Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

3.1 is so sparse , but hopefully the network issues are fixed. You can see how slow the time line is and with so few ships ready to be implemented I doubt SQ42 is ready this year. It sounds like a late 2019 thing at best

New volumetric fog tech in one Video

I also wonder if they will use this tech to introduce more detailed clouds into the atmosphere and create gas giants in their full size. I think they want to make the technology as versatile as possible and also create nebulae that cover an entire star system. As far as the tech is concerned this is industrial-leading because there is nothing in gaming that is similar and they had to find out most of it by their own.
They also talked about tunnels through these gas clouds and making flying from point to point more interesting. It should also have an effect on the spacecraft and the controls when one flies into.

Visuel style of (science fiction) films, which I think CIG should target for some scenarios:
-Alien
-Prometheus
-Alien: Covenant
-Oblivion
-Maze Runner
-Blade Runner

Which ones they should not? (Wouldn't match the style)
-The Fifth Element
-Valerian
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Ghost in the Shell
-Event Horizon --> What is this actually? DOOM in space?

Alien: Covenant impressed me extremely.

Last edited:
So the F8 ship (which I am guessing is a newer F7 hornet ? )is only going to be on sale (For cash I believe) if you complete Sq42... what are your thoughts on this ? I think its a big insane as for newer backers SQ42 is $45 bucks. edit = or apparently if you backed for 10 grand or more

Last edited:
Code:
again !
     ^
Noooo! No space here!!! :LOL:

(Sorry Jupiter... I'm derailing your fine thread. I'll stop...)

green.pixel started this in 2012 lol …. that's how old this thread is . I don't even think that person posts here anymore but so many peoples names have changed

green.pixel started this in 2012 lol …. that's how old this thread is . I don't even think that person posts here anymore but so many peoples names have changed
I was here and I'm early backer with that gold ticket I can show in virtual display cabinet ...
At least I've only backet for Orion 300i at around $65 total.
Not very happy about how long they take to produce anything playable, but I applaud the universe and vision for this game.
If I live long enough, I might even play it i ln near finished form :)

It does not "suck" but the Origin 300s and Mustang ships which will be remodeled by the new metrics.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Frankfurt Studio Update

Horizon Based SSDO. Let's see what that looks like when it takes a sample at each rey to prevent under-sampling. I like the first comparison pictures. SSDO was already clearly superior to SSAO because shadows, for example, could take on the color of the object. It will also be better than HBAO because HBAO is a Horizon Based SSAO. SSAO < SSDO.

As long as CIG continues to release so many interesting videos every week and improves the PU I can wait. It does not help to publish an unfinished game. This year CIG releases at least three videos every week which I must see because they are so good. On Monday the questions with the most upvotes are asked which are then put to the appropriate developers. On the Thursday a video as linked above and on Friday a deep questions and answers to one to three persons. That's better than watching TV. ^^

Then there is still a subscribers Town Hall every month. Btw the subscribers paying for the production of these videos and not the backers.

The composer (which was there to answer the questions two weeks ago) was funny I never thought that I would laught about such jokes (4:53).

Later in this video (8:50) Chris Roberts also answers what exactly they are doing with the F8c Lighting.

CIG will release the public version of Alpha 3.0.1 soon.

Last edited:
This game looks awesome indeed, have been randomly checking its progress myself.

So, currently, backers have access to some alpha builds already? And multiplayer? With star systems and planetary landings already or just a traditional limited space?

I did not search google much yet, but really curious to know what are the average draw calls, if someone could measure that...

I know that this will sound ridiculous, but I have been developing a somewhat similar game alone. I can only spend weekends on it so my progress is slow, but I have hopes to release it this year yet, for $5 or so.

Yes, there is an alpha version which is still very rough and where many functions are missing. For beginners I would still not recommended it yet. It is possible to land on planets (server with 50 players at the moment) and everything goes without loading screens etc. I don't know the Draw Call numbers but it would be interesting to know them. CIG wants to ship the game with a low level API (Vulkan).

