AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

I do too and I agree, but I'm STILL a bit miffed about the way they handled Raja. :(
Well, do we know the full story about all that? Both Raja and AMD seem to have only provided "sanitized" information, assuming it was anything else than what was stated publically, IE Raja burnout, taking time off to take care of his family.

I don't know what happened, or who to blame - if anyone.

I do too and I agree, but I'm STILL a bit miffed about the way they handled Raja. :(
It's difficult or impossible to say what the actual truth of the matter was for all that from an outside perspective. Even with some purported insider sources, getting an objective account might not be possible.
Depending on the rumors and statements we choose to believe, it can be one or a combination of burnout, frustration at AMD's lower emphasis on graphics, sidelining for execution issues, personal ambition, piles of Intel cash, a clash of personalities, or threatened mutiny. Some of them would make reasonable motivations for not keeping him on.

I do find the clash of personalities rumors to be plausible, although I wouldn't expect that to be sufficient on its own.

Lisa Su has been incredible at AMD, she's brought them to competitive with Intel and for that I am still amazed and loving it. :D
I think there's been a lot of pieces that figure into that, and I'm not clear which parts were under her purview as general manager in terms of the Zen project's organization or hiring of staff like Keller. Papermaster was potentially more involved at that early stage and I'm not sure who would have been involved in the final approval--Read could have made some of the preliminary upper-level decisions prior to Su's replacing him.
She did make some notable sacrifices like Skybridge when she came in.

Su is apparently credited for pushing the diversification of the product lines and consoles, although in that case she might deserve some of the credit for how AMD leveraged GCN into its period of long decline. The rumors and interpretations of statements about AMD losing focus on graphics or assuming discrete was effectively over weren't significantly reversed by her even if she didn't make the initial choice.
If we believe some of the rumors, RTG's creation or how that creation was handled wasn't necessarily her choice. If there's a belief that Read was the instigator of AMD's neglect of graphics, the Koduri situation and a rather dead 2018 for graphics doesn't show Su is necessarily of a different mind than her predecessor. Fingers crossed for a GPU equivalent of a Zen initiative, I guess.

So looks like 2018 will be devoid of any new GPU from AMD, leaving NVIDIA to release new high end SKUs, raising the bar even higher. Another year with another gap from AMD, As even the 7nm Vega is an AI only chip sampled at the end of the year to select few.

They'll be releasing a mysterious 7nm Vega GPU, quite possibly this year. Which, ok I'm surprised as hell by that. If it's really "AI focused" as advertised it's probably a double Vega 64, as there's no need for double precision in AI training. While a 4 stack HBM 2 Vega 128 would easily be the fastest gaming card around if it's released this year, it'll also probably cost $5k+ and be sold out instantly; thus of no practical use to gamers.

What I'm mildly surprised by is the oddball announcements for "12"nm. No GPUs, no mobile CPUs? Maybe they're bandwidth capped on the GPU end, or that since they're constantly sold out anyway they care about a relatively minor upgrade. But surely Intel is still dominant in the mobile PC end, getting every advantage they could would seem logical. Perhaps GF is extremely manufacturing capped for 12nm though.

Have a look at my post at overclock. net/t/1634018/official-vega-frontier-rx-vega-owners-thread/5650#post_26540742 Is someone capable of trying that out?

Just for fun, I used a product search engine just now to check Swedish online retailers for RX Vegas, and the results are still as dismaying as ever. For Vega 56, there's one retailer stocking one single model (Sapphire Nitro+) at ~€680 (lul), and for Vega 64 there's two retailers having one model in stock each; aircooled ASUS Strix (at almost €800 still), and other being the reference watercooled model at nearly €1100... (!)

So, yeah, clearly cards being priced for and bought by gamers, for gaming... :LOL: :rolleyes:

Can it be that nVidia doesn't launch post pascal gaming card yet, because they know it's performing very well for mining, and don't want to deal with that too ? Very weird situation... I guess AMD is happy to sell in the end but...yeah...

How can they fix this ?
Etherum has an emphasis on bandwidth. It also needs to store the DAG in GPU memory, which is growing all the time. We see the highest hash rates for Vegas with overclocked HBM and underclocked cores.

A SKU optimized for mining would have less CUs and more, shallower, stacks of HBM. IE, 32 CUs (or less) and four HBM stacks with just 2GB in each stack.

