Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Performance is mostly low but this is too low. I have mostly >20fps whether desktop or Alienware 17 laptop.

CIG wants tol focus on performance until the next March update.

What are you running at ? I even dropped down to 1080p and performance has no changed, over clocking my cpu doesn't change performance either.

So if I understand correctly CryTek is in breach of the GLA by continuing to allow CryEngine to be part of Lumberyard since CIG changed Engine? o_O

An engine programmer in a German forum wrote this (auto translation with a few corrections):

I can not agree with his interpretation of the "reverse technology transfer" clause. I suspect he lacks the knowledge of how to work with a licensed engine. This is not about an undefined amount of work CIG should do. What CIG only has to do is to send their current status of CryEngine to CryTek at least once a year (and at the end of the project). CIG was never obliged to fix bugs in the engine or to implement new features. Only if they do it all belongs to Crytek.

Such a paragraph AFAIK not necessarily common but Crytek said that they have given CIG a discount on the license. This clause could well be a consideration for this discount.

In sum, I would see it that way:
1. I do not see the claim that CIG must use the Cryengine.
2. If you do not use the engine you do not have to name it or even advertise it.
3. The license is for a game containing SC and SQ42. Both must be sold together. A separate sale is explicitly excluded. But maybe feasible with rhetorical tricks. Since CIG only advertised and sold SQ42 but not deliveed they could not complain that CIG has released a second game with the CryEngine without a license.
4. CIG must return all changes to Crytek as long as it uses or has used the CryEngine. I'd even go so far as to ask Crytek to prove that CIG has completely upgraded the Cryengine before installing Lumberyard. If they did not do that but just did a delta update from Lumberyard, they still strictly used the CryEngine plus parts from Lumberyard.
5. CIG has probably made at least small parts of the Cryengine third accessible. But I can not judge whether this has really caused a significant damage.

Because of the performance of Alpha 3.0.:

I can not provide exact numbers but the performance depends a lot on the CPU at the moment.
- 4790k 30 - 45 fps
- 5820k/4.5Ghz allcore 40 - 50 fps
- 8700k/5.2Ghz often over 50 fps

In the initial phase with a new server the fastest CPUs often shoot over 100fps. In this cases a 1080TI is utilized well. Later the load on the GPU drops.

Last edited:
Well clocking my cpu higher does nothing , I got it up to 4.4ghz from 3.6ghz and nothing...

Here is a video of diffrent resultions . I will make a video of diffrent cpu settings if i am able too

i have the same problem where I get 28FPS even in basic environment. Vega 56 and R7 1700 OC.
Same happend on my previous R9 290X and i7 4790X. From what I remember it has to do with vSync settings but I haven't had time to reinvestigate.

Performance is bad now and CIGs focus for Alpha 3.1 will mainly be performance and the UI.

They also want to release a new update every quarter now and if features are not ready until then they will not delay the update but bring them into the next one.

Performance is bad now and CIGs focus for Alpha 3.1 will mainly be performance and the UI.

They also want to release a new update every quarter now and if features are not ready until then they will not delay the update but bring them into the next one.
with current performance the way it is when even the fastest chips and graphics cards wont give playable frames , a quartly update is going to be way to slow . This game wont be playable until 2020 and thats mostly because of hardware increases.

i have the same problem where I get 28FPS even in basic environment. Vega 56 and R7 1700 OC.
Same happend on my previous R9 290X and i7 4790X. From what I remember it has to do with vSync settings but I haven't had time to reinvestigate.

I've disabled V-sync in game and in my control panel to no avail. I think its just the game. I am also sad to hear that the r7 1700 wont increase my frame rate much. I was going to upgrade to a new Ryzen in April . I was hoping that be my fix for this game. But with what Jupiter said , i doubt this game will be playable this year .

with current performance the way it is when even the fastest chips and graphics cards wont give playable frames , a quartly update is going to be way to slow . This game wont be playable until 2020 and thats mostly because of hardware increases.

When gamelogic culling is implemented the client will only deal with players who are bound which should give a performance boost. The performance can still be low at spawning areas where many people are around but as soon as the player leaves Olisar the performance should increase by a lot. Technically that gamelogic culling should work. The easiest way is to simply stop sending updates depending on the distance. One has to handle a few borderline cases correctly and the complete client code has to cope with the fact that suddenly no more data for single objects is coming up.

An example where the whole thing can suddenly lead into errors are doors that are controlled from another location. If one programs it in such a way that the door simply asks for the corresponding switch it works without problems as long as one always transfer everything. If one now removes the data from objects that are too far away it can happen that the client does not know the correct state of the switch where the door does not behave correct anymore. Therefore the switch uses the state of the door to display itself. This is because if the client does not have the data of the door it cannot display the switch correctly. Accordingly, the right solution is that both objects need their own state and both are changed when the switch is operated. The point is if one has a system that always transfers everything one tries to reduce the amount of states which is the opposite of what one has to do when one has a selective system.

There are other things one has to take notice of. That's why its best that such fundamental decisions have to be made very early on. Because otherwise it will be very costly due to all the improvements.

In addition an on/off system is too naive for the data transfer of objects. Without a LOD system one has either too much data again or objects suddenly jump into the picture because they have fallen below the threshold. If the client is still too slow then one has to either improve the client code or start deleting things.

Last edited:
I get what your saying however the fact remains that performance is really poor. I know my cpu and ram are aging , but I am able to pull off 4k at 60fps in most games. This game I don't get anything more than 12fps no matter the resolution . Lightman has a r1700 and isn't doing much better and I brought my vega to my friends house who had an 8 core intel chip one of the newer ones he built in the fall and its not breaking the mid 20s. Thats a high end 2017/ 2018 rig there. So unless there is huge peformance increases when they tackle the server side there is going to be alot of problems.

they blew me up !!!!!! also god I suck at this .

Are any of you playing ? If so whats your game tags , we can all take a spin in my freelancer or starfarer

Am I the only one who gets ASMR pretty bad from watching Star Citizen vids? And I pretty strongly dislike ASMR.

Aurora looks desperately like those winglet/strakes aft should extend out into a kind of x-wing/dragonfly config for atmospheric flight.

Sort of like how scraping fingernails on a chalk board can give some an intense sensation but ASMR is meant to be more positive feeling than that example.
is it the micro stutter ? i notice it even when the person is getting good frame rates

No just the way their sound scheme works & possibly the specifics of the sounds used.
Its a thing I've been meaning to comment on for some time, those long demo vids mostly get me really on edge from it, almost have to stop watching.

Well I am getting a bit better at the game .

I finished my first mission

and I got auto landing to work and then get blown up

So I am going to set aside the framerate issues since this is an alpha. The little that is here can be fun the problem is there is very little. I have two joysticks the t1.6000m and I have to say the mouse is the best control scheme so far for this game. I'm really disappointed in that. I remember a couple years ago they did a big video about the controls and basicly said mouse and keyboard would be the best and get over it and after backlash they said they would fix the issues. However they haven't years later. With what I have played it seems they still have at least a year to go before this game is really playable but in terms of content they will need a lot more time to get it up to speed. The good news , messing around with a friend can be a lot of fun and I did get that ultima online feeling. So hopefully in the next ffew years this game comes together in a satisfying way

edit * I just got 30fps + for a few minutes on a fresh server and as more people jumped in my frames went all the way down to 4fps

Last edited:
Back