Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Just call them zombies, that's what everyone calls them, that's what people would call zombies if zombies appeared in real life.

Zombies, walkers, zeds, infected. The term zombie is used less in current pop culture that it previously was. Zombie is almost retro at this point! :yes:

But imagine what would happen if they ever introduce zombies into the world of freakers! So much potential. I hope I didnt spoil the first DLC.

old school zombies are so slow and fragile, they wouldn’t last seconds ...

old school zombies are so slow and fragile, they wouldn’t last seconds ...

Right, and there are "old school" shambling zombies like the original Romero films and the "modern" running zombies. 'Zombie' can be a lot of things now. Slow, fast, smart, stupid, brain-craving, flesh-eating. The word has almost lost all meaning other than something being generally unpleasant with poor table manners.

Right, and there are "old school" shambling zombies like the original Romero films and the "modern" running zombies. 'Zombie' can be a lot of things now. Slow, fast, smart, stupid, brain-craving, flesh-eating. The word has almost lost all meaning other than something being generally unpleasant with poor table manners.
I miss the good old times when my character was a weak, vulnerable human with limited supplies against slow but very hard to stop zombies followed later by stronger and faster ones.
This is why Resi 1 and Remake did wonders.

On a technical note, rewatching the extended demo, I notice a nice rendering trick they are using. Screen-space shadows.
You can notice it at the 1minute mark, as the shadows of some weeds disappear when they get occlued in SS, even though they are actually closer to the camera.

Of course the Screen-space depth buffer has nowhere near enough information for correct shadowing, but It can be useful to provide a complement for cascaded shadowmaps if implemented correctly. SS can capture small pixel sized details that would go missing or be too blocky in the shadow-map. Great for hard and detailed contact-shadows, and for hiding peter-panning and some of the pop-in between cascade transitions.

The implementation in the old demo is pretty rough compared to what I'm using now. For a start it didn't have to support 4k :p

There have been a few shipping games using different forms of sss in the meantime.

Funny, the first time I messed about with sss was ~ 8 years ago. But I eventually came to the conclusion it just wouldn't work out without an absolute tonne of samples, and instead I focused on reflections instead ...

Wait, I thought you worked at Ready at Dawn, Graham... Or is that Grall. Or is that neither? I'm confused.

Last edited:
Wait, I thought you worked at Ready at Dawn, Gralm... Or is that Graham. Or is that neither? I'm confused.
MJP is ready at dawn if that’s whom you may be thinking of. But he hasn’t posted here in a while.

Wait, I thought you worked at Ready at Dawn, Graham... Or is that Grall. Or is that neither? I'm confused.

No I've been at bend for ~4 years now. Previously I was at guerrilla cambridge.

Also: FWIW we are hiring for a senior graphics programmer. :mrgreen: so yeah. If you like the thought of living in a mountain resort town with a 5 minute commute... Then mention me so I get the finders bonus.

Also: FWIW we are hiring for a senior graphics programmer. :mrgreen: so yeah. If you like the thought of living in a mountain resort town with a 5 minute commute... Then mention me so I get the finders bonus.
Curious question, but do you meet up with the other B3D senior devs here? LIke sebbbi , MJP, others at GDC or things like that?

Curious question, but do you meet up with the other B3D senior devs here? LIke sebbbi , MJP, others at GDC or things like that?

Only times I've been at gdc in the past it's always been for meetings and the like. Once I had a pass just for a 20m meeting and then I had to leave town...
Sony have their own thing going on in town before, which is usually my focus.

I got some 6502 Assembly experience and not to forget I learned Pascal in highschool, if you are able to get a bonus for that I am willing to relocate :p
Ohh I know nothing about graphics and I am totally useless at math.

:D

I'm not a game dev, or even a professional programmer, but I'm very good at living on resorts, which I feel is a big qualification.

Did I forget to mention we have a rigorous 30 day application process where you must code to the death with other candidates in a no holds barred programming cage fight?

Anything goes-to, where an unholy union of un structured chaos breaks upon you. For no pointers given xor catches in place, a new class of virtual destruction awaits.

Did I forget to mention we have a rigorous 30 day application process where you must code to the death with other candidates in a no holds barred programming cage fight?

Anything goes-to, where an unholy union of un structured chaos breaks upon you. For no pointers given xor catches in place, a new class of virtual destruction awaits.

Only in the nude....

The fate of Hello World rests in your hands. ಠ_ಠ

Byte Me.
You byte like Nulli
You fight like Tally

M-m-m-monster Cull
Cull em all!
Nulled them!
You leak better than you type
Try turning thread safety off
Compile this!

Culling Spree