Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Valkyrie seems to be client server. No official mention of UPNP or port forwarding, which is pretty much a prerequisite in this day and age for a peer to peer game since almost everyone is behind a layer of NAT.

I'd check it out but they banned me till 2025 ... basicly release date at this point all for requesting refunds
Banned you? Wow... Banning your own customers is crazy, in this day and age such behavior quickly builds massive amounts of badwill.

Small claims court is my suggestion, if they refuse to give you your refund.

Banned you? Wow... Banning your own customers is crazy, in this day and age such behavior quickly builds massive amounts of badwill.

Small claims court is my suggestion, if they refuse to give you your refund.
i ended up selling most of my stuff off at profit once they banned me. I only have a few ships left and the total is about $200 so at this point i hardly care.

They don't like when people bring up their past either

Valkyrie seems to be client server. No official mention of UPNP or port forwarding, which is pretty much a prerequisite in this day and age for a peer to peer game since almost everyone is behind a layer of NAT.
Just found out Valkyrie is also using AWS, so possibly hybrid/mesh like Elite Dangerous *shrug*.

Separately some may find this interesting, just found a Frontier/AWS presentation, although unfortunately this is back in late 2015.

Without punch through you can't have peer to peer, though you can have some really dumb servers. Unity offers a relay service for instance, so you can do "peer to peer" through a generic server.

Without punch through you can't have peer to peer, though you can have some really dumb servers. Unity offers a relay service for instance, so you can do "peer to peer" through a generic server.
Sure from a NATs/DMZ perspective.
Just to add worth noting peer-to-peer these days is/can also be hybrid/meshed.
Just saying because for some peer-to-peer could have different limitations/perspective/semantics, especially these days.

this is my rig . I get horrible performance and I've moved down to medium . Also I am trying to figure out a better way to record , i used the built in amd software in the driver any ideas on something better ?

I am uploading a second one where I make it into the ship ! lol

next i have to learn to fly. In this video i used keyboard and mouse and a game pad . I have to reset up my joysticks to try them out.

Last edited:
Are you GPU capped/what if you knock the rez down to say, 1440P...?

I haven't tried yet , i will do so later today right now its bed time. I will try a few resolutions if you have any suggestions on what you want to see. The game is really unplayable at 4k for me right now . I am also trying to figure out youtube , i haven't used it in so long and its so forked up . My adsense is in limbo or something as I have an account but the account can't reactivate because of some other issue ... i dunno

Mustang, Avenger and 300 series will get a rework and therefore they have more bugs than other ships. Avenger and Mustang were so tight in some places that the player glitched out. That's why there is a rework too.

2018 Production Update
Hello Citizens,

Now that Alpha 3.0 is out, we wanted to give you all an update on our plans for this coming year. As we discussed before the holidays, we now have a delivery schedule based on dates rather than features.

We are doing this for several reasons. First, thanks to the huge improvements to core tech, we can be more predictable about delivering our patches, as we are building upon and refining existing tech. Second, we want to get more build iteration, which gives us more opportunities to get feedback from the community going forward. Finally, this new approach provides more flexibility in our development. If a proposed feature takes longer than anticipated, we will push it to the next release, rather than delaying other new content.

We plan on delivering new builds once a quarter, starting with our first drop at the end of March. After that, we aim to deliver again at the end of June, September, and December of this year.

Our first release will pull together all the great work that was completed last year with a focus on optimizing the server and client. We also intend to include one or two new features which will enhance gameplay around Crusader.

3.1 is about enhancing performance and polishing the gameplay systems and UI, including ships, system traversal, a large balance pass of our economy, and improving AI for spaceflight and combat. All the great data and feedback from the community over the holiday period is really going to help us with these tasks.

Although 3.1 is our focus for late March, several teams will also be working on our long-term goals for this year, in which we plan to deliver the vast majority of systems and mechanics so players have a variety of options to lose themselves in the ‘Verse.

