Monster Hunter World [XO, PS4, PC]

Have you ever played Monster Hunter before ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters

Globalisateur

Globby
Legend
Veteran
Supporter
On January 26th of this year Monster Hunter World will be unleashed to the world !

The franchise is finally back on Playstation and Xbox (and later PC, release date unknown yet) after a long hiatus because of a Nintendo exclusivity (Wii, 3DS, WiiU). Developed by Capcom, according to the devs this game could actually be called Monster Hunter 5.

Who doesn't want to be a hunter ? Who doesn't want to explore a big and seamless, with no loading, semi-open world ?

As a true hunter, there is no XP and no progression talent system. Your only way to advance and kill bigger and bigger monsters is to grind stuff in order to build better gears and weapons.

In order to grind your way up to the bigger monsters (like some kind of T-Rex) and dragons you'll need to prepare every hunt using varied potions, traps and others tools in order to effectively hunt and kill (or capture) your preys.

But if you really are serious about killing the bigger monsters, like the Rathalos Dragon, then you'll need help by playing online with friends.

But most importantly: Hone your weapon before every hunt !

MonsterHunter-Rathalos.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the description @Globalisateur I never knew what it was about. And while intriguing, if it requires online then that sucks. Unfortunately not for me even if it sounds kinda cool.

Thanks for the description @Globalisateur I never knew what it was about. And while intriguing, if it requires online then that sucks. Unfortunately not for me even if it sounds kinda cool.
You can play the game offline with no problem. Apparently the single player mode is quite meaty.

It looks really nice and could be some interesting gameplay. I'm really not a fan of JRPG massive oversize weapons though, really annoys me for some reason.

Never played any of the entries in the series but always heard good things about it, is it hard af like Soul games? MH World looks pretty good visually and I love slaying giant monsters, but if the learning curve is too deep for a mainstream peasant like me I might pass up. Need some kaiju actions to tie me over till April 20th :).

It looks really nice and could be some interesting gameplay. I'm really not a fan of JRPG massive oversize weapons though, really annoys me for some reason.
There are smaller and more manageable weapons.

Never played any of the entries in the series but always heard good things about it, is it hard af like Soul games? MH World looks pretty good visually and I love slaying giant monsters, but if the learning curve is too deep for a mainstream peasant like me I might pass up. Need some kaiju actions to tie me over till April 20th :).
I'd say it's easier than souls games. This is is the most accessible MH.

It got great reviews ! Metacritic currently at 91.

Essentiel from Eurogamer !

Monster Hunter opens up for the most accessible, most detailed and most magnificent entry yet.

About being able to play the game Solo (even bigger monsters):

You can happily play through Monster Hunter World completely solo - indeed, some of the top players insist on doing so - but the four player co-op is most definitely where the most fun is to be had.

Last edited:
We need a VR version of this! Common Capcom you gave us RE7 VR already! Many of the best moments in Skyrim VR are when I'm hunting dragons!

Actually thinking about getting this...and I barely was aware of the game prior to a few days ago, and I rarely buy games!

People are playing today, is it the usual buy the expensive edition to play early?

Also odd that it's not out on PC.

It's a beauty ! :LOL:

zVt0fMM.jpg

Can't play cause I am doing the most important thing first. Restoring P.T. :yep2:

When you've had it running Monster Hunter for a while, please could you report back on the sound levels?

I'd quite like a Pro, but I'm spooked by the prospect of another OG PS4/industrial threshing machine.

what are first impressions like folks? I guess the MP part of it is enticing.

When you've had it running Monster Hunter for a while, please could you report back on the sound levels?

I'd quite like a Pro, but I'm spooked by the prospect of another OG PS4/industrial threshing machine.
It's quieter than both my previous launch PS4 and PS3 super slim. With MHW (and testing with the usual methodology to test the noise) the fan ramps up, but for now it doesn't make the same jet engine high pitched noise. But It's clearly not silent. The loudest is in fact the Bluray drive. Hopefully all my others games are digital.

what are first impressions like folks? I guess the MP part of it is enticing.
The game is a joy to play. (compared to Monster Hunter Tri on Wii.). it's like they removed all those useless nuisances (tens of them) the previous game had. They also added some depth to the RPG aspect and a slight emphasis on exploration (discovering new monsters is interesting this time).

I didn't try the online aspect yet. And you really don't need online for this game.

The character is very responsive, the camera is perfect, exactly how I want it, very snappy. The unlocked fps is great for this game as it dramatically improves temporal resolution and input lag. But generally it's a game with low input lag very similar to Bloodborne actually and very different than for instance Assassin's creed games and The Witcher 3.

I love how the game looks. It maybe not the best looking game out there, but it's still beautiful to look at, sense of scale is great, there are tons of effects and living things, in the end the world looks very alive, very immersive..and the monsters are awesome !

The character is very responsive, the camera is perfect, exactly how I want it, very snappy. The unlocked fps is great for this game as it dramatically improves temporal resolution and input lag. But generally it's a game with low input lag very similar to Bloodborne actually and very different than for instance Assassin's creed games and The Witcher 3.
how would you describe the combat? I can watch, but it's not the same as pushing the buttons themselves

Watching a lot of streams so far, and here are some observations.
  • Runs good on PS4-P, some frame rate issues on PS4 (Jesse Cox almost died just now because the framerate in game tanked for some reason).
    • He uses a hardware capture card for streaming, so it's not due to streaming the game on PS4.
  • It is FAR more accessible than previous Monster Hunters.
    • For example, weapon stones are now unlimited and you just have them. Mining picks are unlimited.
    • Movement seems to be more fluid than past MH games.
  • Game looks gorgeous. Only 26 days into the year, but so far it's my game of the year for graphics. :p
  • It's the same grind. So that's good and bad. Great if you like the gameplay loop, bad if you don't.
  • Story just like before is just a thin story leading up to when the game really begins (the grind to kill monsters to get drops to make and upgrade gear to kill tougher monsters to get drops to make and upgrade gear to kill tougher monsters...etc.)
In Short a slightly simplified (item management simplified) Monster Hunter that looks gorgeous and seems to play really well.

how would you describe the combat? I can watch, but it's not the same as pushing the buttons themselves

It's not Dark Souls, but if you've ever played a Dark Souls game the combat is sorta kinda like that. It's the same thing where you have to stop moving to attack. But the combat is a bit faster paced and attacks are more varied.

Regards,
SB

Back