Monster Hunter World [XO, PS4, PC]

Have you ever played Monster Hunter before ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
Anyone know if both the Pro and X run at the same resolution or slightly higher on the latter? Very tempted of getting this, the graphics do look pretty nice.

I watched a twitch stream and the game looked really ho-hum with lots of frame drops. Are you guys playing the same game?

I mean I went from being awestruck by the water in Sea of thieves to this. Green/brown textured ground, no foliage, no shadows. Yuck.

Last edited:
I watched a twitch stream and the game looked really ho-hum with lots of frame drops. Are you guys playing the same game?

I mean I went from being awestruck by the water in Sea of thieves to this. Green/brown textured ground, no foliage, no shadows. Yuck.
Game looks pretty nice, level of geometry density is an order of magnitude higher than SoT with much more particle effects and more complex shaders. The only downsides I see are some low res textures and character models could be better.

how would you describe the combat? I can watch, but it's not the same as pushing the buttons themselves
I found it very satisfying thanks to the responsive controls. Very improved from previous game but it's not easy combat. You'll need to master the controls and the camera if you want to be more effective, avoid the attacks, be aware of your surroundings.
Watching a lot of streams so far, and here are some observations.
  • Runs good on PS4-P, some frame rate issues on PS4 (Jesse Cox almost died just now because the framerate in game tanked for some reason).
    • He uses a hardware capture card for streaming, so it's not due to streaming the game on PS4.
  • It is FAR more accessible than previous Monster Hunters.
    • For example, weapon stones are now unlimited and you just have them. Mining picks are unlimited.
    • Movement seems to be more fluid than past MH games.
  • Game looks gorgeous. Only 26 days into the year, but so far it's my game of the year for graphics. :p
  • It's the same grind. So that's good and bad. Great if you like the gameplay loop, bad if you don't.
  • Story just like before is just a thin story leading up to when the game really begins (the grind to kill monsters to get drops to make and upgrade gear to kill tougher monsters to get drops to make and upgrade gear to kill tougher monsters...etc.)
In Short a slightly simplified (item management simplified) Monster Hunter that looks gorgeous and seems to play really well.
Previous MH were not only more less accessible, they were more often uselessly frustrating. They simplified the idem management, but at the same time added systems elsewhere, made the exploration interesting etc.
It's not Dark Souls, but if you've ever played a Dark Souls game the combat is sorta kinda like that. It's the same thing where you have to stop moving to attack. But the combat is a bit faster paced and attacks are more varied.
Regards,
SB

Not for all weapons. I use the sword + shield. I always run and attack at the same time, running around my prey. I also tried the ranged weapon, you also can move while aiming and shooting.

In which rendering mode? On One X it has 3 options to focus on A) resolution, B) framerate , or C) graphics.

3 modes on Pro too. I use the framerate mode.

Last edited:
Somehow my friends convinced me to get this. Best part of the game is when the cats cook for you. Playing on One X in frame rate mode.

So far I'm not a fan of the combat. It's very old school, which is fine. The enemies have tells for their attacks, and they seem to have multiple phases where their attacks switch. All good. The enemies take a very long time to do, which makes the fights feel repetitive and grindy. I also feel like the melee weapons are weird. Enemies seem like a giant hitbox, so you just spam combos and dodge. I also haven't figured out if the weapons have more combos than are shown in training.

I'm early, so there's a lot of time for it to get better, but so far it's not for me. It's a pretty nice looking game, and it plays and controls smoothly. Obviously has a lot of content and extensive crafting and upgrades. Story and dialog are dog shit. I'm general not into grind loot games, so I'll see where it takes me.

Man the framerate was all over the place on the X and the clunky movement of the player when attacking did not help. I also don't like the idea of a time limit for a hunt, takes away the fun of exploring and appreciating the world. This whole thing sure feels different than what I was expecting.

Your supposed to be completing the mission, not exploring, or atleast that's been the formula for a long time now. Maybe it would be better without a time limit, but they havent done it yet. I haven't played a Monster hunter game yet outside of the beta but i know how they work after dumping about 400 hours into Toukiden just to get a feel for it a few years ago. Its literally exactly the same in most ways, but i will admit Monster Hunter World is a lot more open and the scale is much bigger which is nice.

capcom has had the genius idea for a while now to only put out a wobbly uncapped FPS for their monster hunter games without any regard to stability of performance. With a simple 30fps vsynch lock they could fix the problem for base PS4, Pro and X all at once in terms of smoothness, but they refuse to do it. How do you get a twitter chain going to force the issue

Wait for a discount. I'm also still not convinced with the main story quality.

From the reviews I watched it looks awkward. Like the hero should be yelling or something but just go mute instead. The scenes also less amazing than the open world battle

Your supposed to be completing the mission, not exploring, or atleast that's been the formula for a long time now. Maybe it would be better without a time limit, but they havent done it yet. I haven't played a Monster hunter game yet outside of the beta but i know how they work after dumping about 400 hours into Toukiden just to get a feel for it a few years ago. Its literally exactly the same in most ways, but i will admit Monster Hunter World is a lot more open and the scale is much bigger which is nice.

capcom has had the genius idea for a while now to only put out a wobbly uncapped FPS for their monster hunter games without any regard to stability of performance. With a simple 30fps vsynch lock they could fix the problem for base PS4, Pro and X all at once in terms of smoothness, but they refuse to do it. How do you get a twitter chain going to force the issue
I am so glad they didn't do that, particularly on Pro.

