Kaz Hirai stepping down from heading Sony

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-02-kaz-hirai-to-step-down-as-sony-boss

He's been instrumental in turning it around. Wonder what the new boss will be like? Not filled with confidence! Edit : Okay, close right-hand man apparently.

Kaz Hirai - "My successor, Kenichiro Yoshida, has supported me closely since returning to Sony in December 2013, contributing extensively beyond his remit as CFO and acting as valuable confidant and business partner, as we took on the challenge of transforming Sony together. Mr. Yoshida combines a deeply strategic mindset with a relentless determination to achieve defined targets, and the ability to take a global viewpoint. I believe he possesses the breadth of experience and perspective, as well as the unwavering leadership qualities required to manage Sony's diverse array of businesses, and as such is the ideal person to drive the company forward into the future. As Chairman, I will of course offer my full support to Mr. Yoshida and the new management team, and do all I can to facilitate a smooth transition and ensure their future success."

its a pretty big deal, because this could be a possible turning point for the company in either direction. The only challenge is that ti's unknown. I think with Kaz staying on as chair it's won't be a radical change. That being said, sometimes the changing of the guard is the best thing a company can have, see Satya and where MS is compared to when Steve was running MS.

Or, on a smaller scale, Phil Spencer (lad!) compared to the tosser that was trying to take away anyone's ability to own anything.

Phil Spencer has done well from Xbox, he's been promoted three times in the past four years!

Phil Spencer has done well from Xbox, he's been promoted three times in the past four years!

Wow, that much? Deservedly so IMO. For one thing, he's single handedly responsible for making me respect XBox as a worthy competitor that benefits the market.

This generation's been quite nice altogether. Sony and Nintendo have both gotten their shit together (for the most part) and Microsoft lost the market dominance (whilst increasing profitability) that might have prevented the former from happening.

Anyway, I hope Kaz Hirai takes a long holiday - it must be exhausting turning an entire multi billion dollar business around.

Kaz Hirai takes a long holiday - it must be exhausting turning an entire multi billion dollar business around.
what he did was monumental. Very few leaders are capable of this, I've seen so many companies too large to fail go down the drain.

He did a great job. I was surprised he lasted so many years, this positions usually are very stressful and people don't last long.

Timed with Q3 announcement of operating profit at $3.2b, and they also raised the year guidance again. Job well done indeed.

Stock was 900jpy at the end of 2012, it's 5500jpy today.

Apparently it's sony's highest Q3 in history. It beat analysts estimates by nearly 50%.

They're not making much money from console hardware. Actually the explanation for the higher profit is a higher demand for image sensors. The R&D in that field keeps sony ahead of everybody else for high end smartphones. Fun deals to be done with samsung since they're a big client... Image sensors in exchange of gddr6 or hbm.

I guess that explains why Sony didn’t have any good deals on the PS4 in December.
They actually noted high amount of holiday sales as a reason why they are lowering their guidance for full year results of Playstation division.

Back