PUBG - PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds [XO, PS4]

@zed it's obvious that you're once again having trouble with definition of words and communicating with others. It's likely because you're from a different location where words have different typical meanings. To translate from your language to what everyone else mostly recognizes, replace your word of "broken" with our word of "buggy".

For a multiplayer game to be broken, it'd have to have problems connecting or having players be unable to play, like the MCC @ launch. Having a poor framerate isn't so much broken as just a performance problem if people are otherwise able to connect and play.

For a multiplayer game to be broken, it'd have to have problems connecting or having players be unable to play, like the MCC @ launch. Having a poor framerate isn't so much broken as just a performance problem if people are otherwise able to connect and play.

The game does have crashing issues and disconnects. Crashes seem to be worse on Xbox One fat/S. Disconnects is tough to gauge, but they do happen. I've only had one crash and haven't had any disconnects, but I know my home network is setup well and my connection is more stable than most . I think the game may stress bad connections, and the netcode is poor as well. Lag seems to be an issue on pc, owing to the terrible tick rate. Multitude of network issues interconnected.

Are you arguing people play it because the media has tricked them into thinking it's good?
No, never said that. Im just saying its amusing the ppl addicted to something that is not that competently made, like I said before its badly made and ppl know it (see user reviews on steam and its low rating), yet at the same time the dichotomy of it being the most played game there :LOL:

@zed it's obvious that you're once again having trouble with definition of words and communicating with others.
Communication - prolly, I do have difficulties explaining things to ppl, I more of a math/logic guy than a wordsmith
definition - If you have a problem with the word BROKEN and this game then take it up with the journalists at polygon.com etc who use it to describe the game, likewise if you have a problem with ppl using the word 'tech' to describe non hardware things eg tech industry, tech support etc then I suspect you've long lost that battle as using tech in that sense is now ubiquitous. though from a search of the words etymology https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=tech&utm_source=searchbar_searchhint shows that using it about hardware wasn't even the origin of the word

People shouldn't be twisting themselves up over the use of 'broken' here. Zed's just using hyperbolic language. That meaning I think fairly obvious as 'very bugged' so just find<>replace 'broken' with 'very bugged' when reading his comments. It's a fairly common vernacular phrase, at least in some parts of the world, to mean substandard rather than unusable.

What PUBG's popularity shows is that people are willing to overlook shortcomings if the overall net experience is positive. This goes for lots of games, like Elder Scrolls games, often with killer bugs but hugely popular because the bits they get right are what people are wanting and enjoying.

Patch #2. 4.4 GB. Downloading now and will report.

https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/138557-xbox-game-preview-patch-notes-2/

Xbox players,

Sincere thanks for your continued feedback, and as usual please direct your thoughts and issues to: https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/forum/178-xbox/

The team will continue to evaluate areas for improvement, whether its client and server optimizations or monitoring the current “Car Meta”. Our second patch is focused on quality of life fixes (weapon recoil for example) as well as trying to resolve some of the stability issues that have been brought to our attention.

We expect to release our next patch at the beginning of the year, but we will monitor player feedback carefully and will address critical items over the holiday break as needed.

Thanks again for your support.

This patch will be live at 1AM PST / 10AM CET / 6PM KST.
Please restart your Xbox after the patch goes live to get the update.

Optimization

• Continued performance optimizations

In-game

• The tuning range for the general sensitivity option has been expanded
  • Weapon recoil reduced across the board (Xbox Only)
  • Team UI will now correctly display voice chat status
  • Additional Localization updates

Bug

• A variety of crash fixes
  • Fixed an issue where casting bar UI remains onscreen when spectating a target who died while using an item from their inventory

See you in-game,

The PUBG Development and Community Team

edit: Seems like another marginal improvement on One X. It still has frame rate issues, for sure, but my general impression was a little bit better, as much as that is unscientific. Was having an easier time with my aim today.

Last edited:
What PUBG's popularity shows is that people are willing to overlook shortcomings if the overall net experience is positive. This goes for lots of games, like Elder Scrolls games, often with killer bugs but hugely popular because the bits they get right are what people are wanting and enjoying.

Yup, some streamers that I like to watch that play PUBG commented in their game of the year awards.

They called PUBG both the best game released for 2017 as well as the most buggy game released for 2017. They called it both the most brilliant game released in 2017, but also the crappiest game (in terms of performance and bugs) released in 2017.

They gave it their game of the year award for 2017 because no other game released in 2017 made them consistently want to continue playing it. But they lamented how frustrating the uneven performance and bugs could be.

That said, they've also mentioned how it has made huge strides WRT to performance and bugs.

When I first started to see streams of it, performance was so bad that people would regularly spam pickup 10's of times in order to try to pick up something off the ground. Rubber banding was so bad, that you'd go to a door and spam the open door key for about 10-20 times then suddenly warp back about 20-30 feet. Run back to the door, rinse and repeat about 5-10 times before the door would open.

