PS2 EE question

Not saying Forza looks bad though. Yes i know, its just that i like all of the 6th gens as a whole. Wasnt much into gamecube, had some great visuals too.
I read the whole of the topic Shifty Geezer recommanded me, covers a whole lot about the PS2. Its not flat-out possible to name the most visual/technically best game on the PS2?

Its not flat-out possible to name the most visual/technically best game on the PS2?
Absolutely. Just after you name the world's greatest movie, the world's most technically accomplished singer, and the best book ever written...

Ok will look into it, is it likt gt4 graphically?
Also is the psp as good as the ps2 in graphics? Never had one but saw gow on it and the thing did very well almost ps2 level.

I played some GTA LCS on PSP and while it looked similar to GTA 3 (apart from resolution, but hardly a problem on the small screen) performance was really bad (but to be fair it was a PSP 1.0 with very old firmware, I think it ran at a lower clock)

GT 4 vs Forza was a good topic back then, I played a lot more Forza but at some point had both games, GT 4 obviously was running at a higher framerate and the visual style is really good, more photo realistic, a very polished game, but, I found Forza a lot more impressive because it was a lot more detailed, the tracks, the cars, also the car simulation was better, you had damage, better sound, more cars at the same time I think.

I think it's undoubtedly a good showing for the Xbox, like the Conker comment, for me it felt like a 480P Xbox 360 game more than something from the PS2 era.

Forza certainly looks better then GT4 but only 30fps. The first PGR was 60fps right?
Played some far cry instincts evolution today, my god its just awfull, i dont understand how reviewers could think it was so impressive. Maybe its my xbox incorrecly caching textures or something, or playing on a big hdtv with composite.

Should try some shadow of the colossus and see how that fares :p

Other seriously impressive games on Xbox and ps2 were burnout 3/revenge and black (to a lesser degree imo) The fact that criterion were able to make that game look and run so well on both consoles is incredible.

Yes black is very impressive, could almost pass as an early 7th gen game, still looks nice today. Have the game on both platforms, both look very nice (little edge to xbox). Burnout 3 ive heard is better on the PS2. Its just too bad that i dont have an old CRT anymore, games dont age that well on modern HDTVs.
Shadow of the colossus aged better then far cry i must say after loading it up, which i think is cause its for the most part an open desert, the frame-rate isnt that great but the game isnt fast paced anyway. Gonna try running it on PCSX2 with EE overclocking and try to get 60fps, maybe som resolution increase too if my pc can handle it :p

Looks amazing for being that old on pcsx2.

Yes black is very impressive, could almost pass as an early 7th gen game, still looks nice today. Have the game on both platforms, both look very nice (little edge to xbox). Burnout 3 ive heard is better on the PS2. Its just too bad that i dont have an old CRT anymore, games dont age that well on modern HDTVs.
Shadow of the colossus aged better then far cry i must say after loading it up, which i think is cause its for the most part an open desert, the frame-rate isnt that great but the game isnt fast paced anyway. Gonna try running it on PCSX2 with EE overclocking and try to get 60fps, maybe som resolution increase too if my pc can handle it :p

Looks amazing for being that old on pcsx2.

What kind of CPU do you have? I have an overclocked haswell pentium which is pretty high up there for emulators, and I can only smoothly emulate it with a 33% overclock. You really need to use the higher settings for the game to be noticeably smoother.

None of the videos i linked to are mine, so dunno what cpu was used to get 60fps/4k can imaginea high oced 7700k/1080 system.
My emulation system has an 3570k which i can oc pretty high. Sotc runs a little better on pcsx2 then a real ps2 but im not gonna get 60 fps neither 4k. Can atleast get native/same fps as ps2 but with added shaders/filters and savestates, its also easy to record and take screendumps, loads fast too so im using pcsx2 if it works fine with that.
You should always have latest dev builds, they are in the 1.5.0 range, and have usb to dual shock 2 converter :)

Just watched two intresting digital foundry videos, they describe how games where achieved on the PS2.

Very intresting watch if you havent seen it yet, DF has done more of those 'retro analyses' What caught my attention was that Silent Hill 2 and MGS2 didnt look as good on the xbox, they dont really go deep into it, but sounded like they think it werent optimized ports. Or the xbox wasnt powerfull enough for just those special effects? They said something about DX8 too in the SH2 video.

SH2 and MGS2 both leveraged the insane fillrate/bandwidth of the PS2 to achieve the look they had. Porting that code to another system required cutbacks to those effects. Games that leveraged the shader engine or texture pipelines in the xbox had similar cutbacks when ported to the PS2. See games like Splinter Cell or Wreckless.

Just watched two intresting digital foundry videos, they describe how games where achieved on the PS2.

Very intresting watch if you havent seen it yet, DF has done more of those 'retro analyses' What caught my attention was that Silent Hill 2 and MGS2 didnt look as good on the xbox, they dont really go deep into it, but sounded like they think it werent optimized ports. Or the xbox wasnt powerfull enough for just those special effects? They said something about DX8 too in the SH2 video.
Two of my favorite games back then :)
They both communicated a proper shift to next gen gaming for me

SH2 and MGS2 both leveraged the insane fillrate/bandwidth of the PS2 to achieve the look they had. Porting that code to another system required cutbacks to those effects. Games that leveraged the shader engine or texture pipelines in the xbox had similar cutbacks when ported to the PS2. See games like Splinter Cell or Wreckless.

Couldnt they alter that code or wrote a new one to avoid cutbacks in those effects for the xbox?

How did they manage to pause and roam around in MGS2??

I think he said something about using debug hardware/software. Quit cool anyways to see analyses like this, this whole DF Retro seems very popular aswell. DF has gone through many games, including the 90's but mostly 6th gen it seems.

Couldnt they alter that code or wrote a new one to avoid cutbacks in those effects for the xbox?
Of course they could, at least in some cases. But that might require a reworking of the render pipeline and that isn't exactly economically responsible if you are trying to make a decent return on investment. The thing with both SH2 and MGS2 is that they were both developed on PS2 as the lead platform and were ported to XB much later. The developers made it happen but it's unrealistic to think that that they would rework large parts of the game to work better on the XB when XB had a much smaller market share, and the fact that the system was able to run versions of the games that are close enough in most scenes to the original PS2 release to get the job done.

Yeah makes sense, remember something that MGS2 didnt sell well on the xbox... PS2 version being smoother its not so hard to see why. Even the pc version was bad, that is if you got it to run at all.

the fact that the system was able to run versions of the games that are close enough in most scenes to the original PS2 release to get the job done.

Seems a disadvantage being the easier developed for console and much more powerfull, like if i devs just straight-ported games that way.

Another impressive PS2 game, never played it but going to on PCSX2 if i get it running well there with some resolution increase.

Wanting to check out a fighter game with the best graphics of the gen, not easy to find any advice on that? Tekken 5 according to reviews has very nice graphics, then people talk about Dead or Alive 3 and Ultimate.

I know its youtube, but i dont see any difference between the two? Offcourse thats maybe cause i dont have an eye for it to see the most technically advanced, but just what 'looks better' is just as important . Seems like tekken has better character shadows?
Which one to experience for the best gfx of fighters that gen? Or are there fighters with better graphics?

Back