Monster Hunter World [XO, PS4, PC]

Have you ever played Monster Hunter before ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
Last night was the first night I can say I enjoyed playing. Tobi-Kadachi and Anjanath were both challenging and fun. Long fights that didn't feel tedious. Up to that point the game was too easy, so the fights just felt really long and boring.

Last night was the first night I can say I enjoyed playing. Tobi-Kadachi and Anjanath were both challenging and fun. Long fights that didn't feel tedious. Up to that point the game was too easy, so the fights just felt really long and boring.
oh.. you're warming up. I need to follow your feed on this for a bit lol

So far I'm enjoying it. The bosses are well done. It isn't a perfect game by any stretch. The story is abysmal and childish, and all of the characters are annoying. Overall the monster fights are enjoyable. The grind hasn't really hit me yet. I'm surprised at how easy it is. The fights can be long, but they're not very hard. You need to pay attention to what you're doing, but you never stop making forward progress in the game. I haven't had to repeat any missions yet and I think I'm about 2/3 through.

can you play the whole game in coop ?
i loved lost planet 2 for that.

Yes, but there's an annoying thing with each story mission where you have to have watched the cutscene before the boss fight before you can join up. So you always have to split up, each track the monster and watch the cutscene and then rejoin to fight it. It's a pain and I have no idea wthey did it that way. With optionals, investigations and events you don't need to split up.

This game is great. I can't believe how many things this game does right. Such a high level of game design polish. Every time you feel that this part could need some QoL change...welp, just open your eyes, it is in there already...the devs had already thought about it.

The content of this game is unbelievable. It baffles my mind how good this game is in comparison to Destiny 2, the last loot grinder I played extensively.The grinding+fighting+gear crafting loop is so much better and rewarding...amazing. Works perfectly for me. Every time I feel I reached the top of the weapon tree...I do a story mission and the tree opens up again. There are already so many variations of weapons. I like it. Also, there are so many different mission types...although from a distance it always just seems to fight the same monsters over and over again. I especially like the way you can focus on grinding special weapons in a controlled way (there is still rng of course, but it feels much fairer to me).

Online play for the most part is well done, except for the bespoken coop campaign nonsense. This is really such a bullshit thing...that I have no idea what happened there. But, doing missions together, especially with squad members is very easy and actually really cool: the monsters not only gain more health but also use different moves. It was amazing when we where hunting down a Rathalos, until he mets an angry Anjanath....it didn't took long until the stupid Great Jagras joint the duo. Ha ha ha...what a mayhem...of course Great Jagra got destroyed.

Oh, did an arena fight solo against two top tier monsters (relative to my current level), one being Odogaron and the other rolling spike thing....tremendous battle and I could finally craft my missing arm gear, as I was missing bone+ material.

Next up: bow with ice element...me want so badly...now!!!

PS: Bow main for life.

Last edited:
I've hit a point where my motivation to play is near zero because grinding for materials has hit for alpha and beta gear. I crafted a weapon where the blast damage is locked until I socket it with a particular gem, or some dumb shit.

Grinding the zora level is horrible. Maybe one of the worst levels I've played in any game in the past decade, and they've artifically gated it where it isn't always available. They don't want you to be able to make the zora gear to fast, but the zora mission is easy and allows you to harvest materials easily, so they just put artificial gates on it that no other quest has.

Fighting new monsters is genuinely fun, but now content is repeating with high rank versions of the same maps and monsters. Considering the terrible story, my motivation to play on is dead, but I know there are a few monsters I haven't seen. I just don't want to go through a tedious gear up phase to get to them.

This game keeps on giving and giving...unbelievable! Content seems to be unlimited!

Game has a perfect way of doing NG+ in some sense, while introducing new monsters on top.

Elder dragons are rly a challenge now and high lvl gear is needed.

I could beat Daora yesterday with a friend...still need the story mission.

I am hunter rank 14 now after about 90h of gaming. I just read that true endgame starts at hunter rank 50 :)

Ha ha ha, I am right im the middle of grinding for specific skills now.

I rly want to try a stamina surge/constitution bow build...seems like the dream!

I also farm for the Legiana 4 piece set...gives you the skill mighty bow! I need it.

I've hit a point where my motivation to play is near zero because grinding for materials has hit for alpha and beta gear. I crafted a weapon where the blast damage is locked until I socket it with a particular gem, or some dumb shit.

Grinding the zora level is horrible. Maybe one of the worst levels I've played in any game in the past decade, and they've artifically gated it where it isn't always available. They don't want you to be able to make the zora gear to fast, but the zora mission is easy and allows you to harvest materials easily, so they just put artificial gates on it that no other quest has.

Fighting new monsters is genuinely fun, but now content is repeating with high rank versions of the same maps and monsters. Considering the terrible story, my motivation to play on is dead, but I know there are a few monsters I haven't seen. I just don't want to go through a tedious gear up phase to get to them.

But why do you then even play the game if you don‘t like the core gamedesign loop: you hunt monsters, grind them for better gear, craft it, to hunt stronger monsters...to grind for better material and better gear...to hunt for stronger monsters...and so on. There is basically not more to it.

This is similar to Diablo 3 greater rifts, and to some extent Destiny...although Destiny has no guided way of farming and is pure rng based and rly has no different content/enemies and no sense of progression due to stupid light lvl scaling of enemies.

E.g. I tried to capture a Tobi Kadachi the other day and accidently killed him in 2min with my new bow.

