CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Isn't Ripple practically against everything cryptocurrencies stand for?
It's a corporate-backed and currency with the highest transfer fee out there. You can't mine it because it's already 100% owned from day one.

XRP is not a public blockchain, yeah. So yeah, boring and depressing. Made 2k$ (so far) off 1k$ investmenet in 10 days with it, which is the less boring part.

I haven't followed much about it, but AFAIK transfer fees are not high. The issue is instead that the fees increase as the ammount being payed increases, which reminds us of banks (and maybe one of the reasons banks love $XRP)

So whattomine is telling me I should be mining Nicehash instead of Monero, with almost 3x better income.

Why isn't everyone mining Nicehash instead of Monero?

Did Nicehash ever recover from the massive breach/hack they had recently?

It seems some people are getting the "Compute Mode" toggle in their Adrenalin drivers (I didn't, not even after a clean install with registry cleaning, etc.), and that seems to help.
Did not get compute mode toggle either with version 12.1 with my old hawaii boards or 12.2 with my vegas, and I used the "clean" upgrade/install option in both cases, whatever that actually is (uninstalling the previous driver I presume, but how much crud is left behind I don't know. Knowing AMD historically, it's a lot.) No cleaning the registry or such measures tho - not that that should be required. Driver uninstall/upgrade should take all its trash out along with itself when it goes...

U.S. company plans funds that double bitcoin price moves
Jan 5, 2018 / 9:00 PM

U.S. fund managers are ramping up efforts to tap into the fever surrounding digital assets, and the latest planned bitcoin products could deliver some head-turning and stomach-churning price movements if they come to market.
The new idea is to build “leveraged” and “inverse” funds that would rise - or fall - twice as fast as the price of bitcoin on a given day.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bitcoin-funds/u-s-company-plans-funds-that-double-bitcoin-price-moves-idUSKBN1EV03W?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reuters/technologyNews+(Reuters+Technology+News)

Last edited:
How I fell for the blockchain gold rush
Sun 7 Jan 2018 ,18:00 GMT
Bitcoin envy, the ultramodern malaise. News reports are full of this magic internet money’s rocketing value – currently $16,000 – and Facebook is dotted with people who picked some up at $500, $50 or even 50 cents. But the cryptocurrency ship hasn’t yet sailed. In the volatile market of alternative cryptos, relatively unknown alt-coins such as ripple, litecoin and ethereum regularly shoot up by hundreds of per cent in a matter of weeks, and plummet just as fast. Bitcoin envy has brought in vast sums of new money, dollar-eyed investors taking a Las Vegas gamble on which of the more than 1,000 alt-coins might rocket next. In September the cryptocurrency market cap was $137bn. Today it’s $800bn. It’s a blockchain gold rush.
For a form of currency designed to wrestle financial control away from centralised banks and governments and back into the hands of the people, there is a surprising amount of red tape involved with buying cryptocurrency online. It took me two days to pass security checks on depository Coinbase and crypto exchange Binance and scour Reddit to find out how a digital “wallet” worked. One night my wife woke me at 5am: ADA was 51 cents and rising fast. I scrambled for the laptop and bought all the ADA I could.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/07/bitcoin-crypto-currencies-mcafee

Last edited:
Did Nicehash ever recover from the massive breach/hack they had recently?
For me, that will entirely depend on how they will handle the „stolen funds“ issue, which they claim to announce no later than january 31st. That, as well as whether or not they keep pushing users to use their internal wallet instead of external ones.

RDD is kind of appealing to me, actually. The staking system doesn't lock up your coins and I can Shapeshift to it from VTC and Shapeshift from it to BTC for any purchases I might make. Maintaining liquidity is important for me, because I am going to try to use mining earnings to opportunistically fund future GPU purchases.

I ended up moving half of my VTC balance to RDD for staking via Shapeshift. That process worked really well and was completed in a few minutes. I'm going to keep splitting my VTC earnings this way going forward.

So, my entire process is:

1. Awesomeminer mines most profitable algo on MiningPoolHub with my GPUs along with XMR on my CPUs
  2. MPH auto-exchanges to VTC and pays out (per my settings) to my personal wallet when I reach 1 VTC on my pool wallet.
  3. I use Shapeshift to convert half those VTC to RDD.
I like it. Given that I can do step 3 at my leisure, the only thing I'm obligated to do is check and make sure the miners are running.

So whattomine is telling me I should be mining Nicehash instead of Monero, with almost 3x better income.

Why isn't everyone mining Nicehash instead of Monero?

You are comparing apples with oranges. Mining a single coin will rarely yield the maximum instantaneous return rate so your conclusion is tautological.
Whatttomine shows entire algorithms for nicehash numbers . So from this viewpoint, nichash is just a convenience for switching to the current most profitable coin of a given algorithm . Which also may not be what one wants anyway

You are comparing apples with oranges. Mining a single coin will rarely yield the maximum instantaneous return rate so your conclusion is tautological.
Whatttomine shows entire algorithms for nicehash numbers . So from this viewpoint, nichash is just a convenience for switching to the current most profitable coin of a given algorithm . Which also may not be what one wants anyway

Doesn't really matter what coin it's mining to the person mining, though, since it's paying out in BTC.*

*Eventually. If they don't get hacked again.

