Assassin's Creed: Origins [PC]

I did not like Watch Dogs 1 at the time and I have just tested it again. Technically it is good for 2014 but it does not work nearly as well as PC game in comparison to other recent Ubisoft games. Huge HUD, I can not change anything in the HUD, small FoV, odd control. In general there are much less options and I am not feeling well playing it.

The gameplay in Watch Dogs 2 is several classes better. Apart from the scenario and the symbols I would not even think Watch Dogs 2 has anything to do with Watch Dogs 1. The differences are bigger than expected. In Watch Dogs 2 the hacking alone is much more precise, extensive and fun. Watch Dogs 2 did everything different and better.

What does this have to do with AC: Origins? I think the situation in AC is probably the same as with Watch Dogs 1 vs. Watch Dogs 2 (the combat system alone is much more fun to play but they could have done the highest dificulty harder^^). In my opinion Ubisoft has been improving its open world games extremely since then. At the time AC Unity was just a graphic game for me and nothing more.

_

From a technical point of view AC: Origins needs higher-resolution textures and more ground tessellation above all. I think Wildlands is still significantly superior in this aspect.

Last edited:
And they still have not resolved all the performance issues (even after some updates) :)
I think VMProtect should have more emphasis than the new Denuvo in the article, the downside is will this mean Ubisoft will carry on with such a technology/solution going forward with other games.
In context of the article some games do not make sense to crack due to the online requirements-"added services" and those are the ones the article listed as a strength of the new Denuvo (well ignoring the very average received Football Manager).

Last edited:
I picked this up in UBI's winter sale + cashed in some ubi thingy points for a further 20% off.

It's really quite moreish. I thought the more overt xp system would be irritating. Instead it actually works well as gating / progression. It helps that each character level area is huge. The crafting so far hasn't been obnoxious either.

The setting is done fantastically well.

For some reason the adaptive resolution is a total waste of time on my machine. It screen tears to hell and back.

I think the game is fine but I'm not as captivated as The Division and Wildlands. The graphics can not keep up with the two titles either. I am surprised by the constant praise whether for the graphics or the gameplay. It has a lot of details but Wildlands is a completely other level on PC and I mostly find bad comments about Wildlands in "social media". At the moment I prefer to play BATTLEFRONT II over AC: Origins (not the singleplayer of course).

Let's see if I still activate the automatic level adjustment of the opponents. Lower level enemies are too easy for me,

Well, I'm crap at the combat still, so will have plenty of milage out of that. :)

Can't say the on the whole, shooters my cup of tea.

On graphics, ACO's main delight over The Division and Wildlands is it's setting. It pips both for variety and richness of its art.

(Although I think the Division does an admirable art job within the constraints of a 'facade' New York and Clancyness)

I think the hunting bow is also very powerful and thus most opponents can be switched off with one hit and I rarely have an ammunition shortage.

AC: Origins is been a lot better since a couple of days for me but they should leave the sections of the present out there. They did not exist in AC: Unity and that was the right decision in my opinion.

After some hours I like some areas very much visually and the GI is one of the best which I saw in a game with a day and night cycle. Unlike Watch Dogs 2 it also looks good at night. What I've noticed in AC: Origins is if I do not like the environment it has a huge negative impact to me and thats why I rush trough some areas while I enjoy every second in others.

If every future AC title is like this one I will get all of them. I also liked Watch Dogs 2 but it's likely that I'll play AC: Origins longer. AC: Unity was the PC game which I played the least since 2013 with about 45 hours in total. In Watch Dogs 2 I spent 89 hours.

Next to The Division the image quality one of the best I've seen and the whole game looks polished in UHD at the highest settings. Not much annoying pop ups and shadow pop ins etc The foresight is excellent while AC: Unity had massive pop up issues. I find the Feeling very believable when I'm standing on a pyramid and look into the distance. The engine was significantly improved since AC: Unity. Still technically it is clearly far behind Wildlands but still very good compared to most games. The environmental textures should have been better thats for sure.

This is one of the few games I play with a Gamepad. I do not understand that many say that third person shooters with gmepad are good while a first person shooters are not. Its illogical for me because shooters play identically no matter if first or third person. That's why I generally do not play shooters with gamepad but AC: Origins is not a shooter.

Last edited:
I notice no difference the aiming makes the most part of shooters and for me it is nearly the same. In itself I clearly prefer first person if its done right of course.

No, Ubisoft, you will not trick me this time.
Each time new Assasins Creed appears I look at the plot I look at the graphic - I realize that I want this game. This is how i got 4 of them.. And I can't play any. Gameplay seems a real disaster for me. So I will "play" it on Youtube.

How are the side missions? I've heard they're very much not connected to the main game unlike in MEA or TW3?
Yep, not played it yet :)

Yes you are right. They are not connected.

This video reflects my thoughts very well:

EDIT:

It has been confirmed that Prince of Persia has not been prosecuted yet. I liked Prince of Persia's Sand of Time but it's unlikely that such games will come when Assassince Creed still exists. But AC could use more elements of Prince of Persia like deadly traps and so on. The problem is that it would be very hard to do without a time function. For this AC does not need to have such gigantic worlds where small villages are everywhere that fits rather to Wildlands for me. Smaller map, larger city with huge structures, more interior spaces, underground exploration facilities etc. Fewer side missions, an epic storyline, intriguing characters, a massive soundtrack and a spectacular ending. The problem is that everything has to be very good. In my opinion the story in AC Unity was relatively exciting and it was also a story-oriented game but the rest was not as good. Story and characters are not everything. In addition, the brand of Prince of Persia was never as big as AC and it would take many resources today. This is no longer the time where games were faster to develop.

Last edited:
Assassin’s Creed Origins’ Discovery Tour lets the beauty of Egypt shine: https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/14/17008318/assassins-creed-origins-discovery-tour-impressions

Discovery Tour in fact contains 75 discrete tours, covering everything from “Beer and Bread” as a facet of daily Egyptian life to a biography of Cleopatra (one that eschews the fictional ending that the game gave her). It turns the sprawling, gorgeously detailed Egypt of Assassin’s Creed Origins into a combat-free playground.

With the removal of combat and objectives, Discovery Tour becomes accessible to, well, everyone. The player maintains the ability to fast-travel, and to climb everything. But they can do it as one of 25 playable characters, including the aforementioned Cleopatra, Julius Caesar or an assortment of Egyptian civilians.

My favorite parts of Discovery Tour were the instances where it pulled back the curtain on game development.
The tours occasionally highlight changes that the designers made when history and entertainment were at odds with each other. There, the mode becomes something we don’t see very often: a behind-the-scenes documentation of the development process.

Once again a brilliant idea. It is even free for owners of the game.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Back