AMD Resolves Issues with DX9 Games

The writing is really on the wall with AMD within PC gaming space. I can see them dedicating and allocating more of their time/resources to mining and custom IPs for consoles & integrated TV/setup hardware. When was the last time AMD GPUs (hell, even their CPUs) sustained a performance lead for more than 2 months? Hell, Nvidia is tripping all over itself with its own hardware, which is more embarrassing to AMD than Nvidia, IMHO.

The shitstorm might have caused AMD looking into it right now, but I'm surprised AMD hasn't just told their forum representatives to always answer they'll report it to the driver team, and not speculate about not fixing the issues.

Last edited:
The shitstorm might have caused AMD looking into it right now, but I'm surprised AMD hasn't just told their forum representatives to always answer they'll check with the driver team.

The driver team might have better things to do than answer 10 tier-0 queries/day from the forum customer support associates.
The forum customer support associates might not have clear concept of the differences between API and HW and so, confused, tell customers their 2007 API is not supported, when it's the 2007 HW that's not supported.

It's really hard to employ the right people to interface with customers.

Anyway, I'm glad there's been an absolute reversal of AMD's position. Locking an official thread is a red rag, to be frank, and I think we gamers are justifiably entitled to products that keep doing what they've long done. Being able to play ancient games is a core reason to be a PC gamer.

After I've finished Metro 2033, maybe The Witcher Enhanced Edition will be next, though Planescape Torment wants my attention too. Oh and then there's Dragon Age. Whoops.

right now they support more GPU generations than AMD. They have driver and DX12 support for 2010 cards (Fermi and beyond), while AMD only supports GCN cards with those (from 2012), leaving out VLIW5 and VLIW4 cards. NVIDIA also supports more Windows options (7, 8 and 10). AMD only supports 7 and 10.
Well they've improved considerably over the bad old times then & good on them.

Next thing you're gonna tell me NV gave up trying to corner the market with proprietary tech & became a champion of OpenSource/Industry Standards :runaway:

Last edited:
It's really hard to employ the right people to interface with customers.

Anyway, I'm glad there's been an absolute reversal of AMD's position. Locking an official thread is a red rag, to be frank, and I think we gamers are justifiably entitled to products that keep doing what they've long done. Being able to play ancient games is a core reason to be a PC gamer.

After I've finished Metro 2033, maybe The Witcher Enhanced Edition will be next, though Planescape Torment wants my attention too. Oh and then there's Dragon Age. Whoops.
Pay customer support $40/hr and require a masters degree in relevant fields would solve that problem.

I'm surprised AMD hasn't just told their forum representatives to always answer they'll report it to the driver team, and not speculate about not fixing the issues.
Damn it man, I've been BUSY! Real life had me by the short and curlies all through the holidays, I'm just getting back in to foruming now!

Besides, they never sent me a Ryzen or a Vega. :(

One created by AMD themselves has to be pointed out...

One that was created by an unfortunate and ignorant community manager during a holiday, was corrected by AMD's software director in 24 hours and had a driver fix out there just 2 days after that. Poor community manager guy probably got fired on the second day of the year.

Of course, that slip was enough for some crying out in joy and others saying "we can now safely claim that AMD is no longer making graphics cards for gamers" so he could convince his friend to buy a 1080 Ti.

But yes, one created by AMD themselves nonetheless.

Back