Btw, there is a new area you can unlock and the story mode is actually not finished...giving you plenty of new monsters (3 in the new area, bazelgeuze is in every map it seems...all the new elder dragons, and some others that appear late game)

You need the element free skill to unlock the hidden element.zora indeed has armor with this skill...but Zora is not so good, as it is probably so easy to get. If you go the element free route, you need to specifically make a build for it (gain the hidden element, but sacrifice other good skills of course).

PS: Zora gear seems pretty bad anyway, no need to grind. It is a bit of a waste in time. But I still did it. Also, there is no artificial gate!! Just answer to the SoS flares and joining online quests...for me, there was always a Zora mission to join and you can grind away with no break if you wish :) Special tip for grinding: if you do tge grimalkine quest in the rotten vale, you get the plunderblade gadget for your palico. With this gadget, your cat gets material mid fight on its own :)

PPS: alpha and beta gear is where the fun starts imo: you get sockets that allow you to fully customize your build. There are so many build variations...unbelievable. I saw 6 different end game must have builds for bow already:) and that is just one weapon. Compare this to the “meta” of other games :)

PPPS: new real meta in MHW: take on your moss swine mask, eat all the mushrooms with its special skill, get all the buffs that last until you die, then change your gear and start fighting the monster...ha ha ha, crazy MHW!

Oh, I just found out that even Datto, a Destiny yt content creator classic, is doing MHW vids now...naisuu!

I like that this game has such a big community with lots of vids to learn new stuff from.

I just hit a new area last night. It has some new bosses, which is good because I'm tired of the old ones. I thought the zora tear armour would be tops, but I was wrong. Starting to see all kinds of new stuff now as I fight enemies and collect materials. Glad, because that zora mission is a huge pile of shit. It's a gaming lowlight for the ages.

I actually hate most loot and grind games. Diablo 3 is one of my most hated games. The odd time a game will do it right, and the progression remains steady so you can finish the campaign using what you get, or with little grinding, so the loot becomes options rather than work. So far, in monster hunter, it's stayed fairly close to that mark. It's just where I'm at now, I'm starting to have to think about where I want to go with my armour and weapons because I'll have to grind money and materials, so it's better to plan out where I want to go to minimize the grind.

According to a walk through I have 5 story missions left. So far I'd put the game at a 7 out of 10. It's been ok. The biggest issue is the broken co-op mode that doesn't let you play through cut scenes together, so my group constantly has to split up, hit a cutscene and then come back together. It's a massive design flaw that I can't understand.

As to responding to SOS flares, I have no interest. I play with a group of friends or I don't play at all.

Another thing I've learned is people get really defensive about Monster Hunter. I told my group I was getting bored with it (I do have probably 30-40 hours already, haven't checked) and they started getting weird about it.

if you don't like repeating grind games then it's understandable. They're not for everyone. Accept that and move on without feeling guilty that you're not enjoying yourself anymore :) It's not like you didn't get some good enjoyment out of the game already.

if you don't like repeating grind games then it's understandable. They're not for everyone. Accept that and move on without feeling guilty that you're not enjoying yourself anymore :) It's not like you didn't get some good enjoyment out of the game already.

I definitely got value out of it. It isn't a bad game. The hours I put in were worth it. I hate leaving games incomplete. Wish the main campaign were a little shorter, and I could see more of the monsters before I'd have to start grinding. I only have five story missions left, so I'll probably try to tough it out, but the pace my friends want to play at is more than I'm interested in. May just finish it solo so I can pace it out.

Could beat Kushala Daora campaign mission finally. But I need its Gem to upgrade my fitness charm to level 3...

And I so need the Nergigante tail...

But I finally got the Legiana set and I love the mighty bow perk...now I am prepared with my ice build to take on Diablos Nero :cool:

Finished the last (so far) campaign mission...a 9 star tempered Kirin. One shot ass!!

What is crazy...endgame starts now it seems. I am HR66 or so, trying to get tempered monsters...to get sweet jewels (where is my mighty bow...must be Bungies fault somehow).

And apparently, you can even upgrade weapons further...lol.

Game is a sensation.

I stopped playing the game. At the 60 hour mark I started to hate it and wasn't having fun, so I've put it down to finish later. I still think grinding is a failure in design, a holdover from mmos with subscription fees that want to slow down progression. Not sure why it's still relevant or appealing. The actual bosses in monster hunter were starting to feel samey, and I wasn't enjoying doing investigations for materials. I'd captured all of the monsters i'd seen enough times that I was done with them.

It's not a bad game. I put 60 hours in. But it's definitely a game for people who enjoy the meta game, and grind. If preparing for a fight is part of the fun for you, this is your game.

Just played the intro area.... This game is so convoluted!

The HUD is super busy. The buttons also confusing. Exacerbated by the inconsistency by design (e.g. X is jump but only while out of town).

The game also stutters a ton.

Glad I ddjt spend any money on this

Oh, cool! Amazing...I just found out you can modify your weapon even further in late game...called augments. Crazy, here comes the next goal :) seems similar to the endgame stuff in Diablo 3, where you really min/max your build as good as somehow possible.

This game keeps on giving and giving...I can’t believe it.

All for a standard price, no microtransaction bullshit, apparently (which is honestly hard to believe for me) even DLC is free??? What? In this day and age?

We have one of the best games ever made...costing standard money?!?

Kudos to the devs.

Back