CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

With Amazon, I can confirm that it can happen that you aren't allowed to make a new order with the quantities you've not been allowed to order in the previous one.

Those new amd chips with vega in them might be really nice for mining

I assume you mean either the AMD APUs or the new Intel-Vega CPUs? I think the gist is they run around the speed of a 1050 which is what ~ RX570 levels? Might be very good depending upon pricing.

So much ...

... cringe
Would have been more impressive with an Epyc and 120 GPUs.

I assume you mean either the AMD APUs or the new Intel-Vega CPUs? I think the gist is they run around the speed of a 1050 which is what ~ RX570 levels? Might be very good depending upon pricing.
I think he means the Intel chips. Without the HBM2, the Ravens would be bandwidth starved rather quickly. The Intel variant could run CPU and GPU mining combinations simultaneously, but scaling would seem difficult and then cost. Possibly a rack of NUCs? Raven APU only makes sense if a coin has a huge DAG that won't fit in conventional VRAM.

So you can find RX 560s, but where the heck are you going to find a good mining motherboard? They're all gone. That means likely only 4-5 GPUs per rig so for an 8 GPU rig you'll need 2x everything :(

So you can find RX 560s, but where the heck are you going to find a good mining motherboard? They're all gone. That means likely only 4-5 GPUs per rig so for an 8 GPU rig you'll need 2x everything :(
In theory an institutional miner would be using MXGPU in a blade server with a backplane. Just a question if anyone scaled a chasis that large. A single PCIe lane per card if a rather odd configuration, except for mining. May cost a bit for a pro mining operation demanding more reliability, but any company exploring block chain probably doesn't want the open GPU cable mess.

either set really.

The amd APUs are $100 and $160 that's pretty cheap and can add mhash to your erthium rig

What if gpu prices remain this high or go higher, and big business decide to put real manpower and resources into figuring out how to jailbreak Xbox One X and future console system turning the 6tflop system into a mining device. Instead of fragmented small amateur groups in their spare time tinkering with trying to break these system open, you have multimillion dollar endevours of large, very dedicated, very talented teams of software and hardware engineers dedicated to cracking the system, and turning it into a mining device.

Consoles are [often] the only high performance computing devices without [well... hardly any] retail and manufacturer markup.

Last edited:
I love this idea... Samsung built a miner with old cellphones. Old Xboxes would trounce phones.

If a console is cheap, the creator expects to make money on games. One can imagine Microsoft is working hard on securing XBO from mining.

Well, my hope is that the two manufacturers will get better margins allowing them to increase their R & D buget

Whishful thinking?

I wonder what the amazon tablets get in hash rate . They drop down to $20 or $30 bucks on some sales
Just need some coin mining ASICs in Echos and they can mine while they spy on you.

In trying to untangle the enigma that is video card supplies, one of the stories I'm hearing is that board vendors are getting fewer GPUs, despite the fact that production hasn't been cut.
Do those vendors include Apple or Intel?

Back