, NetFlix and Amazon will all travel with you to any new home. That's very different to losing access to all your games which is what'd happen with cable providers as you suggest.

So as mentioned, very expensive endeavour for a relatively small market that wouldn't be taken up anyway because people would choose to buy independent consoles. Plus they'd be in competition with the TV manufacturers too, with Samsung pushing for their own Tizen ecosystem and Apple serving up games on increasingly powerful TV boxes, etc.

Back