AMD Resolves Issues with DX9 Games

The tech forums are literally up in arms about AMD's response to the issue of several DX9 games crashing after the Adrenaline driver update. AMD's rep official forum response is:
"This title is from 2007, so we are unlikely to devote any valuable engineering resources to this issue, which is most likely caused by outdated API modules"

Games affected include: Witcher 1, Red Alert 3, C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, Battle For Middle Earth, C&C4 and probably many more (including DX8, DX7 and older titles).

This is truly disturbing, backward compatibility is the ABC of PC gaming, and the possibility of AMD abandoning older games could really shred the remainder of AMD install base, especially for an API as wide spread and invasive as DX9, which still receives games to this day.

https://www.techpowerup.com/240103/amd-unlikely-to-fix-dx9-games-bugged-by-adrenalin-driver

Last edited:
For additional context:

Among the games affected, old as they may seem, are AAA blockbusters, including "C&C3 Tiberium Wars," "C&C3 Kane's Wrath," "C&C Red Alert 3," "C&C Red Alert 3 Upising," "C&C4 Tiberian Twilight," "Battle for Middle Earth 1-2," and "The Witcher Enhanced Edition." AMD blames its inability to fix these issues to outdated API models. The company's full statement reads "This title is from 2007, so we are unlikely to devote any valuable engineering resources to this issue, which is most likely caused by outdated API modules."

And more questions about support for dx9 ending: https://community.amd.com/message/2840491

http://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7na5ws

Wow I don't even know what to say... I guess its good that I rolled back to a pre-adrenalin driver. You're right though playing old games is a staple of PC gaming, I'd call this a problem. I wonder why AMD is going this route... I guess they're really strapped for cash... but Ryzen was a big success and the mining craze must be good for there bottom line too. Ah well I was going to consider both volta and navi for my next video card, but if this is true and volta comes out before navi I might not wait for navi.

List of games growing ....
This is a problem that affects many DirectX 9 games. I'll list some popular older and newer games confirmed broken by the Adrenaline drivers that work if you roll back to Crimson drivers:

• The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
  • Guild Wars 2 (some users)
  • Command & Conquer 3 (all expansions/versions)
  • Command & Conquer 4 - Tiberian Twilight
  • Skyrim
  • StarCraft 2 (some users)
  • League of Legends
  • CS:GO (some users)
  • Battle for Middle Earth 1 - 2
  • Tales of Berseria
The list is not exhaustive. I'll add to it occasionally as I hear about more popular games being broken.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7ncr3y

The fuck are these assclowns doing? If these games worked before adrenalin, what the hell did they do to their driver in this version to break them?!

Not that I personally play very many games these days, but it would piss me off mightily if I would want to some day, and then be unable to because of AMD's shitty incompatible drivers.

I thought we were past this point where AMD's (or well, ATi's, really) most distinguishing property was their bad drivers.

So I think we can now safely claim that AMD is no longer making graphics cards for gamers:

https://www.techpowerup.com/240103/amd-unlikely-to-fix-dx9-games-bugged-by-adrenalin-driver

Let's see if the shitstorm changes their minds.

I'm trying my hardest to get a friend to just buy a 1080Ti. I think this will be the nudge he needs.
it they don't fix that, as the AMD fan that I've been for years, I am not going to buy a AMD card ever in my life again. Even if I wanted one to mine

The tech forums are literally up in arms about AMD's response to the issue of several DX9 games crashing after the Adrenaline driver update. AMD's rep official forum response is:
"This title is from 2007, so we are unlikely to devote any valuable engineering resources to this issue, which is most likely caused by outdated API modules"

Games affected include: Witcher 1, Red Alert 3, C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, Battle For Middle Earth, C&C4 and probably many more (including DX8, DX7 and older titles).

This is truly disturbing, backward compatibility is the ABC of PC gaming, and the possibility of AMD abandoning older games could really shred the remainder of AMD install base, especially for an API as wide spread and invasive as DX9, which still receives games to this day.

I'd just say backwards compatibility is the ABC of PC, just like that.

The Witcher 1 not working well? (it is my favourite of the 3 games in the series) and Skyrim=??????????? One of my favourite games ever.... If they dont fix that, good riddance AMD, forever, my desktop PC is a custom made AMD PC, and if they dont change that, the last ever for me.

the DX9 games that I play are working fine with these drivers, but it's worrying for a company to react like this to users reporting issues caused by new drivers,
tbh I remember some newer Nvidia drivers breaking DX9 games not long ago, but they were eventually fixed.

Not awesome.
Hopefully the necessary someone in AMD is currently on holiday & will kick some asses when they get back.

On the other hand historically NV abandons old hardware/APIs in drivers much earlier than AMD yet people still buy NV...

On the other hand historically NV abandons old hardware/APIs in drivers much earlier than AMD yet people still buy NV...
Never heard of them dropping support for any version of DirectX (DX6 or whatever) or specific games, care to elaborate?

And no, right now they support more GPU generations than AMD. They have driver and DX12 support for 2010 cards (Fermi and beyond), while AMD only supports GCN cards with those (from 2012), leaving out VLIW5 and VLIW4 cards. NVIDIA also supports more Windows options (7, 8 and 10). AMD only supports 7 and 10.

Last edited:
Did I just see someone say AMD supports hardware longer than NV? GeForce 6 got drivers for ~12 months beyond Radeon HD 4000. You can use a GF6 on Windows 98 to Windows 8!

Last edited:
Back