What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of a cross save feature was puzzling and annoying indeed. It was the same with Salt and Sanctuary (although gameplay was rather shoddy on the Vita so you probably wouldn't wanna play it on that thing anyways).

Tomb Raider: Underworld. Still good ol' Lara. ^_^

I liked the underwater part so much! I was "woooooooow, how beautiful, look at that lighting on Lara's b... body". I know, this game is a bit old and I've seen better graphics, but I'm a bit of a child when it comes to Tomb Raider. :D

I felt truly sorry about the poor kraken! :(

Last edited:
Bought prey in the sale, I was very sceptical but also wanted to support devs that produce no MTx bullshit games. Is imo identical to bioshock 1. I did enjoy it for a couple of hours, but I always have the same issues in those type of games: I ran out of ammo! Ha ha ha, I had my fun out of it but right now don’t see me finish it.

Bought Divinity in the sale as well, was curious since a long time. The game is fantastic made, high quality and polish it seems to me. It had coop as well. However, as I feared from the beginning, such type of games are to slow paced for me. Not only the round based fighting, but the exploration and dialogue etc. I can understand why someone might enjoy this and similar games though. Maybe one day I have more patience and the right mood.

Tried Monster Hunter Beta again and finally it clicked with me...I pre-ordered the game.

I thought Prey was excellent, but then I wasn't at all bothered by the whole "it isn't a true sequel" issue. You do release that you can simply fabricate more ammo in the game though?

Yep, I know...without self fabricating them, I would have run out of ammo when fighting the first enemy :D

I don't bother the not real sequel "problem" myself...it is a cool game.

For me personally, the story somehow is to close to Bioshock and that is why I am not so fully into it. Maybe there is a crazy twist at the end, I don't forsee right now (I am about 11h in)...but even with a twist, the story is ok to me, but doesn't make me finish it right now.

For instance Bioshock infinite had a gorgeous story. Made the game GOTY material for me and I finished the game and even started to spend lots of time reading up on interpretations and so on.

Edit: the only technical issue I have, which gets annoying now after 11h is the loading times...they are really really long (PS4 pro) and due to whatever reason you get a loading screen with a progression bar, when this bar is full, you switch to the second loading screen...before pressing X to continue. Meh.

I can barely remember Prey's story to be honest. It had very little effect on my enjoyment of the game. It was very similar to Breath of the Wild (and also Dishonored) in that regard. I was hooked by the world design and all the gameplay systems at its core.

Finally finished Wolfenstein: New Order, after taking the longest break from it because of the annoying introduction to the game. I don't enjoy "cinematic" games where there's this event you HAVE to execute a certain way in a certain amount of time or else fail (IE: die), so when I had to dive under the huge mechanical dog after crashing the aircraft on the very first mission I had enough and noped outta there.

I won't say that was a mistake, but the game is actually quite enjoyable once you get into it. All of the Nazi characters are comicbook-level villains, and not the least bit normal or sensible or realistic; I'd have to say I both understand why, and dock some points from the game because of it, because while comically evil villains are satisfying to vanquish and may be less controversial for a shitty, shitty corporation like Bethesda to make a game about, the original Nazis were real people, who did real, horrible things, and reducing them this way to caricatures of utter evil diminishes that in a way.

Still, it was an enjoyable game, if you ignore the pulpiest aspects of it (the entire Nazi moon base level, for example :LOL:), generally, apart from the boss fights which were stupid. You have a robot the size of a goddamn building, and first you shoot it in the eye (because like, of course you do), and then you shoot its missile launchers - okay... Sure. And then you shoot it up the ass. Attack its weak point for massive damage! *sigh*

The other bosses weren't any more fun them either btw. But I bought this game during a sale, so it's OK. It was very good money to fun ratio that way, so I can't really complain. And the environments look great, thanks to megatexture/id Tech 5 engine. Had some performance issues though, not sure why. Framerate jerked a lot in many places for no particular reason. Even when it ran full framerate it didn't stress my PC; GPU-Z reported core clock never exceeded 650MHz or so...and I have 1440P monitor. :p

Also, some texture issues when turning around quickly, even if I had seen that particular surface previously. Feels odd, when GPU has 8GB texture memory. Surely they could have loaded all textures around me and keep them in GPU memory while I am in the vicinity, and not unload them simply because I turn my back to that particular surface. *shrug* Oh well.

Will move on to Old Blood now, then New Colossus finally, after having bought it months ago now.

