Advances in Artificial Intelligence for next generation, & advanced AIs in videogames

I think that's a little unfair.
Perhaps I was being too harsh but I don't consider behaviour you can sketch out on a 3x3 post-it note as AI :nope:

Soup didn't say 'solved using A'I, but solved using principles ("techniques") learnt from studying AI. I guess he means getting a different set of mental models to view a problem from and being able to express it as Big Data or relationship models or a branchy tree structure or a car analogy...

Yup. Lots of once promising things, like machine learning and decision trees, were evolved in the pursuit of believable AI. Many technqiues were discarged but have found uses in non-AI applications.

is DSoup a spy?

I don't work for GCHQ. :nope: Our resources are used for entirely for the benefit of mankind and finding really funny cat videos on the internet. Actually, that does sound a lot like GCHQ. :confused:

Perhaps I was being too harsh but I don't consider behaviour you can sketch out on a 3x3 post-it note as AI :nope:

Yup. Lots of once promising things, like machine learning and decision trees, were evolved in the pursuit of believable AI. Many technqiues were discarged but have found uses in non-AI applications.

Dont tell people that Machine Learning is not AI, then there are a few VCs around the world that will see their cash run the same way as their Crypto coins will :D

I don't work for GCHQ. :nope: Our resources are used for entirely for the benefit of mankind and finding really funny cat videos on the internet. Actually, that does sound a lot like GCHQ. :confused:
"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

So are you a spy or not? I mean, maybe you are one of those kinds of people now.

Dont tell people that Machine Learning is not AI, then there are a few VCs around the world that will see their cash run the same way as their Crypto coins will :D

I think the jury is out on machine learning. I wonder what Tay would think? :runaway:

It's not very modern any more which isn't a problem and I think it is still a must read if you want an intro of how to get into the mindset needed for making machine learning systems.

Yeah, I can't think of one single book that would cover things. Older books are easier to absorb because there was less history (but are naturally dated) yet more recent books generally assume the reader has at least a minimal understanding of what's gone before and why certain branches of research were abandoned.

My most anticipated Game pass for PC game... Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition, now has a human-like, non cheating AI and you can actually learn from it while it plays. (will buy the game using the Gamepass discount, also it features cross-play with Steam)

Fair enough. That chat was actually after Isgreen and Beeckman had taken me through a closer look at those features in the game, via a peek at the new Tamerlane campaign, the most striking of them being that new AI.

"If you look at the old AI, it cheated" Beeckman chuckled. "It totally cheated. It doesn't cheat anymore
."

"If you put one AI, non-cheating, of the Definitive Edition version against seven of the original that do cheat, it just wipes the floor with them. No problem. Every time. So that's the kind of level we were aiming for here... the new AI is so good that you can watch replays of it to actually learn how to play the game, because it plays the game correctly now... it tries to follow the competitive meta - on the highest [difficulty] level - because we have 20 years of pro players doing tournaments and we tried to get that in the AI as well."

You can also talk to the new AI in a more sophisticated way. I didn't see this in action but the example I was given was how, in the past, interactions were limited to things like "do you have any spare Gold you could give me?" whereas now you could ask an AI ally "hey, can you attack, with Knights, that specific player at that time", and they'll go ahead and do it

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...great-but-still-has-to-compete-against-itself

age_of_empires_definitive_edition_1.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly they don't explain any of that. In what way did the old AI cheat? What is the new AI doing? IIRC the old AoE AI was simply script based. I presume by cheating they mean having access to resources and stuff faster than the player as is typical of difficulty adjustment, so the AIs can mine faster and build faster as they can't out-think.

Back