And those people still couldn't stop playing because the gameplay loop was so addictive.

PUBG now is a rose garden compared to back then. :D

Regards,
SB

There's been a server patch that has helped with rubber banding quite a bit, though hasn't solved it.

This game has some of the ridiculous quality of the battlefield series, but with a game mode that has much higher stakes.
https://streamable.com/fc2y1

I think one of the things that feels good is if you win, you really know that you accomplished something, because it's hard to win. I'm not sure most people even care about wins/losses in cod/battlefield, because they know ultimately they're only a small part of each win/loss, unless they're playing on an organized team. Funny. Since shooters have moved to larger player counts, and away from free-for-all play, I think they've kind of lost the personal feeling of winning and losing. We all know people largely play shooters for their kill:death ratio now.

First 2018 patch - the 3rd client patch
https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/158530-xbox-game-preview-patch-notes-4/

Xbox players,

Thank you for your enthusiastic feedback and support as we transitioned into 2018.

The team has been working diligently to elevate the overall player experience, as well as listen and react to our community feedback.

Below you will find quality of life fixes, as well as our efforts to resolve known memory crashes, and incremental improvements to performance.

Given the complexity of some of the crashes that have been logged, we know there is still work remaining in order for us to reproduce and address all remaining issues. Crash fixes, like all areas of the game, will be something we continue to improve upon as part of our Xbox Game Preview roadmap.

Gameplay

• Aim acceleration can now be adjusted by players via in-game option
  • Player weapon damage has been increased against vehicles. We will continue to monitor player feedback and telemetry and make further balancing adjustments as needed in future updates
  • FPP Solo matchmaking queue will be made available for NA/EU/and Oceanic servers. We will open other modes within those regions as concurrency allows
  • Fixed an issue that caused indoor lighting and shadows to appear too dark and blueish
  • Analog stick acceleration added while exiting the plane and while parachuting

Optimization

• PhysX performance enhancements
  • Server FPS slightly increased
  • Client FPS slightly increased
  • Some VFX received slight optimizations

Option

• Music on/off option added

Bug fixes

• Addressed a number of known crashes
  • Fixed a UI issue that occurred when multiple players attempted to loot from the same source

See you in-game,

I took a look really quickly, and turning aim acceleration off makes aiming much much smoother. Looking forward to trying a round tonight.

Played a few rounds. Still not 100% pleased with the aiming, but it's getting close. The new aim acceleration setting is a bit weird. Even at 0, aim acceleration is not turned completely off. So far, high sensitivity and 0 aim acceleration feels best. Some people are saying 10 aim accel, but I think it's shit. Maybe with very low sensitivity? I don't know. Anyway, the shooting is starting to feel pretty decent.

Frame rate is better on the One X. I had some slow downs when I was in an area with three cars driving in circles around a supply drop. Other than that, I didn't really notice obvious slowdowns like before. There are even some graphical improvements to the indoor lighting. Looks like they've enabled shadows indoors, which makes the rooms look vastly different.

Forgot to post. They did another patch last week to fix a major bug, threw in more crash fixes, performance optimizations and the option to slightly change the button layout. Instead of tapping LT to toggle the scope view, you can hold and release like every other game, and the shoulder view is now hold and release LB. I think it's the better of the two configs.

https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/164767-xbox-game-preview-patch-notes-5/

Xbox players,

Quick update; we are pushing a fix for an in-game issue that was undermining the core experience for some players.

As part of that update, we have decided to include some additional performance and gameplay improvements, as well as a new controller option.

We want to thank our community for the continued feedback and look forward to the discussion that the changes below bring.

Gameplay

• Pistols have been removed from Y button's weapon rotation and grouped with the melee weapon.
  • Players can now equip pistols by pressing 'up' on the D pad.

Optimization

• Continued improvements related to player “rubber banding”.
  • Enhanced server performance while parachuting.

Option

• Added a new controller preset to options menu.
    • Type B (new preset) now supports:
      • Holding LT to aim down sight.
      • Holding LB to use 3rd person perspective aim sight.
  • Controller guide has been updated to include the new controller preset.

Bug fixes

• Fixed an issue where players repositioned out of the battleground after certain actions and remained invulnerable until the end of the match.
  • Additional memory and non-memory related crash fixes.
  • Fixed the inability to join duo/squad through invites outside of game.

Known issues to be addressed next patch:

• Dropping objects causes the player to switch weapons.
  • User is unable to switch grenade types when tapping right on the D-Pad.

See you in-game,

Last edited:
Got the chicken dinner on my second try. Felt like complete luck due to the fact that my aim was utter crap. How I even managed to kill 4 people during that second attempt makes me feel like I should of used that luck on a lotto ticket.

LOL.

It felt like a fight against the reticule more than a fight against the other players.

Got the chicken dinner on my second try. Felt like complete luck due to the fact that my aim was utter crap. How I even managed to kill 4 people during that second attempt makes me feel like I should of used that luck on a lotto ticket.