What I liked about the new Wolfenstein were all the environments that I realized I mostly missed out on because I was frantically fighting. Posters, letters, newspaper headlines, music, items - time typical with a German twist.

While I agree with the villainous nazis being absurd caricatures, there were occasions - letters home for instance, where the German soldiers were portrayed as human. But it was rare and far between - you don’t want any moral ambiguity as you slaughter family fathers and young men writing home to their mothers.

Wanted to try out Wolfenstein Old Blood today, immediately hit the snag where the game never goes above 22fps, and frequently drops even lower than that - I've seen as low as 14fps. Even during the intro video clips and in the menus it runs at the same terrible framerate, so it's clearly not a hardware deficiency. Some casual web sleuthing shows this isn't an unheard of problem - a bunch of threads on Steam forums, other forums as well, for both AMD and Nvidia users, so it's not one vendor having a driver issue. Lots of supposed fixes, none of which works for me, and of course NONE which involve goddamn Bethesda!

Bethsoft... worst piece of shit publisher in PC marketspace. Absolutely zero morals, ethics or concern for their own paying customers. Fucking bunch of greedy, uncaring evil bastards they are. Calling them worthless mangy dogs would be an insult to mangy dogs everywhere.

You think I exaggerate? I can assure you I am not. Been buying their games since Morrowind, stupid as I am, so I'm well versed in their pattern of still sucking money out of people after having abandoned their own titles with gamebreaking bugs still present in them. Morrowind's issues were legio, and many never fixed, including stuff like randomly falling through the world and quests bugging out making the game unplayable. Would installing an expansion which sics almost unbeatable assassins on you as a level 1 player when you sleep count as a bug, or is it just faulty game design and nonexistent quality control?

Oblivion I did not play much, but there was the graphical effects that were shown off before release and then pulled for no stated reason. Fallout 3 I did not play (much), but a mate of mine sunk 100+ hours into it and can talk literally for hours about all the crazy shit he encountered - including tons of core meltdown-level bugs which Beth is well aware of but still remain in the game to this day. Several of these games have an 'unofficial community patch' which fixes many but not all problems, but as installing it required nuking your existing save files I never bothered with any of that.

Fallout New Vegas I bought but never played because I never finished the previous game. Same mate played that one too a lot but tossed it in frustration due to the insane amount of game-corrupting bugs which would render the game unplayable.

Skyrim I spent 80+ hours in and my mate over 100 - encountered loads of bugs, and again, Beth knows all about them and does absolutely fuckall about it. As you know, they even re-issued a HD updated version the other year with the very same bugs still in there, so there's another community patch for it, separate from the original version's... *sigh*

Fallout 4 I refused to buy because I knew it would be a bug-ridden piece of shit, and it was, and they're not fixing it. Community patch to the rescue again, but it can't fix everything of course since they can't patch the binary itself. Bethsoft is swimming in money after selling multiple millions of multiple games, but spending even a single nickel on patching a bug which the community has found for them and can tell them exactly how to fix? Nope. Not doing it!

Performance in New Order was bad but not so awful that it prevented me from playing, but you can't play a PC action title which constantly runs at less than 23fps, it's not possible. At least N64 FPS games had the terrible framerate built into the design of the game; id Tech 5 is inherently designed to run at 60 and lags something fierce if it doesn't.

Fuck these fucking people. :mad:

My man has been playing Xenoblade 2 in Switch and I have to say, again, I’m shook. It looks absolutely amazing! And also looks like a lot of fun and made with so much love.

I just can’t believe how much detail they can squeeze out of the Switch.

Last edited:
Completely sucked into Divinity Original Sin 2. I haven’t played a PC RPG like this since Dragon Age Origins. Even though it’s been my favorite genre growing up, I just haven’t been able to get into any until this game came along. It’s really fantastic.

I have Dragon Age Origins.(though according to steam I've only played 22mins, so perhaps I should ask for my money back) too much story for me and the graphics were bad.
I have Divinity Original Sin (played 18 hours) pretty decent also too much story for me, a bit too easy, with some of the quests its pretty unclear what you need to do, though I suppose theres some online help definietly worth checking out

LTTP as usual, but...
UWzhLsG.jpg

Such a gorgeous game...

I've been meaning to look at this game franchise for quite some time now. How is the first installment, have you played it?

I have it, I just never played it. It belongs in the pile of games I bought on a steam sale and never played for more then 15 minutes. :)

I think the fact that this one was on so many top 10 lists compelled me to give it a longer shot and now i’m hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back