Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. The sheer amount of high brightness would not only bring it to match the actual intended UHD HDR spec limit "4000 nits", color volume would also be drastically increased as a consequence. Adding a few more individually controllable zones in that already capable Backlight Masterdrive we would reach that Oled blackness level ever so closer but without issues of near black detail loss, burn ins or ABL. I just hop it's still 4k and 3d capable:).

Absolutely agree. Pretty much every 4K HDR blu-ray I’ve played on my ZD9 (most big releases, really) look so much better than what I saw at the cinema, it’s amazing I still actually go to the movies.
There’s some really, really bad screens in London, masquerading as good screens - even the IMAX in Waterloo, I was shocked to see how low res, low contrast and low-everything it was when I watched Justice League there. Never again.
Same for the cinema I choose to see The Last Jedi. Just a huge thing with flat colours, flat lighting, flat coke to go with it and shit pop corn. Not happy!

One of the areas that didn't get a lot of attention was the rollup TV's that LG showed.
That's one thing I'm fairly certain will never take off in a big way, largely because such a screen will never actually stay flat, especially over time. It'll start curling at the edges and sag in the middle, and after repeated cleanings the surface will get scratched up because a soft rollable film will never be particularly resistant to mechanical damage. Also, if you ever roll it back up again you'll be crushing dust that has settled to the rear side of the film into the front side. In short it'll look like absolute ass.

It's because there are hardly any decent HDR capable projectors reaching high enough nits in the cinema. You know ever since the inception of HDR blu rays, I've found at least a whole bunch of them that looked significantly better than their theater counterparts. Pacific Rim, BVS, Wonderwoman, The Revenant, IT and Interstellar are just some of the prominent examples for me. I have to credit to the high brightness of HDR and wide color gamut that really make the pictures pop more, a vastly superior contrast and inkier black. I think the future of cinema experience will be focusing on HDR based projectors as the contents are shot and optimized more toward that high brightness eye popping experience.

Cinema movies can have very bright scenes/highlights but the average picture brightness is normally still much lower. This is already noticeable in SDR when watching movies in comparison to the TV program.

In the dark room the TV program in SDR is already too bright in my opinion. If it gets too bright one will not notice the fine details in dark places in the same frame anymore.

I have only been a few times in a cinema since 2008 because the picture quality is too bad for me.

That's one thing I'm fairly certain will never take off in a big way, largely because such a screen will never actually stay flat, especially over time. It'll start curling at the edges and sag in the middle, and after repeated cleanings the surface will get scratched up because a soft rollable film will never be particularly resistant to mechanical damage. Also, if you ever roll it back up again you'll be crushing dust that has settled to the rear side of the film into the front side. In short it'll look like absolute ass.

Genetleman's bet? $30 donation to B3D upkeep.

I say they'll have ROLED's out for sale in 2020. If they don't make the 2020 date, you win. Anything Dec 31st 2020 or earlier, I win.

Last edited:
I can't see a rollup TV being useful for the vast majority of ppl.
A rollup phone OTOH now that would be a hit

One of the areas that didn't get a lot of attention was the rollup TV's that LG showed.

It's my belief that the next change in buying habit won't come from peak brightness but from the aesthetic and convenience factor of a "TV on demand"

In 3-5 years, the rollable OLED's should be just another SKU. The difference will be around a few key areas of size and convenience that will make them highly desirable.

Size first because there is a logistical problem to having a very large set shipped, delivered and positioned in a typical house. The challenge is further compounded in Europe where smaller homes are the norm. Sending the unit rolled up makes it easier to transport, get through the door and most importantly, you have have a very large screen that doesn't dominate the living room when it's off. That's an important appeal to many people that shouldn't be overlooked. Imagine a 85 or 98inch traditional TV in your room now. Chances are it would dominate the room and when you're not watching TV, it's just a giant black screen taking up a *lot* of space. Now imagine having all that space fully reclaimed as soon as you're done watching the TV. Couple that with families not worrying about kids damaging the unit or the cleaner applying a cleaning detergent and a variety of other issues you solve by having your TV essentially put away when not in use.

The convenience factor is around the form factor lending to varied placement options. For a larger size, why roll up when you can roll down? Reclaim ALL the living room space by ceiling mounting the unit and having the screen come down in a projector like fashion but without the complicated install. So now imagine your living room without even a hint of TV because it's tucked away in a ceiling unit.

I hope LG's continues to work hard to deliver the rollable OLED's and make them commonplace in the coming years. It'll likely replace my current set.

I was just about to mention this when you said LG didn't really show anything noteworthy. Granted, it's true it isn't coming out this year, but it's certainly one of the things I'm greatly looking forward to if they can make it practical.

I really like their Wall TV, but I just wish the electronics for it weren't housed in a soundbar, but in a smaller more compact device instead. They are easy to mount and dismount when not in use. However, storage for it is still a problem, meaning you generally just leave it mounted at all times.

I'm also not sure the rollable prototype they showed is practical. IE rolling upwards. I'd imagine a something that rolled out more like a projection screen would be more feasible, but it would also be less pleasant to view when retracted (the housing just sitting there on the wall.

