New rendering technologies for Unity (teaser video included)

I think short and weird is good. The Adam demo has had a couple of sequels by the District 9 director but I don't think they're as good as the original.

They really announced that they use the ability that artists can click shaders together. This produces an enormously unoptimized code and thousands of different shaders. AMD has big difficulties with state changes and in SIGGRAPH slides of Destiny 2 the developers also say that they are using thousands of shaders per frame which is an disaster on the consoles and AMD GPUs. Thats why it is 30fps on consoles.

Last edited:
They really announced that they use the ability that artists can click shaders together. This produces an enormously unoptimized code and thousands of different shaders. AMD has big difficulties with state changes and in SIGGRAPH slides of Destiny 2 the developers also say that they are using thousands of shaders per frame which is an disaster on the consoles and AMD GPUs. Thats why it is 30fps on consoles.
whoa. interesting. Can you link some sources? I think many of us would like to read through this one.

I think having node graphs for graphics like shaders is a great idea for a package like Unity. It means more people can make games, not just serious coders.

An example of a custom rendering pipeline:

https://github.com/keijiro/Retro3DPipeline

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f5a7a30676752782e676966

It seems like you created a conclusion that isn't in the presentation. I read all of the nearly 300 slides and notes yet saw no mention of AMD having big difficulties with state changes. The only thing close was a statement that Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't support bindless so they didn't handle the state/shader permutations as well as newer hardware. I'm paraphrasing.

I've not said that's written there but that they use thousands of shaders per frame. In the opinion of some engine programmers NVIDIA can handle such bad workloads faster by summarizing work across draw-call boundaries better, using a smaller granularity of thread groups and having more shaders in flight at the same time.

By calling it a disaster you certainly implied something about the presentation and I was wondering what data prompted this conclusion. It was still interesting to read the presentation, but please be more clear in the future. Nothing about the methods used in Destiny is a disaster for AMD.

I also don't see how Nvidia can summarize work across draw call boundaries when the shader changes (a primary talking point in the presentation). They are a SIMT architecture. I have a feeling you're conflating separate issues.

very much liked the video of the girl under the tree and the new technologies they are going to use ,although they require more processing power. Soon I am going to get into Unity, and learn about AI and stuff, AI and videogames are what I like the most in computer science.
Seems like a good time to jump in with all the new stuff they got there: ECS, the jobs system, the new rendering pipeline (with the material graph), machine learning...

Seems like a good time to jump in with all the new stuff they got there: ECS, the jobs system, the new rendering pipeline (with the material graph), machine learning...
yes, an excellent time. Plus I am learning programming and purchased a lot of books -typical programming books-, plus some Unity books, Unity + AI books, one for AI in general -not just Unity related-.., and the oldest book is from september 2017, the most recent one, a Unity + AI book, was published this month and one of the books is yet to be published, so I try to keep up with the times.

yes, an excellent time. Plus I am learning programming and purchased a lot of books -typical programming books-, plus some Unity books, Unity + AI books, one for AI in general -not just Unity related-.., and the oldest book is from september 2017, the most recent one, a Unity + AI book, was published this month and one of the books is yet to be published, so I try to keep up with the times.
Heh, seems like you're really going all in.

So apparently the demo was run on a gtx 980, I suppose a game like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter or Hell Blade would be doable with those graphics? A full fledged open world game might be too much to ask.

Back