Doesn't really matter what coin it's mining to the person mining, though, since it's paying out in BTC.

I was responding to the posted question "Why isn't everyone mining Nicehash instead of Monero?"

If the question were instead "Why isn't everyone that wants instant payout in BTC mining Nicehash instead of Monero?"" then it wouldn't indeed have mattered

OK.
I had watched a video about the subject and I understood it was two different things.

But then why does the XMR-STAK ask me if I want nicehash? Is it a plugin for nicehash?

I think Stack tries to generate the default config file. So if you say you want Nicehash, then it probably knows what pools to connect to already and would ask for a nicehash wallet (which stores btc, I think) instead of a wallet address for the coin you're mining

I'm just on Eth my numbers are good and the currency is climbing . Each payout on nanopool is about $200 now which takes me a few weeks to get. Hopefully the coin continues to rise and when when it hits a few thousand I will sell. I am thinking of mining something else as a secondary coin in claymore but i haven't figured out which one. Something i can get alot of without much effort as kind of a bet to see if it will go up into the hundreds of dollars sphere.

PASC & DCR are good secondary coins, which I'd predict have a reasonable future ahead. PASC was nowhere 2 months ago but it seems it took off now. It has a weird ideea (mutable blockchain?) and i'd say it's the riskier choice from these 2

Note that that in my experience, i found nVidia cards to perform poorly at dual mining; you just get a tiny little bit extra. On the flipside, the ETH hashrates are not damaged too much when dual mining (while with AMD they fluctuate more).

pascal coin you mean ? what are you using for a wallet ?
PASC & DCR are good secondary coins, which I'd predict have a reasonable future ahead. PASC was nowhere 2 months ago but it seems it took off now. It has a weird ideea (mutable blockchain?) and i'd say it's the riskier choice from these 2

Note that that in my experience, i found nVidia cards to perform poorly at dual mining; you just get a tiny little bit extra. On the flipside, the ETH hashrates are not damaged too much when dual mining (while with AMD they fluctuate more).

pascal coin you mean ? what are you using for a wallet ?

I'm mining DCR

Btw, people, has anyone noticed their XMR hahrate (massively) dropping with the recent Meltdown patches? Seen such a report for a Debian user.

Last edited:
I've now started to mine with my Titan V. Currently mining Zcash with it, along with CPU mining Monero on the Xeons. Getting 900 Sol/s with stock clocks.

Contrary to what most people on the forums seem to say, I find Titan V an excellent choice for mining if you can afford it. Because not only do you get the best performance and efficiency, this card is also expected to have a pretty good resell value. The actual TCO can be surprisingly low on these.

I am thinking of mining something else as a secondary coin in claymore but i haven't figured out which one. Something i can get alot of without much effort
Ugh, forgive me for saying so, but this is what I find the most repugnant about this whole cryptoBS business; the hunt for maximum quick gain based on nothing but rampant greed. To me, it smacks of nothing short of deliberate grifting, in roughly the same vein as "a fool and his money..."; IE, get, while the getting is good. We see how well that has worked in the real world (just look at the state of this planet); it'll go down just about as well in the digital world as well no doubt.

i found nVidia cards to perform poorly at dual mining; you just get a tiny little bit extra.
Interesting (but perhaps irrelevant) sidetrack: back in the bad old Nvidia Kepler days, I had twin GF770s in my then-new Haswell rig. They were pretty decent for gaming, they ran crysis 2 at 60fps pretty stably at 1440P rez for example. However, everything - including the windows desktop - would jerk if you ran GPGPU on them. Gaming with GPGPU going wasn't even remotely possible, framerate dropped to single digits and it varied immensely.

Once I burned out two fans on those cards (they ran hot running jammed up right next to each other) I switched to one single AMD R9 290X instead, and it would happily GPGPU while gaming - or at least as long as you ran simpler games without much pixel shading, like Diablo 3 and to some extent World of Warcraft. The same holds basically true today too by the way. I often play WoW with Folding running in the background.

Btw, people, has anyone noticed their XMR hahrate (massively) dropping with the recent Meltdown patches?
I don't mine, but Folding doesn't seem impacted to any noticeable degree, if it is at all, it's in the single digit percent range. I wonder what effect these patches could have on mostly pure computing apps like these; you'd think that if you spend massive amounts of time and computing power in user space thinking on a big, difficult problem, the Meltdown impact should be correspondingly lessened... :)

I don't mine, but Folding doesn't seem impacted to any noticeable degree, if it is at all, it's in the single digit percent range. I wonder what effect these patches could have on mostly pure computing apps like these; you'd think that if you spend massive amounts of time and computing power in user space thinking on a big, difficult problem, the Meltdown impact should be correspondingly lessened... :)

XMR's CryptoNote algo scales mostly together with the cache size / arch rather than "compute". For example, Vischera dinosaurs can reasonably keep up with the i7 Skylake processors . I didn't get too much about the technicalities of Meldown, but I've read that it's something TLB-related? CryptoNote uses paging (i know that's vague, sorry) Some of the miner's troubleshooting guides recommend checking if large pages are enabled by the OS, in case when performance is bellow expectations

Back