Staying flat and not curling is easily solved if it's rolled down rather than rolled up. Having the bottom edge suitably weighted with a bar should take care of that. And as long as you don't have a dust storm in your place constantly, having it rolled up whenever not in use should make dust a virtually non-existent problem.

I do wonder about the feasibility of keeping it scratch free. I could see some type of system using microfiber backing and self cleaning. IE, a soft non-abrasive backing which is cleaned whenever the screen is deployed and retracted. Even that will likely wear out, but it should last for quite a long time unless it's rolled out and retracted multiple times (10+, 20+?) every day.

Regards,
Sb

I think a better idea instead of rollable is to have the screen double/appear as a painting/mirror/window to another reality or something like that instead of moving it and some place holders around. I wouldn't be surprised to see one on sale soonish, but I don't really see it as a big deal.

A smaller 20-40" on the go display like that would be nice, but something like a 65"... I think most people will have those semi permanently installed in the future as well.

Last edited:
I'm also not sure the rollable prototype they showed is practical. IE rolling upwards. I'd imagine a something that rolled out more like a projection screen would be more feasible, but it would also be less pleasant to view when retracted (the housing just sitting there on the wall.

Staying flat and not curling is easily solved if it's rolled down rather than rolled up. Having the bottom edge suitably weighted with a bar should take care of that. And as long as you don't have a dust storm in your place constantly, having it rolled up whenever not in use should make dust a virtually non-existent problem.

I do wonder about the feasibility of keeping it scratch free. I could see some type of system using microfiber backing and self cleaning. IE, a soft non-abrasive backing which is cleaned whenever the screen is deployed and retracted. Even that will likely wear out, but it should last for quite a long time unless it's rolled out and retracted multiple times (10+, 20+?) every day.

Regards,
Sb

Yep. A projector-less projector screen. However, I have to admit it's still a tech with limited use or appeal in terms of a screen you can roll up. Super sized products may be viable in work environments or in high end theater room setups, but I think the tech will find wider use for being flexible not rollable.

Combined with touch screen functionality I can see it as a tech that expands the display space of smart watches. All while retaining the flex of a leather or metal band and avoiding something akin to a smart-shackle. LOL.

I think a better idea instead of rollable is to have the screen double/appear as a painting/mirror/window to another reality or something like that instead of moving it and some place holders around. I wouldn't be surprised to see one on sale soonish, but I don't really see it as a big deal.

A smaller 20-40" on the go display like that would be nice, but something like a 65"... I think most people will have those semi permanently installed in the future as well.

https://www.frameyourtv.co.uk/tv-mirror-glass/

I've seen something like this in a posh pub, it looked ok on and off but never saw the transition.

Rollable TVs might open up larger displays to people living in smaller homes, such as apartments in cities where it might be difficult to deliver larger displays.

But large displays already carry a price premium and rollables would carry a premium above that, so it would price a lot of people out of the market.

It's kind of a tech demo. I'm sure LG will try to put out product but maybe not have any more staying power than curved screens.

Yeah kind of a meh CES. For those like me who'd have to upgrade other components, might as well wait until HDMI 2.1 so I wouldn't have to upgrade my AVR twice for instance.

There just isn't enough content in 4K in the US unless you watch a lot of streaming shows or UHD Blu Rays.

The Super Bowl and the Winter Olympics are going to be broadcast within a month and the World Cup later this year. But none of these events are going to be broadcast in 4K in the US.

Maybe next year, though if the new TCL FALD TVs are reasonable in price, I might jump in for the heck of it.

There just isn't enough content in 4K in the US unless you watch a lot of streaming shows or UHD Blu Rays.

The Super Bowl and the Winter Olympics are going to be broadcast within a month and the World Cup later this year. But none of these events are going to be broadcast in 4K in the US.

Well, there is quite a lot of 4K (and HDR) content around. You’re just not going to get it from broadcasts any time soon. I might be one of the very few ones buying quite a lot of UHD discs, but even if you don’t get into that, you’d really have to start streaming from somewhere. At least Netflix!

I've sampled some Netflix. It's okay but I'd like to see HBO and Showtime offer 4K content. And live sports would be huge, as it was in getting HDTV into millions of homes.

Like EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga matches in 4K?

EPL and La Liga. They do not have the Bundesliga license. I have not been able to check out the quality, but according to people on forums it looks better than the 1080p streams. I haven't seen any comparisons to the 4K broadcasts.

Well, if it is one thing Sony knows, it's how to A: fuck up, and B: fuck their own customers. They've got a lot of experience in both sides of that same coin...

I wonder if perhaps this was meant to be just a preliminary step in DV compat, with USB and HDMI playback to follow later, and some asshat exec blocking the info of that for some (probably petty, asshattish) reason.

Can someone summarize that article? I can't get onto Forbes without disabling my ad blocker.

Nvm, found another source.

I'm sure they will square it away.

AV consumer electronics aren't known for field upgrades so it's not that unexpected.

Plus they announced new models with DV, for instance the 900F series replacing the 900E series.

were they advertised as being dolby vision capable when they were released?

Yes. It was all over their website too, up until the other day when they removed all references to it. (According to an article online)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back