Xbox Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate now Includes EA Play! [XGP, GamePass]

The issue for me with these services, well besides just time or compelling content, is the crazy game download sizes against my 250GB cap...

I can get unlimited cap (+400mb speed) for another $20/month, but then that's a whole lot more expense kind of defeating the purpose!

I've used EA access a few times already as a "rental". Including this time for the ten hour trial of Battlefront 2 (I'll redbox BF2 eventually, but I wanted to check out BF2 on my new X1X now dangit, and I wasn't going to buy the $80 edition to play it the 14th). Although last time I had some hassles canceling. We'll see how it goes this time.

These services seem to provide pretty crazy value though if you have a lot of free time and really like gaming and are a gaming generalist. The way EA (I assume gamepass in some fashion) does it where it also gives discounts toward games purchases, (arguably "paying for itself" pretty easily) is even better. I would hate to be gamefly. They are still around somehow and still advertise on Cannata's podcast, which always boggles me when I hear it. Mostly these services dont necessarily fit me though. Except as a rental when I see something I want to beat the campaign for cheap on (like Titanfall 2 on EA access recently).

There is a discount through GamePass too. It is 10% DLC discount and 20% game purchase discounts (if you want to own the game after your game pass expire).

Xbox Games Pass will now have all Gears of War titles and the $1 special for the first month is good until November 27th (just remember to turn off auto-renew).

https://news.xbox.com/2017/11/21/xbox-game-pass-december-2017-update/

In addition to over 100 great games already included in your Xbox Game Pass membership, we’re excited to share the addition of yet another seven games starting December 1. Titles including Gears of War 4, Darksiders: Warmastered Edition, Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter and more! Plus, tune in to Mixer on December 1 and watch our favorite streamers get hands-on with the latest additions to the Xbox Game Pass catalog

1. Gears of War 4
  2. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
  3. Sharlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
  4. This War of Mine: The Little Ones
  5. Casey Powell Lacrosse 16
  6. Mega Man 10
  7. Mass Effect

Nice, some good stuff on there. This War of Mine is a very underrated survival strategy game, although the story itself can be fairly depressing. Maybe more people will finally get to try this gem if it's in the pass.

Regards,
SB

NBA 2K16 is being removed from Xbox Games Pass on December 31, 2017 and there will be 10 new games added January 1, 2018.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2017/12/21/xbox-game-pass-update-january-2017/

At Xbox Game Pass, more is better, and to that note, we’re kicking off 2018 by adding 10 titles to the catalog! In addition to the over 100 great games already included in your Xbox Game Pass membership, you can look forward to playing NBA Playgrounds, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Devil May Cry 4 SE, Xbox Original Fuzion Frenzy, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Deadlight: Director’s Cut, Zoo Tycoon, WRC 5: World Rally Championships, Bayonetta, and Tecmo Bowl Throwback are all available January 1.

In addition to the great catalog additions coming January 1, from December 21 to January 4, new members can take advantage of a special, limited-time introductory offer and join Xbox Game Pass for $1! That’s unlimited access to over 100 great games on Xbox One for just $1.

I don't think MS cares if I ctrl+c ctrl+v? right (formatting is mine)
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/01...nds/?ocid=XGP_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_1.23.1

When we launched Xbox Game Pass in June 2017, we knew we wanted to craft a service with gamers in mind. That meant a diverse, expanding library of over 100 games and counting, matched with one monthly price and unlimited access to download and play full-fidelity experiences.

We’ve been blown away by the incredible response. Following launch, we heard from fans around the world who wanted Xbox Game Pass in their country. In September, we expanded globally and Xbox Game Pass is now available to fans in 40 countries. We’ve also continued to expand the catalog with new games added to the Xbox Game Pass library every month, so there is always something new to play.

We know our fans value having a variety of games to play at a low monthly price. We’ve also heard from fans that the ability to play new blockbuster games in Xbox Game Pass is important. So we’ve continued to explore new ideas to make this possible.

Today, we’re excited to announce plans for a major expansion to Xbox Game Pass that underscores our commitment to deliver our fans the ultimate gaming subscription service.

Moving forward, we plan to release all new Xbox One exclusive games from Microsoft Studios into Xbox Game Pass on the same date as their global release. This means that when Sea of Thieves launches on March 20, it will be included in Xbox Game Pass to all members.

This plan to bring new games timed with their global release into Xbox Game Pass not only includes announced titles like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 but future unannounced games from Microsoft Studios including new iterations of our biggest Xbox One exclusive franchises such as Halo, Forza and Gears of War, on the same day they launch.

