CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

It was the same situation as May - June with Polaris. I guess as the stocks started to slowly recover, none of us imagined the situation would repeat so soon

LE : Or it appears to be much worse, 1050 Ti & rx 560 are the highest end cards that can be bought. In summer, you could always get some GTX 1070s , altought at highly inflated prices. Also 1080 GTX availability is 0, even though it's not to best mining card

I've checked just the largest PC part store in my country

Last edited:
It was the same situation as May - June with Polaris. I guess as the stocks started to slowly recover, none of us imagined the situation would repeat so soon

LE : Or it appears to be much worse, 1050 Ti & rx 560 are the highest end cards that can be bought. In summer, you could always get some GTX 1070s , altought at highly inflated prices. Also 1080 GTX availability is 0, even though it's not to best mining card

I've checked just the largest PC part store in my country

This is compounded by AMD having stopped producing reference cards in order to better supply chips for custom designs. I would expect the time-to-market for these is a bit longer.

But, overall, 2018 for graphics cards is looking pretty grim pending Nvidia announcing a new consumer line. The only card I would consider buying right now is a 1080ti (for media support and performance reasons) and that already lower value for dollar proposition is made even worse by inflated prices due to the high demand.

It's truly crazy. At least the prior shortages were limited to RX580 (8GB models) and GTX 1070 to a lesser degree, and, before that, the RX 470/480. Try to find a good mining motherboard or PSU as well.

Looking at the last stock dates, they're not even being sold to distributors. Miners are arranging their own deals with the board makers for hundreds of the GPUs and that's where all the chips are going.

Looking at the last stock dates, they're not even being sold to distributors. Miners are arranging their own deals with the board makers for hundreds of the GPUs and that's where all the chips are going.

If so then this means it's not even amateur/enthusiast miners getting the GPUs, but rather the big (mainly Chinese) mining houses.
Sigh. Not good for gaming; not good for crypto, the latter because owning 51% of a crypto mining infrastructure means being able to defraud.

And it;s not just the sheer numbers.

For small coins, the community is very important. I've seen coins like e.g ZEN, which were just a fork of a fork at the begining, slowly rise up in relevance. They did not had the best developers IMO, but started to regularly publish news about what they plan. In a few months they got listed to new exchanges, had new wallets, and implemented encyption between the full nodes (BTC doesn't support that, for example)

Miners that start collecting some coins, trading, talking about them (so using them on a small scale) are a good way to jumpstart a comunity ( which will have to be refined later no doubt, crypto brings A LOT of toxic people).

If coins like this would instead just be mined by 1-3 professional crypto mining companies, I picture a vastly different future for coins like ZEN

Does anyone else have issues when switching miners? For example, when I switch (or auto-switch using Awesomeminer) from neoscrypt to etash my computer will crash about 50% of the time (more likely if there has already been one prior switch). Upon a reboot the new miner runs just fine. I'm assuming there's some housekeeping that isn't being done when miners quit?

With GPUs being unavailable or unaffordable I have turned to using Dell T3610 workstations and low end Quadro 600 GPUs when adding to my farm.

I am using four Dell T3610 workstations that only cost me $100 each. I paid $250 for each of them but reduced my cost by selling the Quadro K2000 and 16GB PC3-14900R memory that was in them on eBay. These systems have a Xeon E5-1620 V2 processor and a 500GB HD. I added in 8GB (8x 1GB PC3-10600R memory) that was basically free and put in five Quadro 600's (three on risers). The Quadro 600's cost $15 each and the risers were free as I used my eBay Bucks to buy them for $0. Windows 10 Pro was free because of the Win7 COA on the system.

Total system cost is $175.

I am mining Monero using the processor and Quadro 600's which are overclocked to 750 Mhz core and 950 Mhz memory.

I am using "XMR-Stak - Monero/Aeon All-in-One Mining Software"
https://github.com/fireice-uk/xmr-stak

Each system produces 730 H/s using 253 watts at the wall. I get 245 H/s on the Xeon and 485 H/s on the five Quadro 600's (97 H/s each).

Each system will produce 1.5 XMR's a year.

Here is a picture of the system being hot-staged.

Dell T3610 XMR Miner.JPG

Last edited:
Perhaps the only way AMD had to get discrete cards to gamers would be to pull a 3dfx<->STB..

Can someone imagine what will happen to any or both of the consoles if they're cracked to run mining software?
Lots of bandwidth and sufficient compute power on either of the 4 cases. The new-gens particularly could probably mine just as much as a Polaris 10 and at only 150W or less from the wall.
The console makers wouldn't let the miners grab the consoles out of foxconn's (or whomever is making them) production line.
Both IHVs need to come up with some way to protect themselves from this. Desktop PC gaming won't last another two years at this rate.

Love the repurposed old Dell.
Figure on the Vega FE.

My 2x Antminer S9s should arrive in about 4-6 weeks...

If I could sell my GPUs right now...I mean they're selling 1070s for $900! Doing some quick math I could probably get at least $10k for my two mining rigs right now. That's about 8 months of mining right there. Hmmm. Anyone want to buy them?

Does anyone else have issues when switching miners? For example, when I switch (or auto-switch using Awesomeminer) from neoscrypt to etash my computer will crash about 50% of the time (more likely if there has already been one prior switch). Upon a reboot the new miner runs just fine. I'm assuming there's some housekeeping that isn't being done when miners quit?

Haven't had that on my systems.

You'd think that at this point Xbox One X would have been re-purposed for mining. In fact, if Microsoft were smart, they would have long-launched a miner app of their own (with fees off the top for them) and a "Game when you want, earn money when you don't" campaign.

Haven't had that on my systems.

I only have it on my gaming rig so I suppose it must be driver-related and I'd likely be best to do a clean driver install. While this rig has seen 3 motherboards and many GPUs, it's all based on a 2600k build from a million years ago...

Some older version of ccminer-klaust has this problem, and it's possible that your auto-switching software uses ccminer-klaust for neoscrypt. Try updating to the latest version of ccminer-klaust if you are using it, I think it's fixed in the latest version.

Back