I am so glad they didn't do that, particularly on Pro.

??? You do realize there is a difference between the performance mode on pro and what i am talking about? there is nothing to gain outside of judder and garbage controller response from jumping from 30 to 35, to 37 fps in every other mode, or on base hardware where it will go from 30 to 28 to 35 to 38 to 26 to 31 and eveything in between

It actually makes the game perform and feel worse than if there will just simple fps drops from below 30fps

Previous MH were not only more accessible, they were more often uselessly frustrating. They simplified the idem management, but at the same time added systems elsewhere, made the exploration interesting etc.

You are literally the only person I've heard say this. Everyone I know and watch states that this is the most accessible Monster Hunter ever. There are so many changes that they have made to make it more accessible.

The most notable one that I've seen is that even very rare materials are really not all that rare anymore. Gems that used to take a long time to farm, can now easily be gotten in a few kills. I have yet to see anyone have to grind a monster more than 10-15 times in order to make a full set of armor + weapon. In past games it was fairly common to see people take way more than 20 kills in order to get a full set sometimes.

Additionally, not having to tag a creature anymore to track it makes this far more accessible to new people. Yes, now you have to gather tracking points in mission, but that's easy to do while hunting for the monster anyway, versus selecting an item and then hitting the mob with the item. And it doesn't wear off over time like the previous method which required you to refresh the tracking from time to time.

Overall, I think these are great changes to the game and open it up to more people by making it a little less grindy, a little more convenient and a lot less annoying WRT item management. That said, there's still a lot of items to manage.

It's unfortunate that I sometimes hear comments from people that are along the lines of, "Capcom wants to sell MH more outside of Japan so they dumbed down some aspects of the game." I don't see the game as having been dumbed down, it's still pretty complex for a boss battler (breaking/cutting body parts for better chances at rare drops, capturing mechanic, etc.). They've just removed some of the more annoying aspects of previous games and reduced the grind a bit.

Regards,
SB

You are literally the only person I've heard say this. Everyone I know and watch states that this is the most accessible Monster Hunter ever. There are so many changes that they have made to make it more accessible.

The most notable one that I've seen is that even very rare materials are really not all that rare anymore. Gems that used to take a long time to farm, can now easily be gotten in a few kills. I have yet to see anyone have to grind a monster more than 10-15 times in order to make a full set of armor + weapon. In past games it was fairly common to see people take way more than 20 kills in order to get a full set sometimes.

Additionally, not having to tag a creature anymore to track it makes this far more accessible to new people. Yes, now you have to gather tracking points in mission, but that's easy to do while hunting for the monster anyway, versus selecting an item and then hitting the mob with the item. And it doesn't wear off over time like the previous method which required you to refresh the tracking from time to time.

Overall, I think these are great changes to the game and open it up to more people by making it a little less grindy, a little more convenient and a lot less annoying WRT item management. That said, there's still a lot of items to manage.

It's unfortunate that I sometimes hear comments from people that are along the lines of, "Capcom wants to sell MH more outside of Japan so they dumbed down some aspects of the game." I don't see the game as having been dumbed down, it's still pretty complex for a boss battler (breaking/cutting body parts for better chances at rare drops, capturing mechanic, etc.). They've just removed some of the more annoying aspects of previous games and reduced the grind a bit.

Regards,
SB
Sorry I meant
Previous MH were not only less accessible, they were more often uselessly frustrating.

We actually agree here.

So far for every minute that is fun, there is another two that is frustrating. I'm still trying to figure things out, so much to learn. I just don't like chasing monster around for twenty minutes and then having the quest fail and stating over and over and over...

So far for every minute that is fun, there is another two that is frustrating. I'm still trying to figure things out, so much to learn. I just don't like chasing monster around for twenty minutes and then having the quest fail and stating over and over and over...
If you fail too much it clearly means you are not prepared enough. Is your weapon suited for the quest and most importantly your playstyle? You know you can change weapons during the same quest in the base camp.

Are you weapon and gear upgraded enough ? Doing investigations is a way good to grind and loot useful things while discovering things you'd need later.

If you fail too much it clearly means you are not prepared enough. Is your weapon suited for the quest and most importantly your playstyle? You know you can change weapons during the same quest in the base camp.

Are you weapon and gear upgraded enough ? Doing investigations is a way good to grind and loot useful things while discovering things you'd need later.

I've tried 2/3 of the weapons. I'm not the one failing though, the team members who drop in are dying and making the quest fail. I guess I should do it alone? I think my armor is not leveled up, but the weapons are always level 2 and I can't afford to level them further since I have not settled on one. Why is the game easy and then all of a sudden impossible? I never failed anything else and now I've failed a dozen times it seems.

I've tried 2/3 of the weapons. I'm not the one failing though, the team members who drop in are dying and making the quest fail. I guess I should do it alone? I think my armor is not leveled up, but the weapons are always level 2 and I can't afford to level them further since I have not settled on one. Why is the game easy and then all of a sudden impossible? I never failed anything else and now I've failed a dozen times it seems.
You answered your own question:
I think my armor is not leveled up
This is still Monster Hunter, combat against bigger monsters is not easier. At some point you really need to level up not only your weapon, also all your armors and your pet too. You allies also need to be decently leveled up.

You can't wait to have the best suit in the game before leveling it up. You constantly need to level up what you currently wear until you are strong enough for the current monster you fight against.

Grinding strategy can shorten the grind, but this is a RPG with those rules:

weapon level + gear level = character level

Back