Cheers

Can it be that nVidia doesn't launch post pascal gaming card yet, because they know it's performing very well for mining, and don't want to deal with that too ?

No, not possible.

Or please elaborate on why a publicly traded company would delay selling something because it's just too good at a given task. Note that on the meantime, the fabs are working so more and more inventory is piling up in nV's top secret basements.
I do understand the implication made by some (and possibly you) that they may not want to alienate a proven customer base (gamers) but this argument needs to be substianted further.

nV was happy to subsidize their deep learning chip development with gaming sales, at least that's their official marketing line. Why would they then similarly now not use mining-triggered sales to boost their DL & Gaming chips R&D funds? Also Jensen publcly said that it'd be foolish to ignore the blockchain

Wouldn't any unsold stockpiles then be used to supply the gaming community?

No. There wouldn't be any unsold stockpiles.
Making more cards = miners getting more cards.

As long as anyone can make >$200/month with any Vega and >$100/month with any RX570/580 (of profit considering $0.18/kW.h), miners will get all the cards directly from the factories.
They're money-makers with full return of investment after 4 months that still retain a good chunk of their value if sold in the second-hand market.

The moment AMD released that blockchain driver back in August 2017, they pretty much killed their presence in gaming desktops.
Maybe they got afraid of not selling enough Vega cards and/or they weren't counting on the explosion of alt-coins designed to be ASIC-proof, but that was probably their 2017 decision with the worst outcome.

Curious thing is had they made the driver exclusively for Radeon Pro and FE, AMD might have been swimming in money right now, as even the FE would still be very profitable.
For example, the Radeon Pro WX7100 is selling for less than most RX580 cards (that are actually available), it probably mines just as well and AMD gets a much bigger share from those than the gaming cards. Same thing with the WX5100 and the Vega FE (which AMD now promotes as a card for "blockchain pioneers".. lol yeah right too late now, guys).

Last edited by a moderator:
No. There wouldn't be any unsold stockpiles.
Making more cards = miners getting more cards.

As long as anyone can make >$200/month with any Vega and >$100/month with any RX570/580 (of profit considering $0.18/kW.h), miners will get all the cards directly from the factories.
They're money-makers with full return of investment after 4 months that still retain a good chunk of their value if sold in the second-hand market.

The moment AMD released that blockchain driver back in August 2017, they pretty much killed their presence in gaming desktops.
Maybe they got afraid of not selling enough Vega cards and/or they weren't counting on the explosion of alt-coins designed to be ASIC-proof, but that was probably their 2017 decision with the worst outcome.

Curious thing is had they made the driver exclusively for Radeon Pro and FE, AMD might have been swimming in money right now, as even the FE would still be very profitable.
For example, the Radeon Pro WX7100 is selling for less than most RX580 cards (that are actually available), it probably mines just as well and AMD gets a much bigger share from those than the gaming cards. Same thing with the WX5100 and the Vega FE (which AMD now promotes as a card for "blockchain pioneers".. lol yeah right too late now, guys).

Holy cow, I didn't know that AMD is publicly marketing FE to crypto miners now.

I'd almost be surprised at that if I hadn't already been through Long Island Ice Tea renaming itself to Long Blockchain (its stock price tripled) or Kodak announcing its own cryptocurrency (its stock price "only" jumped 60%).

This bubble is getting out of hand.

Holy cow, I didn't know that AMD is publicly marketing FE to crypto miners now.

I'd almost be surprised at that if I hadn't already been through Long Island Ice Tea renaming itself to Long Blockchain (its stock price tripled) or Kodak announcing its own cryptocurrency (its stock price "only" jumped 60%).

This bubble is getting out of hand.
Ain't that a trip!
https://pro.radeon.com/en/product/radeon-vega-frontier-edition/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How can they fix this ?

Thanks for the link to the Vega FE now being sold as a "High Efficiency Performance for Coin Mining, Content Creation and Gaming".

I just picked up one for mining XMR to go along with the two Vega 56's I am currently using.

The price of $749 for the Vega FE is very reasonable considering Vega 56's on eBay have sold for $750 - $1100 recently.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=amd vega 56&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Also the price reduction on the FE of 25% off the MSRP of $999 makes it a good value and being a FE it should hold up better for resale later.

If anyone here is interested in purchasing one I suggest moving fast because these will not last long and the price will move higher. The two Vega 56's I bought for $399 when the 1070 Ti was released became unavailable soon after and we can all see the prices for them now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105073

Last edited:
Back