Our fans have also asked for more choice in the subscription offerings available for Xbox Game Pass. As part of today’s library expansion, we are also pleased to announce that we are working closely with our retail partners, such as GameStop, to offer a 6-month Xbox Game Pass subscription card for those fans who look for a variety of ways to purchase and enjoy new games and services. The 6-month Xbox Game Pass subscription card will be available at select retail partners for $59.99 beginning March 20. By working closely with retail partners, Xbox Game Pass will have valuable ambassadors in popular destinations for gamers to discover new and exciting games and enjoy community.

With the addition of more great games, new blockbuster releases and a new subscription offer, we are giving fans more choice and value in how they discover and enjoy games – purchase games for their permanent library or play through Xbox Game Pass for one low price.

We’ve only scratched the surface of the opportunity this new model brings to the industry and what we can deliver to our fans. We firmly believe Xbox Game Pass will be a catalyst to create new opportunities for game developers and publishers to innovate in the way games are developed and delivered, leading to entirely new ways to play. (yea... lol, go subscription and remove the loot boxes and DLC)

We’re truly humbled by the incredible response we’ve received to date for Xbox Game Pass, and we look forward to offering an unprecedented choice and value with Xbox Game Pass this spring and beyond.

I'm sure they're going to announce that at E3 if this is sucessful.
I'd switch over. I don't care for GwG

The industry is struggling. Subscription service is a strong way to mitigate against huge losses. It's about the overall value of the entire package, and not everything riding on a single title. The core strength of it is the package as a whole. Someone is going to find a game they like and they can opt out at any time and buy their game of choice at 20% off.

Yeah, GwG has had maybe one or two titles at best that I particularly bothered to play through.

All Microsoft Studios exclusives will now be available on Xbox Game Pass on the day of their release!

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/01...nds/?ocid=XGP_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_1.23.1

This is pretty crazy.

STILL, I dont think I will sub. If anything I might use it like I sometimes do EA access, when a game comes out on the service i want, I will sub for one month, complete that game, then unsub (obviously for campaigns and such moreso than GAAS).

This works better on $5 EA access than $11 Gamespass anyway. $5 is the price of a rental, except that instead of 1-3 days you get the game for up to 30 days. Which makes it a great deal.

The problem I've found with this sub/unsub strategy is, and I put this on MS, I've found their unsubbing website to be buggy (often times doesn't work for me unless I switch from Chrome, the most popular browser in the world, to Edge) and unreliable. And unless I'm missing something, you cannot unsub directly from your console either. I believe at least twice I've been charged another (2nd) month of EA access when I've already canceled. And btw all sub services go through MS website so it's not on EA. It's pretty infuriating.

I'm surprised how aggressive a move this is by MS and I wonder if they are shooting themselves in the foot with new game sales. Well, I imagine they ran all those spreadsheets and decided it works. Or, maybe they are just dumb LOL, certainly corporations can be dumb.

Well, the excuses can be ready now in NPD time. "Halo 6 didn't sell as good as expected because everybody got it on gamespass!" LOL.

A 12 month Xbox Games Pass is only 29,000 Bing Rewards credits, the same as 12 month Xbox Live. So in 1 years time you can almost get 2 full years of each for free from Bing!

I guess I should cancel my Sea of Thieves preorder, now that its included in the service I already have (free from Bing!)

Update, January 23, 2018: We asked Microsoft if this meant that upcoming Microsoft Studios would be permanently included as part of Xbox Game Pass, to which they replied that all games would continue to cycle in and out of the pool of available titles. While that didn't answer my question directly, it sounds as though Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, etc, might only be available in Game Pass for a limited time, before they become available to purchase permanently at a discount. We've asked for further clarification, but Microsoft said that was all they had to share at this time.
https://www.windowscentral.com/all-microsoft-studios-games-will-launch-xbox-game-pass-moving-forward

Imagine: You start to play Sea of Thieves, but Microsoft removes the game after one month. But you to play it! You have to buy it.

Very important differentiator that. We'll have to see how long they're in there, whether for just a month or for 6.

So for the price of 2 games, I get unlimited access to their full library all year including new releases? Works for me.

Forget the older games and treat those as nice to have. The easy math is this: if there are 2 MS exclusives you were planning to buy this year digitally, you might as well get the game pass and have access to a larger library along the way.

It's an aggressive move and if anything, puts pressure on EA with their EA Access offering. It also sets a new baseline for Sony, Nintendo and other publishers wanting to deliver a subscription service.

Back