LOL.

It felt like a fight against the reticule more than a fight against the other players.

Yeah, you can occasionally get REALLY lucky. A streamer I watch (I believe NorthernLion) got a win once without killing a single person. He'd managed to stay out of intense firefights all the way to the end. And then when there was only 3 players left a person in the blue killed the other person in the circle. Then that person die to the blue.

Avoidance of conflict can get you pretty far in the game with a little bit of luck. Just have to get lucky that no one comes to your hiding places. The circles are placed really well relative to your hiding places, etc.

Regards,
SB

LOL.

Turn aim acceleration to 0 in the settings and it's a lot better. No one likes the default controls, so they should work on new defaults.

The controls still aren't great.

Oh and i'd recommend the new type b preset where you hold LT for iron sight or scope and hold LB for the 3rd person shoulder view.

Turn aim acceleration to 0 in the settings and it's a lot better. No one likes the default controls, so they should work on new defaults.

The controls still aren't great.

Oh and i'd recommend the new type b preset where you hold LT for iron sight or scope and hold LB for the 3rd person shoulder view.

I tried that after reading the previous posts. I'm still fighting the reticule. On my fourth try I got to #4 but I died because I got the drop on the guy but wasted about 8 shots trying to hit the guy in the back.

LOL.

Everytime I died I felt it was due to clumsy aiming. It's like the game accentuate the difficulty of shooting in a combat situation (or even in general) but in a bad way.

I tried that after reading the previous posts. I'm still fighting the reticule. On my fourth try I got to #4 but I died because I got the drop on the guy but wasted about 8 shots trying to hit the guy in the back.

LOL.

Everytime I died I felt it was due to clumsy aiming. It's like the game accentuate the difficulty of shooting in a combat situation (or even in general) but in a bad way.

I think the game just has nasty input lag. I've become accustomed to it, but I know the aiming mechanics are abysmal relative to even a moderatley good game.

Maybe I should add that by Epic's own admission UE4 had nasty input lag that they've ironed,out with Fortnite and will include in UE 4.19. Unfortunately pubg is branched from UE 4.14 or something like that, so they won't gain the benefit of those improvements. It shouldn't be impossible to fix, but hopefully Bluehole has some people that know the small details of UE well enough to fix it. It's less of an issue on pc because no one plays at junk 30 fps.

Last edited:
Fortnite is adding level streaming, so I would not be shocked if PUBG did not feature level streaming at all, since it's a much older version of UE.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v-2-2-0-patch-notes
  • Added level streaming, which loads the world on-the-fly as you move around, enabling a richer map and improved performance.
    • Improved frame rate by greatly reducing the number of objects that need to be updated.
    • Loading times have been greatly improved. It’s over twice as fast to load into the match on PS4 and Xbox One!
    • Loading content before matchmaking now completes quicker.
    • Greatly reduced hitching when garbage collecting memory every minute.
    • Greatly reduced hitching caused by updating objects when the time of day changes from day to night, and vice-versa.

Also, here's a note about input lag (delay) in UE4

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-improvements-for-fortnite-battle-royale

While working on Battle Royale we identified some issues with input latency in the engine that particularly affected 30Hz games. We were able to make improvements to thread synchronization, reducing latency by around 66ms (the reduction will be around half that in a 60Hz title) to address this problem. These changes make a noticeable improvement to the feel of the game, making it more responsive and easier to aim. (Will be in 4.19)

If they were able to improve input delay by 66ms at 30Hz, how bad was the total input delay in the first place? I'm sure it's not 0 now. They've improved it by two frames, basically, which is very significant. The problem for PUBG is that this fix was getting rolled into 4.19, which has just come out as a beta, and PUBG runs 4.14 or something. On PC, it's obviously not a big issue when you're running at the high frame rates pc players like.

Last edited:
Something just occured to me, the total download size for pubg is 5.2GB, which isn't too far off of the amount of available RAM on Xbox One (S) ... No streaming?

Frame rate dips to 15 fps can be considered broken in this genre. CoD was the most popular shooter last gen it ran 60 fps on both Xbox 360 and PS3. Battlefield, CoD and Overwatch all run 60 fps on Xbox One and PS4 (even base versions). Vsync locked 30 fps is barely acceptable for competitive online shooter. PUGB isn't even close to 30 fps locked. Most major competing online shooter brands run at 60 fps.

Something just occured to me, the total download size for pubg is 5.2GB, which isn't too far off of the amount of available RAM on Xbox One (S) ... No streaming?

Wow the whole game is 5.2GB? what a refreshing change... (I know it's limited size)

PUGB isn't even close to 30 fps locked. Most major competing online shooter brands run at 60 fps.

Has really hurt the game's sales eh? :LOL:

A google says Fortnight has locked to 30 in a recent patch, so it must be deemed "ok" for these TPS battle royale games on console.

Back