For our end-of-June release, we plan to implement the initial tier 0 versions of mining, salvaging, mobile refueling, and repair into the game, as well as give the player the ability to create their own missions like hiring mercs, transport, or refueling missions. On the AI side, we plan to improve both ship and FPS AI for both missions as well as general activity on space and planetary bases.

Our next delivery in late September will introduce another major long-term tech goal: Object Container Streaming. This technology will allow us to start expanding the Stanton system with additional destinations, while managing our memory usage much better. In this delivery, we would also like to start introducing the mechanics of how you stake and file land claims and the gameplay that comes with this feature. This release will also continue to consolidate and polish all the new features in the past milestone.

That will leave our final build of the year in late December. Now that our streaming tech has been tested and can support the huge amount of new data content introduced, we will continue to expand the Stanton System, allowing players to explore, fulfill their career choices, and do many different types of missions, either with friends or on their own.

Stay tuned as the new Star Citizen Production Roadmap will come online along with the new RSI website later this month, with more development and release details.

See you in the ‘Verse (literally),

— The Star Citizen Team

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/Schedule-report-05012018

In my opinion CIG released 3.0 too early they should have eliminated more problems before giving it to the public.

There are also short keys to start the ship, etc.

If the performance is extremely bad <20 fps one should change the server.

Performance can be good for a few minutes until the server gets full and 40fps are the maximum at that station.

Last edited:
Well, to reiterate again, why is client FPS dependent on server performance? RSI claimed not too long ago this wasn't the case (and it shouldn't be, as it isn't in virtually Any Other Multiplayer Game Ever), yet it is?!

@eastmen
Just curious in general. You test whatever you feel like, and report here. I'll read it and like it! :D

The client performance does not depend on the server but what the players are doing on the server. This game does not have standard MMO technology yet. Your client is calculating what a player in 10000km distance is doing with his space ship etc. Bind/unbind should help here but my biggest cornern is how to calculate the information from 1000s of players when they get relevant and need to be bound. Situations in which capital ships are involved in huge battles etc.

See my comments in this thread (X-RAY-89): https://www.robertsspaceindustries....-still-possible-to-produce-a-large-mmo-with-t

Last edited:
Well, to reiterate again, why is client FPS dependent on server performance? RSI claimed not too long ago this wasn't the case (and it shouldn't be, as it isn't in virtually Any Other Multiplayer Game Ever), yet it is?!

@eastmen
Just curious in general. You test whatever you feel like, and report here. I'll read it and like it! :D

here is 1440p , nothing really sames to change maybe 1-2 fps . I think the server is causing the issue . But if you do watch please like the video ! lol

You can also see this is the second video where I get a bug that i can't open my ship or certian doors.

Last edited:

So the performance is all server side , here I am getting a low of 7fps and nothing about my rig has changed

Some people on the reddit for it seem to say its my shit cpu or shit gpu . But neither would be the case. My cpu is old now sure but its still fast enough that i shouldn't be getting bad performance and infact overclocking by 400mhz to 4ghz doesnt change performance.

I have also tried the windows defender exclusion fix to no avail

It is weird, nothing in that scene should bottom out your GPU at least; my old Hawaii cards ran DOOM, which even in simple locations looks at least as good as that scene, at 1440P rez at more than 60fps and a Vega is easily 2x the performance of those.

So again we blame server performance I guess, for inexplicable reasons. :p

there is a new windows preview out , i will download it and try it out. I just got shadow of war so I'm going to install that also and give it a whirl. I am sure i can get more than 15fps in that lol

Performance is mostly low but this is too low. I have mostly >20fps whether desktop or Alienware 17 laptop.

CIG wants tol focus on performance until the next March update.

Last report clarified the question if the container streaming will have anything to do with bind culling.
The networking team worked on serialized variable culling, which will eventually become entity bind culling. This stops the server from distributing the state of variable on an entity after a certain distance.

The downside is that the code is not expecting this behavior.
_
Tech Lawyer about the Crytek vs. CIG Lawsuit

https://web20lawyer.com/resume/

Another lawyer:

Last edited:
I like following Leonard French (bottom video), has some interesting videos and analysis out there, I like how the 1st guy presents the info as well.

Last edited:
Back