AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

The context in which the blockchain driver was launched was that AMD quickly needed to address an issue that was heavily crippling the ETH mining performance of its Polaris, and then later Vega, series. It never left Beta stage.. I don't think there was much of a roadmap for this driver branch, rather than the pure necessity that had spawned it.

Now AMD probably thinks the Blockchain driver is no longer needed, as Adrenalin had solved the problem for which the Blockchain driver was commisioned back then

Further, I see no necessary connection between the branding of the FE as being for Blockchain ethusiasts and the Blockchain driver

The video says AMD is expected to release more info about this after their investor call, which is later today.
Why FE and not a WX series though? FE being tied to 8-Hi HBM2 isn't that worthwhile for block chain unless someone has a huge DAG.

Could be a newer revision of FE with that HBM2 refresh. The added bandwidth would definitely help mining and being FE, risk production less of an issue. Not going to meet demand though. I'd think a reworked FE with four stacks would be more practical for mining. Added potential for bandwidth or capacity.

Sure after all thast why the 56 exists and not just the 64. Even if only 2 dies per wafer don't hit the 56 specs they should still be sitting on hundreds if not thousands of sub 56 dies.
Those could be the Vega32/Nano chips or a premium mobile product with less demand.

Now AMD probably thinks the Blockchain driver is no longer needed, as Adrenalin had solved the problem for which the Blockchain driver was commisioned back then

You mean the current drivers don't have terrible cryptonight performance anymore?

Further, I see no necessary connection between the branding of the FE as being for Blockchain ethusiasts
The branding of the FE for blockchain enthusiasts comes directly from the FE's official page.

You mean the current drivers don't have terrible cryptonight performance anymore?

No, I meant it's likely AMD doesn't know about the reduced Cryptonight Performance.

The branding of the FE for blockchain enthusiasts comes directly from the FE's official page.

I was made already aware of that branding by someone posting here. I was disputing the fact that AMD is actively promoting the blockchain driver for these rediscovered FEs. But it seems I was wrong and AMD does promote it, under the "I Want to Mine" bullet point

LE : They do even post a Cryptonight grapth there though. But that1600 h/s rate is achievable with the normal drivers as well, I think

No, I meant it's likely AMD doesn't know about the reduced Cryptonight Performance.
Oh come on... this is impossible..
Someone is doing research on what these cards are being used for, and a very large portion off all Vegas out there are being used to mine Monero. There's just no way they don't know that.

Even more considering they have Cryptonight mining performance numbers in their graphs!

LE : They do even post a Cryptonight grapth there though. But that1600 h/s rate is achievable with the normal drivers as well, I think
IIRC, I got 1100-1200 H/s on the regular drivers, and a steady 1700 H/s on the blockchain drivers on my Vega 64.

This is without any HBM overclocking or registry tweaks.

Why FE and not a WX series though? FE being tied to 8-Hi HBM2 isn't that worthwhile for block chain unless someone has a huge DAG.

Could be a newer revision of FE with that HBM2 refresh. The added bandwidth would definitely help mining and being FE, risk production less of an issue. Not going to meet demand though. I'd think a reworked FE with four stacks would be more practical for mining. Added potential for bandwidth or capacity.

Those could be the Vega32/Nano chips or a premium mobile product with less demand.

at the same time it would be hard to sell a vega 32 at higher than the 56 or 64 prices. However if they make a mining edition they could price it higher and people will buy it , esp miners

With tweaks you could hit 2150 H/s without much trouble.
Does the "without much trouble" involve cranking up the fan speed all the way to >3000 RPM making my office a terrible noise generator?

The purpose right now is to keep the room area of the house a bit warmer. Meaning the office door is open and all the other doors are kept open throughout the day and night.
We're all comfortable with the fan at ~2400 RPM, but we're not willing to significantly lower our comfort by having a 60dBA high-pitched turbine in one of the rooms.

I found out that enabling HBCC even maintains hashing performance at 1700 H/s if I downclock the HBM2 down to 920MHz or so.

My optimization efforts are not just for hashing/power. They're for hashing/(power+noise).

Does the "without much trouble" involve cranking up the fan speed all the way to >3000 RPM making my office a terrible noise generator?

The purpose right now is to keep the room area of the house a bit warmer. Meaning the office door is open and all the other doors are kept open throughout the day and night.
We're all comfortable with the fan at ~2400 RPM, but we're not willing to significantly lower our comfort by having a 60dBA high-pitched turbine in one of the rooms.

I found out that enabling HBCC even maintains hashing performance at 1700 H/s if I downclock the HBM2 down to 920MHz or so.

My optimization efforts are not just for hashing/power. They're for hashing/(power+noise).

You can follow this guide.

You can follow this guide.

Yup, and my problem is:

Name=Vega64
GPU_P0=852;900;0
Mem_P0=167;900;0.
Fan_Min=3000
Fan_Max=4900

Fan_Target=75
Fan_Acoustic=2400
Power_Temp=85
Power_Target=0

The thing about overclocking the HBM2 is that once it gets over ~70ºC the hashrate drops significantly, and the only way to avoid that is to put the fan rotating at astronomical levels.
This is fine for a miner who has their PC closed off in a storage room away from the bedrooms, but my office is just next to my bedroom.
I'm not tradiing away more hashes for real quality of life.

Even less when XMR just hasn't been able to maintain its value and it's apparently on a steady decline this past month.

Bought my 2 WC Vegas @ around 650 EUR (which now even sounds like a sweet deal)

First must say that I'm quite sensitive to noise. Especially from computer parts :p
The pumps are somewhat annoying at idle (I also now have a Kraken X62 whose pump is inaudible in comparison). One of the fans seems also to be slightly defective (it's not too easy to replace it), it is audible in idle as well.

I do sleep in the room with this desktop while it's mining (@ ~2000 h/s XMR), so it's still decent (while louder, the sounds are possibly less annoying than at idle). Temps are 64-65 deg for GPU. I've not looked at HBM explicitly, but everytime I've checked hashrates they looked like nothing is trottling.

Noise wise though, I have the feeling that the highest end air cool custom Vegas perform better then the WC ones I have.

Official WC :)p) version was A LOT more expensive than €150, though... Wasn't it like, 60% more expensive?
The Liquid Cooled Vega 64 sold initially for €700 (€200 more) but it bundled the 2 games.. and the watercooler was included in the 2-year warranty, which is my main gripe here.

Ah, right. You're talking about the standard Vega WC. I was thinking of the founder's edition, for some reason...

I do sleep in the room with this desktop while it's mining (@ ~2000 h/s XMR), so it's still decent (while louder, the sounds are possibly less annoying than at idle). Temps are 64-65 deg for GPU. I've not looked at HBM explicitly, but everytime I've checked hashrates they looked like nothing is trottling.

Do you only get 2000 H/s with two VEGA 64's ? o_O

Ah, right. You're talking about the standard Vega WC. I was thinking of the founder's edition, for some reason...
Wait, AMD has a Vega Founders Edition? Man, I wish I would have gotten that instead of the Frontiers Edition! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back