I made a video the other day talking about the problems with the Freelancer. Your more than welcome to check it out if you want

and if you want to try out any of my fleet that is playable just let me know and we can meet up in game and you can fly it

Very good video where I agree on most points. They are all well-founded and the ship design is indeed illogical in some areas. However, I wouldn't say the Freelancer "sucks" as a whole.
I wouldn't expect a big redesign of the Freelancer as it has been completely redesigned before but what I can imagine is that they improve the cockpit view because this one is really too bad and that has a huge effect on the fun factor. Let's see how the other Freelancer versions will be. Its sure that the UI/HUD is still undergoing general revisions.

I've never seen the top airlock before so maybe it's even relatively new. ^^ In the middle freight area weapon shelves can perhaps be placed at some point? Who knows.

Many functions will be added which is why I would not say that both two rear seats are superfluous but three seats (like in the Constellation) in the whole cockpit area would definitely be enough.

All in all, for the same money I would prefer the Cutlass which is brilliant and one of my favorite ships.

I'm not playing it right now, but I'll let you know. I don't even know if my name is X-RAY-86 or X-RAY-89 or something like that since I have several similar ones.

Last edited:
Since the airlock is in the middle section it would be 100% better to have the side door there but these large guns are on the outside in this area. For one to two years CIG has been developing the spaceships from inside first (before concepts etc.) and then outside. Spaceships should become more and more authentic.

Don't forget that many ships are in Squadron 42 as well. Some capital ships have 8 chairs on the bridge where NPCs are doing some stuff but in the PU 8 people will probably not be needed on the bridge.

I'm most curious about the Carrack (it is basically the Prometheus from the Prometheus movie).

Last edited:
Yes, there is an alpha version which is still very rough and where many functions are missing. For beginners I would still not recommended it yet. It is possible to land on planets (server with 50 players at the moment) and everything goes without loading screens etc. I don't know the Draw Call numbers but it would be interesting to know them. CIG wants to ship the game with a low level API (Vulkan).

Very good video where I agree on most points. They are all well-founded and the ship design is indeed illogical in some areas. However, I wouldn't say the Freelancer "sucks" as a whole.
I wouldn't expect a big redesign of the Freelancer as it has been completely redesigned before but what I can imagine is that they improve the cockpit view because this one is really too bad and that has a huge effect on the fun factor. Let's see how the other Freelancer versions will be. Its sure that the UI/HUD is still undergoing general revisions.

I've never seen the top airlock before so maybe it's even relatively new. ^^ In the middle freight area weapon shelves can perhaps be placed at some point? Who knows.

Many functions will be added which is why I would not say that both two rear seats are superfluous but three seats (like in the Constellation) in the whole cockpit area would definitely be enough.

All in all, for the same money I would prefer the Cutlass which is brilliant and one of my favorite ships.

I'm not playing it right now, but I'll let you know. I don't even know if my name is X-RAY-86 or X-RAY-89 or something like that since I have several similar ones.

The problem is its pricing and what it is. With the Avenger and Mustang both getting reworks into larger ships they are getting closer in size to the freelancer. So now you have the issue where these ships are cheaper and encroach upon the domain of the freelancer. Also the ship was redesigned into this in 2015 I believe so its quite old and can really use a once over. But I am glad you like my ramblings

New starter profession ship. Repair , Rearm , Refuel . Apparently for early access sale its $185

Also the mustang is getting a rework and you can see what it looks like here

https://streamable.com/ulh4q

Its much larger , if anyone is looking to jump in to the alpha this is the ship to get right now its $45 right now with the alpha for star citizen. Its another $15 currently for SQ42 so you can get both for $60. Apparently they are going to raise the price of both in the coming months. The rumor is 60-70 usd for the mustang , putting it slightly below the avenger and kore and that SQ42 will cost $30 instead of a $15 add on.

IF your going to sign up for the first time use my referral or jupiters or someone else on the forum since I figure we will all end up trying to play with each other. You get 5,000 uec added onto your pledge and so do I . https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-NT3J-HPTV anything I get from the referral I will use to help out any of you guys. I have amassed a huge war chest simply from having pledge really early .

Back